Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Yokohama S.Drive Tires - BE CAREFUL!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 02:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

For the rears, it's better to shave. Your wheels aren't that aggressive to roll. It will look ugly rolled.
Old 12-25-10, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
how long was the car there sitting, looks like dry rot!
He said it was only 3 months. Tires don't usually start to dry-rot until at least 5-6 years....often more.

But only 3 months later, and under 5000 miles of driving, the rear tires are showing signs of serious stress!
Old 12-25-10, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

But only 3 months later, and under 5000 miles of driving, the rear tires are showing signs of serious stress!
How hard do you corner? BMWs are great Driver's Cars, but sometimes you can overdo it.
Old 12-25-10, 04:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How hard do you corner? BMWs are great Driver's Cars, but sometimes you can overdo it.
These are the tires on his GS460.
Old 12-25-10, 05:59 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those tires arent from hitting the fenders, they dont have a groove cut down through the tread block.
Old 12-25-10, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's caused by rubbing? wow that hurts. but rubbing would cause the tires to crack?
Old 12-25-10, 11:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Its not rubbing in the normal sense, and its not cracking...

The sharp inner edge of the fender is actually cutting the tire...

What happens is that he is sooooo close to the tires actually fitting properly that when the suspension compresses, the rounded edge of the tire pushes up on the inside edge of the sharp fender, which is fine, but as the suspension travels the other direction, the fender has more rigidity, so it cuts into the tire on the rebound...

I would venture that because it is not very bad, ie, there are only small cuts and not large chunks taken out, that the car is very rarely loaded enough in the rear to compress the suspension enough to do this very often, so it probably usually happens on hard bumps or dips and is so quiet as to not even be audible inside...

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with driving these tires this way - those cuts are not deeper than the tread is (at least from the pics I see), so they will eventually just wear away, especially if driven hard (cornering)...

I've seen this dozens or even hundreds of times... If you pull the wheels and look straight up at the inside edge of the fender, you will see a shiny spot where the tires have been touching, but just very small...

for the record, I rolled the rears on mine and they came out great - standing outside the car and you couldn't tell whatsoever... Also, they didn't lose any strength like shaving them would have...
Old 12-26-10, 03:00 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I will take a wheel off and have a look at the inner side walls of the tire! If I can see these cracks, I will assume its the tire defect! If not, then I will assume fender rubbing!

Makes sense?

BTW, they quoted me 300 bucks per tire here. ( 275/30/19 ). Expensive aren't they?
Old 12-26-10, 03:11 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by designo
I will take a wheel off and have a look at the inner side walls of the tire! If I can see these cracks, I will assume its the tire defect! If not, then I will assume fender rubbing!

Makes sense?

BTW, they quoted me 300 bucks per tire here. ( 275/30/19 ). Expensive aren't they?
Sure, wanna put any money on it?

Tires used to be my life, I worked at the busiest tire shop in all of South Texas... I've seen it all!
Old 12-26-10, 03:44 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Sure, wanna put any money on it?

Tires used to be my life, I worked at the busiest tire shop in all of South Texas... I've seen it all!
Drinks are on me this coming summer! Gonna be visiting your neck of the woods with the misses!
Old 12-26-10, 08:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by designo
Drinks are on me this coming summer! Gonna be visiting your neck of the woods with the misses!
Sounds like a plan, come look me up!
Old 12-26-10, 11:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default are these related?

see the picture I attached? What say? Are these two related?
Attached Thumbnails Yokohama S.Drive Tires - BE CAREFUL!-tire1.jpg  
Old 12-26-10, 12:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by chikoo
see the picture I attached? What say? Are these two related?
yup, its all the same thing... the top is when it just barely rubs, the part further along the sidewall that looks more serious is where the tire is wider, thus gets cut more seriously and deeper...

you are right though, it is similar in appearance to a defect that we referred to as sidewall cracking (not separation, thats a completely different defect, functionally)... When it is a defect, it is because of a faulty adherence of the different materials in the sidewall vs the tread caps and most likely that they were not vulcanized properly... When this does happen, typically, the cracks that you see go all the way to the belt package and you can easily see the steel, kevlar, nylon or polyester belts...

Also, on that particular tire, if it was a defect, thats not where it would happen - that is still tread material - the sidewall materials start at the edge of the concentric ring that has the markings inside it, or, about 1/4-3/8" below where those are. One more thing - if it was a defect, there would only be one crack, not multiple.
Old 12-26-10, 12:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ah, just one more note about tires and defect vs. damage.

Out of all the years I spent working with tires, I would say 99% of the people who thought they had a defective tire instead had a tire that was damaged due to lack of maintenance, hitting something, the effect of an improperly repaired tire (from a previous puncture), or because of something wrong with the vehicle, ie loose/worn shocks/struts, alignment, mechanical interference, etc.
Old 12-26-10, 01:50 PM
designo
Pole Position

Oh crap LOL

http://www.tiredefects.com/yokohama-tire-failure.cfm

Quick Reply: Yokohama S.Drive Tires - BE CAREFUL!