Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

*****!!!! Cracked rim!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02 | 03:13 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Default *****!!!! Cracked rim!!!

So my tire has been slowly leaking for awhile, got it to the shop to find out there is a crack in my right rear rim. They are 19" Volk, impossible to replace cause you can't find them. The crack is on the outside edge where the tire beads up. It is about 3/4" long on each side (it wraps around from the outside to the inside part of the rim). So as of now (it's only been an hour) it still only leaks slowly. It is on the inside side of the wheels (the side facing into the car not the side you see). So what the hell do I do. Should I put the stock wheels on back and look gay, or do I leave it leak slowly and always check the pressure before I drive (I have a portable pump to fill it). I don't want the problem to get worse. And wait until winter when the car will be stord and I can have the wheel sent out to be welded and hopefully fix it? That is what I would like to do. The guys at the tire place said that I could take it to most body shops, and then they would send the wheel out to be fixed. ANy help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so *****ing pissed right now!!! Grrrrrrrrr!:eek:

Last edited by mcnelson; 08-24-02 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-24-02 | 03:14 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry no pics of the crack I didn't have a camera there.
Attached Thumbnails Sh*t!!!!  Cracked rim!!!-lexus-rims.jpg  
Old 08-24-02 | 05:36 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

I know it sounds cheesy, but you might just try some of that spray stuff. I seals up small leaks pretty well, I've actually used it when I had a nail in my tire until I could take it to the shop to be plugged. Of course if the rim is in danger of cracking more, ie a safety issue, then I'd just put on the stockers until you can get it fixed properly. Hope things work out for you.
Old 08-24-02 | 05:57 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I am worried about it getting worse, then I am really screwed and can't fix it. I juts got done putting the stock on, damn it looks stupid. Oh well, any idea how or where to get it fixed? Send it to Volk, or can a body shop do it. I was told most shops (assuming they can) would ship it out somewhere to be fixed.
Old 08-24-02 | 06:00 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

well at least its the back wheel and you have the option of putting the stock rim on. something tells me that stockers wont fit over the supra brakes
Old 08-24-02 | 06:19 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I have Rod Millen brakes up front but yes they don't fit. So I would had to swap one of ther back to the front and then put the stocks on the rear.
Old 08-24-02 | 07:52 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

You can get the wheel welded
Old 08-24-02 | 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

mcnelson - don't dispair, it's fixable. In Atlanta we have a place called Wheel Wizard that can fix anything (unless the wheel was in a car crusher! ). There should be something similar in your area. If you not, you can ship the wheel to Atlanta and get it fixed.
Old 08-24-02 | 10:01 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Mcnelson:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I too own the same set of these wheels. I am begining to question the structural integrity of these rims, as I have had the same cracking rim syndrome.

When I hit a pothole, the jolt caused 2 cracks in the wheel. Just the other night, I ran something over in the road & got another 2 cracks in another wheel for my troubles. After the tire was removed from the wheel, I noticed that the previous owner must have experienced the same, as I notice that the rim had been welded in 4 previous places! DAMN.

I now know that this particular wheel from Volk have really weak edges where the tire beads on the rim. To cause insult to injury, I also believe that the rim edge cracks first, then the sudden loss of air pressure caused by the crack, causes the tire sidewall to blowout. I am even more firm in my opinion, as I discover that you are having the identical problem.

Don't get my wrong. I LOVE the way these wheels look, but I can't compromise my family's safety, as well as my own. And you how fast these cars are accelerating with turbos in them. Can you imagine what would happen if we had a crack occur under 100+ mph driving???

I am currently looking into another set of wheels, as I can't keep buying tires a $220+ a shot or welding the same rim more than 4/5 times.

I wonder who makes a wheel that is very similar in design to the Volk Seibring ITC-X??? What are your thoughts??
Old 08-24-02 | 10:12 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

MORE NEWS:

I have spoken with one of the SRT Distributors about these wheels & they said that they can acquire it from either a US Source or directly from Japan. Of course, it will take some time if they are obtained from Japan.

Let me know, as we both are pretty much in the same boat. From experience with these wheels, please do not weld them as they will crack again on the weld or worse...break in another location.
Old 08-26-02 | 09:05 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Wow wow wow... not f8cking cool. That really is not the news I wanted to hear. This is the only crack that I am aware of. That is really really really scary to know that yours have cracked that many times and had to fix the wheel as well as replace the tires. ($220 for a tire, what do you use, mine are like $275-$300) Yokahama AVS sport 265/30/19, wow 30 series will make cracking much more possible on my car. I am however happy to hear that I am not the only person with these wheels. Do you have pics of yours? Is the model that you listed the same model as mine then? I too love the way they look, but I am now scared of having problems. I might have to fix it because I can't sell them for anything because no one will buy 3 rims, and I really don't want to have to buy 4 brand new rims to replace them especialy since I can't gte any money for mine. Do you have nay more info or websites that have our wheels, I have looked and looked and can't find any info on them. Please post pics of yours.
Old 08-27-02 | 02:21 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/itc.htm

Here is the best pic of the one you mentioned that I could find. They look very similiar to mine ( look at the pic of mine that I posted) except for the fact that mine do not have the center cap. Mine have a center cap but the very middle of my cap is open unlike the one in the picture. I wonder if the guy who put the wheels on it removed that piece, I think it looks better without it myself.
Old 09-01-02 | 11:08 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I can't find anywhere that will fix my rim for me. I really don't want to spend $650 for a new rim, plus s/h, plus money to have it powdercoated black. But even then the new rim and the new paint job won't match. Anyone know of a place reasonably close to Milwaukee, WI.
Old 09-02-02 | 07:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now is a good time to upgrade...

Those wheels have had problems since way back...it's not ones of RAYS forged wheels and it's not one of their "high line" wheels...I would look into getting a set of forged lip GT-C's in 19" (coming out in October to the states)...and use a taller profile tire setup...245/40-19 and 275/35-19...
Old 09-03-02 | 01:01 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Got any pictures, cost, etc???

Quick Reply: *****!!!! Cracked rim!!!