Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Super Sports on GS460 - Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 10:05 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also just installed these tires on my 08 GS350 and all I can say is WOW!!! Like Batman said they are comparable to the PS2 but better all the way around so far. I didn't have the PS2 on my Lexus but I have them on my other car and I was close to putting the PS2 on the GS but I'm glad I didn't. I got the PSS cheaper and I love Michelin's warranty on this tire! My GS came with Primacy HP and I was really disappointed in the ride quality of that tire and they cost almost twice as much as the PSS! I really believe this tire is go to change the game.
Old 06-21-11, 10:52 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive the car in intense rain (as in tropical storm) on Sunday, and the wet weather performance of the tire is clearly a leap forward. The PS2 was always great in the rain, but if there was one thing you worried about on the PS2 - it would aquaplane in deep standing water. It was better than almost every other tire in the rain (except the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position), but deep standing water was a challenge.

With the Pilot Super Sports, I went through several patches of deeper standing water (where the splash on the side of the car was higher than the car). The Pilot Super Sports just cut the water like a knife through butter. It was very surprising grip. Also the car did not get jittery under moderate-strong acceleration or when weaving through traffic. There was a Porsche Cayenne S carving through the traffic ahead of me, and I caught and passed that car, which gives you an idea of the quality of the traction.

My girlfriend who normally gets scared and freaks out when I am driving in the rain, said she enjoyed the drive a lot. Its another sign of how stable the car was in very slippery conditions.
Old 06-24-11, 11:53 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I had the opportunity to drive the car in intense rain (as in tropical storm) on Sunday, and the wet weather performance of the tire is clearly a leap forward. The PS2 was always great in the rain, but if there was one thing you worried about on the PS2 - it would aquaplane in deep standing water. It was better than almost every other tire in the rain (except the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position), but deep standing water was a challenge.

With the Pilot Super Sports, I went through several patches of deeper standing water (where the splash on the side of the car was higher than the car). The Pilot Super Sports just cut the water like a knife through butter. It was very surprising grip. Also the car did not get jittery under moderate-strong acceleration or when weaving through traffic. There was a Porsche Cayenne S carving through the traffic ahead of me, and I caught and passed that car, which gives you an idea of the quality of the traction.

My girlfriend who normally gets scared and freaks out when I am driving in the rain, said she enjoyed the drive a lot. Its another sign of how stable the car was in very slippery conditions.
Very good to hear ... Living in the SF area... I need tires that can handle all sores of weather (Except snow! ...).
Old 06-25-11, 03:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Thanks Batty, I will consider these on my next purchase! I got the PS2's on my M5 and love them. I'm just a little concerned with life span of these tires!
I was able to get 35k miles on my factory PS2's for my IS F. I expect to get more out of the Pilot Super Sports i've had on my car for a month now. I've put about 1,200 miles now and the tires are quieter (if thats even possible) than the PS2's they replace.
Old 07-20-11, 05:36 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird.. I have a brand new set of those on my GS460 and it breaks loose through first gear on full throttle acceleration on certain pavements.
Old 07-20-11, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
Weird.. I have a brand new set of those on my GS460 and it breaks loose through first gear on full throttle acceleration on certain pavements.
could be the pavement itself, that makes huge difference. if you do it on polished concrete with mist, you can pretty much light up anything
Old 07-20-11, 06:32 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the tires cold? They need to heat up to grip better.
Old 07-21-11, 06:05 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rider
If these are "brand new" tires they still have the mold release soaked into the rubber to help pop them out of the mold when they're made. This takes a few hundred miles or a few really aggressive laps around a track to wear off. This makes the tires seem a bit slick at first, but believe me they will hook up very nice when they are warm and have this residue worn off. I've driving lots of tires on our test track and have also driven these tires back to back against the other best in class max performance summer tires and the grip these tires have is almost scary. On the 3 series bimmers we use to test the tire, it was more of an instance where the tire out performed the car...... I could have thrown more at that tire than the vehicle had to offer. The best thing is Michelin added all of this extra grip and increased tread life 30% over the PS2!

Read and watch "Clash of the Titans": http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...&affiliate=DZ1
Old 07-21-11, 07:23 AM
teloson
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your detailed review. I wonder whether I can mount this if I live in north Texas with mild winter weather. I really love these tires.
Old 07-21-11, 08:27 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Ideal operating temps are 35-40 degrees or above, if it goes lower than that and you drive it will not damage the tire. However, just keep in mind the rubber will be very hard and stiff so you will not be able to push the tire as hard and definitely no snow or ice.
Old 07-21-11, 01:58 PM
teloson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zig@tr
Ideal operating temps are 35-40 degrees or above, if it goes lower than that and you drive it will not damage the tire. However, just keep in mind the rubber will be very hard and stiff so you will not be able to push the tire as hard and definitely no snow or ice.
Thanks Zig! I'll go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus instead.
Old 07-22-11, 03:01 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I am not happy with the PS2's on my M5. Traction light comes on with every blip of the throttle! Tarmac temperatures around here are usually 150 to 170
Old 07-22-11, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
I am not happy with the PS2's on my M5. Traction light comes on with every blip of the throttle! Tarmac temperatures around here are usually 150 to 170
that's because too much power in your m5
Old 07-21-12, 03:28 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was able to get 17,000 miles out of my PSS's on my rears....