Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 09:50 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Anyway, attempting to return to topic a bit- regarding the DWS... they do offer a 50k mile tread life warranty, so as long as you're ok with the relevant fine print on it, you're certain to get more tread life out of them than any of the summer performance tires mentioned (but, again, you won't get as good acceleration, handling, or braking in anything other than snow)

I'm going to disagree with that statement. I would bet large sums of money that a person with DWS's and a person with strictly summer tires would out accelerate the other. In fact the DWS are lighter than 90% of the tires out there. Less rolling resistance. I wouldn't go to say that you would accelerate quicker but certainly not slower. With traction control off at full throttle off the line I get maybe 1 to 2 chirps and i'm gone. With the stock bridgestones i was spinning them all through first and chirping 2nd. I do agree that they will have worse handling but like i said before unless your wanting to take on ramps at 70mph then who cares.
Old 06-01-11, 10:01 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I'm going to disagree with that statement. I would bet large sums of money that a person with DWS's and a person with strictly summer tires would out accelerate the other. In fact the DWS are lighter than 90% of the tires out there. Less rolling resistance. I wouldn't go to say that you would accelerate quicker but certainly not slower. With traction control off at full throttle off the line I get maybe 1 to 2 chirps and i'm gone. With the stock bridgestones i was spinning them all through first and chirping 2nd. I do agree that they will have worse handling but like i said before unless your wanting to take on ramps at 70mph then who cares.
I assume you are saying because the DWS is lighter it should accelerate faster? I don't think tire weight is the issue. Its tire rubber compound and tread pattern that will make the summer's accelerate faster.

In my personal experience the stock summer tires are totally worthless in any amount of snow. We don't get much snow here in the Portland area but when we do its a complete pain to get around..>Inexperienced drivers, no use of salt (thankfully) and minimal road plowing...not enough snow to warrant the expenses the cities would have to pay to purchase and maintain the equipment.

A few years go with the stock summer tires, I tried to drive in a a couple of inches of snow..Got 50 feet from my house and the traction control wouldn't allow me to move at all..Finally shut it off..took 45 minutes and a neighbor pushing to get me back in the driveway..

So its A/S for me regardless of the somewhat minimal performance defecits they bring...I don't drive that hard (especially in rush hour traffic) to miss the performance gain summer tires would bring. Plus extra miles out of A/S tires is a big plus
Old 06-01-11, 10:17 AM
Numbahz
Driver

I think they are a great tire, they were on my car when I got my CPO and its been 3 months of my use + however long the previuos owner had them guessing 6~ish months due to very minimal wear. They seem like a excellent affordable tire, I would prob choose mich. tires myself but @ near double the cost (tire rack) I think they handle very well, I've never slipped once in heavy rain or dry pavement, they are farily quite I do hear a hollowish sound on the highway (concrete pavement only) @ high speeds. I live in NY so we get all sorts of weather here so a All Season tire is ideal however next summer I prob will have 2 sets of wheels 18" summer and OEM 17" for winter since the wheels are dinged up already a bit.

Overall I think a great tire @ a excellent cost !
Old 06-01-11, 10:26 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,347 Posts

FWIW, Consumer reports tested some tires (including HiPo tires) last November. I've attached their test results. The DW and DWS did well in their tests, as did Kurtz's Hankook V12s.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Continental Extreme Contact DWS-hipo-tires.jpg   Continental Extreme Contact DWS-as-hipo-tires.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 06-01-11 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 10:41 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I was going to buy the Contis, but decided on the kumho ecsta plats instead. Have you looked into those? When I was looking at tires, I was flip flopping back and forth between 3 sets until discount tire offered me a really good deal and an instant rebate.
Old 06-01-11, 10:48 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
FWIW, Consumer reports tested some tires (including HiPo tires) last November. I've attached their test results. The DW and DWS did well in their tests, as did Kurtz's Hankook V12s.

Lou
So really not much of a difference between the V12s and the DW according to this. One brakes better in the rain and one is better against hydroplaning. So the thing that would push me towards the DW is they are asymmetrical. With the V12 I would have no rotation options. The price between the two is a pretty small gap.
Old 06-01-11, 11:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk08
So really not much of a difference between the V12s and the DW according to this. One brakes better in the rain and one is better against hydroplaning. So the thing that would push me towards the DW is they are asymmetrical. With the V12 I would have no rotation options. The price between the two is a pretty small gap.
Well, I'm not sure I'd call 50% a small gap... ($112 vs $163 in their chart)

Unfortunately they don't give raw performance data there so we can judge better, but yeah, I'd expect that overall the DW (not DWS) to be pretty close overall to the V12, other than costing half again as much.

Originally Posted by my95tsi
It just so happens I have large sums of money that disagree with you... let me known when you'll be in the area and we'll hit the track so I can take your money

When I did my sprintbooster testing, with traction control off, full throttle off the line, I got no chirps before I took off.

and forget handling, where you agree the DWS loses... how about braking? regardless of how fast you take ramps, you do stop the car, right?

the v12s stops shorter.

I'll take tires with better stopping distance all day every day... the fact they'll also handle better, and likely accelerate better, are a nice bonus.
Old 06-01-11, 01:01 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Unfortunately they don't give raw performance data there so we can judge better, but yeah, I'd expect that overall the DW (not DWS) to be pretty close overall to the V12, other than costing half again as much.

It just so happens I have large sums of money that disagree with you... let me known when you'll be in the area and we'll hit the track so I can take your money

When I did my sprintbooster testing, with traction control off, full throttle off the line, I got no chirps before I took off.

and forget handling, where you agree the DWS loses... how about braking? regardless of how fast you take ramps, you do stop the car, right?

the v12s stops shorter.

I'll take tires with better stopping distance all day every day... the fact they'll also handle better, and likely accelerate better, are a nice bonus.
Any day my friend...any day. However since you're taking me up on the offer, you come to me. I'll send you my address and we can meet at Great Lakes Dragway. The same track I ran a 13.23 at 4 weeks ago with 3/4 tank of gas. We both have 2008 IS350's with the sport package. You have the Tanabe exhaust, I have the Lexus HKS. You have the F Sport intake and so do I. I don't have sways but that won't matter for going in a straight line. I have Black Onyx Cashmere you have Black Saphire Pearl Cashmere. Oh and I did make my 13.23 run with the t/c on. Be interesting to see what i'd run with t/c off and 1/4 tank of gas.

Last edited by my95tsi; 06-01-11 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 01:02 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

Well those prices are not accurate. Using 235/35/19 & 265/30/19 as an example the V12s are $692 and the Contis are $876 on tirerack.com. $184 (22%) is something I would consider a small gap.

What part of NC are you from? My father lives on Lake Norman and I visit him regularly.

Last edited by dmk08; 06-01-11 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-11, 01:28 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk08
Well those prices are not accurate. Using 235/35/19 & 265/30/19 as an example the V12s are $692 and the Contis are $876 on tirerack.com. $184 (22%) is something I would consider a small gap.

What part of NC are you from? My father lives on Lake Norman and I visit him regularly.

I'm in the RTP area, bout 3 hours east of Lake Norman...

which honestly sucks for tracks- nearly 1/4 miles are 90 minutes southeast or to the west... there's an 1/8 mile about 45 min away supposedly going to expand to 1/4 mile but hasn't yet... all of em are a whole lot closer than chicago though...and I'm of the opinion the guy who made the offer in the first place (my95tsi) should be the one who has to travel to back it up

(though technically the only true test of just the tires would be testing both sets of tires on the same car)

As to the price difference on the non-S DW tires versus the V12s... matter of opinion I suppose...(and it's a bigger difference for stock tire sizes) if performance is about the same and one is 28% cheaper (28, not 22, with the current Hankook rebate... or indeed ~35% cheaper as they are in stock 18" size), I'd take the cheaper personally... that's about a free set of tires for every 3 or 4 sets.

If I was going to spend more on tires I'd want better tires, not ones that are about even in performance... in which case I'd probably be looking to the Michelin super sports, which ought outperform the contis or the hankooks, though not by nearly a margin equal to their price ($976 for 4 on tire rack in stock 18" IS350 sizes... versus $754 for the Conti DW and only $498 (w/$60 rebate) for the Hankook V12s)

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-02-11 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-06-11, 01:17 PM
ketomon
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced a set with Michelin's because they wore out after 27k miles. They were quiet and handled well, but did not give anywhere near the mileage expected. They rotated every 6k, but it didn't help. They were on an 06 ls430.
Old 06-07-11, 09:41 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ They have warranty did you use it, if your tire wears evenly to 2/32nds before 50k, and you have receipts of rotations for every 6-8k miles. they will prorate it.

But Conti gives dealers of their tires a thick book of what to look for, they are strict when it comes to warranty things.

I am about 15k on the DWS on the G. I drive 60 miles a day for school so I cant have some summers that wear out quick. But the DWS seems to not be lasting as long as I thought, all the angled tread is all gone. The tire has lost some grip in both wet and dry conditions.

Wet the DWS is still good, In the Dry I would rather have my Eagle RSA's.

I dont think you can find a tire that is as bad as the RSA's in the Wet heh.
Old 06-13-11, 12:48 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Who wants to drive a tire to 2/32nds before replacing......IMHO traction, hydroplaning, noise and comfort begin to deteriorate significantly around 5/32nds and I just don't want to even drive at less than 4/32nds unless it is around the block.

I had a set of V12's on my GS400 that I rotated and at 12K miles they were down to less than 5/32nds. They were great for 12K miles but I doubt I could get 15K out of a set under any circumstances.
Old 06-14-11, 11:12 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

I have the DWS on my soarer, its a pretty amazing tire.. Although, one summer and the rear tires are worn down to the point where the S is no longer showing much, (the built in tread wear indicator)
Living where i do, i can say this.. Winter traction is nonexistant. Ive had better winter traction with the hydroedge as an all season..

I mainly chose these tires over the DW simply because i figured the higher treadware rating would be of benefit.. but If im replacing them Every year, or every other year, I dont know if i would just stay with DWS or try the DW..
Im so pleased with the traction otherwise though Ill stick with the conti extreme contacts
Old 06-24-11, 10:20 AM
Initial J
Driver

yeah the new DWS's have a better rubber compound so they are a new and improved tire, a couple years ago they weren't so great. however now every time im at work the high end expensive cars rave about the DWS. the tread design is awesome.