Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Any GS ownders with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 12:10 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any GS ownders with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires installed?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I am going to spend quite a bit of money for these tires (to replace my horrible factory Bridgeston RE030s on the 17" rims).

The RE030's are just getting too loud. Even the sound system can't drown out how loud they sounds now (they have 20K miles on them now).

I am wondering for those that already have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, is it worth the premium you pay for them and do you feel that it is a quiet and refined tire as well as a sporty and great handling tire?

I'd have to say that is tempting since it does it all and it is actually sold also as a winter tire. But when a tire does it all there must be some draw backs?

Any comments?
Old 09-13-02, 12:30 AM
kdl001
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were on my GS4 when i purchased it in July. I like them they don't seem very loud and Michelin has a great reputation. I dont push the Lex hard at all so i could not rate its traction.

This is the second set I have owned and if money isn't a factor I don't think you would be dissapointed with them. My other car is a 5sp T-Bird SC and it has Z rated Michelins on it. I push this one hard and I love the tires.
Old 09-13-02, 12:41 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

man they are sweet. i got them with my car cuz the previous owner had them. little dissapointed that the previous owner put on 225's instead of 235's, but still, they are great. thumbs up if you don't care about spending 200+ for each tire.
Old 09-13-02, 01:10 PM
chowder
Driver

i have 5K on mine. turn in still sharp. quiet and smooth. resistant to tramline. they are a pleasure on the highway. have gotten them to squeal on a turn once. hasn't rained enough in the mid-atlantic for me to fully judge their wet weather performance. zero complaints.
Old 09-13-02, 09:06 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by chowder
i have 5K on mine. turn in still sharp. quiet and smooth. resistant to tramline. they are a pleasure on the highway. have gotten them to squeal on a turn once. hasn't rained enough in the mid-atlantic for me to fully judge their wet weather performance. zero complaints.
Man oh man! I will place the order for the tires this weekend. Thanks for all your opinions! I don't want to get my hopes up high, but anything better than the RE030s is good enough for me. Quiet, Smooth, won't trammel, that is my dream and I hope I can get close to achieving it when I swap the tires out. I'll keep you updated when I get them on and do some testing of my own!
Old 09-14-02, 06:44 PM
Paradise
Rookie

Default TOYO TYRES & NITROGEN

I have just had TOYO TS-1 TYRES installed all around. I had them filled with NITROGEN too.

The previous tyres were yokohamas that were on when I bought it.

I noticed an immedeate firmer footing and definite increased grip through corners (I live in the countryside here).

The Toyos are much chaper than the Michelins and althugh I'd like to compare I douby for the money (1/3 extra) that the perfoirmance can be that much better.

The TS-1s have the most sexy tread you've ever seen too. A huge V rut. My wheels look better than ever.

I went for Toyo because I had some on my previous car and they impressed me in the wet, when going through flooded roads when the snow was melting I could feel and see the difference. Water wasnt splashing very much wheras before at similar speed it'd splash as high as my window.

Let us know how the Michelins go.