Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Hawk Ceramic pads & Centric rotors A+

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 11:28 AM
NERD42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures Hawk Ceramic pads & Centric rotors A+

Let me first say sorry about the wait, I have been super busy. However I have completed the front brake job along with a brake flush. I have taken pictures and will post them up when I get the chance. Total time working was 2 hours nice and slow while taking pictures. It could definitely be done in 30 minutes without the flush of course, now that I know how to do it! I will be posting the pictures as soon as I can.

A little refresher on the whip, it is 2008 ISF with 37k miles and I drive it five days a week… maybe only 5-7 miles total in a day, but those are the hardest miles that car will see to and from work. Oh yes no wispy foot here, it’s all business on the way to work and home! The only modifications are Eibach springs.

Products:
Brembo brake lube copper based
3M copper based anti-seize
Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads
Centric Premium Rotor Cryo-Prep’d

I have to say these hawk ceramic pads are really constructed well. It’s obvious they know what they’re doing when it comes to brake pads. The centric rotors are a perfect swap (we all know Brembo is still king of stopping at 400$+ per rotor) if you are trying to save more than a few bucks these are what you want!

First let’s start with the pads; they are Hawk performance Ceramic Pads. Plenty of pad surface with a nice rubberized coating on the back to minimize shim plate movement. They do have a cooling slot in the middle to aid against brake fade, also there looks to be sensor cutouts, which shows they may be adaptable to other applications. They do not have the wear indicators, so if you are not into checking your brakes at every oil change you will need to start doing so. They are nice and thick painted black.

HAHAHA is all I could do as I looked at these beautiful rotors. They are nice! The people over at Centric have really done themselves a great justice with the workmanship of the ISF’s rotor. It comes with the inner surface (front & back) painted black as well as the outside edges to prevent rust, corrosion and protect the back of the rim. The stock rotors are not coated and they rust badly. The centric rotor compared to the stock one shows advancement in cooling with far greater cooling fins I would approximate at least twice as many. I put a micrometer on the centric rotor and got 30.12mm new; the stock rotor was at 27.20 mm after 37k miles. I will try and resurface the stock ones and see how they turn out…literary.

I did manage to do some driving around town and have about 75 miles on them so far. I have to say the initial bite has been smoothed out. I would like you to keep in mind everyone has a different feel for the brakes, however when I say smoothed out I mean they have a nice grip without feeling like your face is going to be ripped off. Only when hard braking force is applied will my guts be forced forward! The set up is nice and the price is low. I am happy with the results and I will post back when I have a few more miles on the car. I highly recommend this set up.

Last edited by NERD42; 08-09-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 05:31 PM
NERD42
Driver

Could not get the picture to work but here they are on my other forum....

http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/sh...8650#post28650
Old 08-10-11, 05:47 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The cryo-treated Centric rotors are some of the best The Tire Rack carries. Centric does a very nice job of replicating the OE rotor and making improvements where they can. The OE rotor is just raw metal which will rust and usually become imbalanced with time also the OE rotor receives the standard heat treatment to harden the metal. By cryogenically treating (extreme cold hardening) the rotors Centric makes a product far more resistant to warping than any heat treated rotor can achieve. Also, the entire rotor is also powder coated and then the braking surface is machined down to expose the face. This leaves you with a completely protected and more aesthetically pleasing rotor. As of now, Power Slot rotors can be ordered cryo-treated as well.

Take a look at the cryo-treated rotors we offer!

Brake Rotor Selection