Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

one of the most ridiculous things i've heard in some time żżż

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 04:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
yeah i feel you ^ ^ ^ and am a lot more confident in my own winter driving skills, however this is the car that my wife will often drive in inclement weather as well and now you guys got me all paranoid so i will prolly be putting these tires on the rear then and i suppose i may buy two more for the front in the near future.

i suppose if the fronts can't get enough traction to make it through a little bit of wintry weather than the vehicle/driver prolly shouldn't be out in the first place.

i just had flash backs of living in CO and trying to drive my GS400... i intentionally had my better tires put on the rear and on a lot of occasions actually needed it to get traction to make it up a hill, so i figured the reverse would be true on this super front weighted light FWD hatchback.
I bought the wife a full time 4wd truck (our Vehicross) and then went ahead and installed the best All-Terrains with the best snow traction possible (Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's) because this will be her first winter driving in snow and ice... I know I can get around in just about anything, I grew up in this junk, but she may have driven on snow/ice a couple times, tops...

As a side note, just went to look on Tire Racks reviews site... It is funny how the reviews don't always reflect the real world... Here's how I know - I have personally driven both the Firestone Destination A/T's and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's... Very recently even... I know 100% for a fact that the Dueler is a better tire across the board than the Destination A/T. I haven't had either on snow or ice yet, but, aside from those two, the Revo's are quieter and smoother with significantly better wet weather handling. I also know that both tires are capable of exceeding their mileage warranties but in general, the Revo's are lasting longer, which the survey shows the exact opposite... I think a big reason these surveys don't reflect real world is that people are rating tires against what they feel a tire should be able to do, not against other tires in the same segment...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 11-14-11 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 09:57 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I bought the wife a full time 4wd truck (our Vehicross) and then went ahead and installed the best All-Terrains with the best snow traction possible (Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's) because this will be her first winter driving in snow and ice... I know I can get around in just about anything, I grew up in this junk, but she may have driven on snow/ice a couple times, tops...

As a side note, just went to look on Tire Racks reviews site... It is funny how the reviews don't always reflect the real world... Here's how I know - I have personally driven both the Firestone Destination A/T's and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's... Very recently even... I know 100% for a fact that the Dueler is a better tire across the board than the Destination A/T. I haven't had either on snow or ice yet, but, aside from those two, the Revo's are quieter and smoother with significantly better wet weather handling. I also know that both tires are capable of exceeding their mileage warranties but in general, the Revo's are lasting longer, which the survey shows the exact opposite... I think a big reason these surveys don't reflect real world is that people are rating tires against what they feel a tire should be able to do, not against other tires in the same segment...

yeah i've found that certain reviews (including tires) are just peoples opinions and vary heavily depending on their own knowledge and experience level. sometimes i just laugh and go with my own gut feeling.
Old 11-18-11, 04:10 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys think this applies to large stretched staggered set up. I really ask because i've had my set on for around 10k miles, i want to swap out the fronts cause of camber wear and the rears look good still. but with this makes me want to change all 4, just the $$ now would be a limiting factor.
Old 11-18-11, 05:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by weesped
Do you guys think this applies to large stretched staggered set up. I really ask because i've had my set on for around 10k miles, i want to swap out the fronts cause of camber wear and the rears look good still. but with this makes me want to change all 4, just the $$ now would be a limiting factor.
If the rear tires are still in good shape, I wouldn't worry about it... if they are getting pretty worn too, then its a consideration worth looking in to... new tires come with 10 or 11/32 tread depth, depending on the tire... if they are less than half worn (6/32), then I wouldn't worry about it... less than 6/32 remaining, might be time for new rear tires as well...
Old 11-18-11, 05:34 AM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some tire stores insist on installing two new tires on the rear wheels of vehicles when the fronts are worn, and moving the old rear tires to the front--much to the dismay of many customers who want the new tires on the front. So, who's right?

Actually, I agree with the stores, as do the tire companies. Here's why: In dry, clear weather it really doesn't make much difference. But if the road is wet, the new, full-treaded tires are less likely to lose traction than the partly worn ones. If you're hauling ants down the road and come to a wet curve, the full-treaded tires on the rear will stay behind you, where they belong.

If the rear tires have less tread, there's a greater chance that they will slip, putting your rear bumper into the ditch. Okay, if the front tires skid, there's the chance you might go off the road, too--but at least it'll be headfirst, where your seatbelts and airbags offer more protection.
Old 11-18-11, 05:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by princerani
Some tire stores insist on installing two new tires on the rear wheels of vehicles when the fronts are worn, and moving the old rear tires to the front--much to the dismay of many customers who want the new tires on the front. So, who's right?

Actually, I agree with the stores, as do the tire companies. Here's why: In dry, clear weather it really doesn't make much difference. But if the road is wet, the new, full-treaded tires are less likely to lose traction than the partly worn ones. If you're hauling ants down the road and come to a wet curve, the full-treaded tires on the rear will stay behind you, where they belong.

If the rear tires have less tread, there's a greater chance that they will slip, putting your rear bumper into the ditch. Okay, if the front tires skid, there's the chance you might go off the road, too--but at least it'll be headfirst, where your seatbelts and airbags offer more protection.
Thanks for the agree!