Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Dumb question - wheel offsets

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 10:55 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb question - wheel offsets

I was just noticing today how my wheels could be pushed out just a little more to line up with my fenders. Now I have no idea how offset is changed, but I'm guessing with spacers? How do I go about widening my wheel stance? I have new tires and lowering springs in transit and want to get the offset right as well to complete the entire appearance. Thanks, and once again sorry for my ignorance...
Old 10-09-02, 11:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Lex400sc,

There have been a couple of good posts in the GS forum on using spacers with stock wheels to push them out. Different application, but same theory.

Link one

Link two

HTH
Old 10-10-02, 01:07 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Dave! So what I gather from these threads is that spacers are a safe and proper modification?

Any recommendations on 15mm or 25mm spacers, or a combo of both? My wheels are 17x8 and 17x9.5. I made some crude measurements and 1-inch, which is about 25mm, looks about perfect.
Old 10-10-02, 01:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Not sure about spacing, will leave that for Will & other experts...

On 'proper modification' it's kind of a split. My take on it is that if you aren't going to do autocross and/or put a lot of undue stress on your wheels, you'll be just fine. The folks that have had them haven't posted about any specific problems that I've read.

And they certainly do a great job of filling in that unsightly wheel gap that our Lexus seem to come with. I'd go for it but only with the higher quality spacers. I was considering getting them if I'd kept my stock 17's.
Old 10-10-02, 04:12 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I want to get the 25mm spacers, but I'll probably just buy the 15mm ones to be safe unless the wheel gurus tell me otherwise. What is the difference between a "quality" and a generic spacer? It's just a solid metal disc, I can't imagine too much difference. Just curious where my extra money is going.

My understanding is that they are very easy to install yourself, right? No special tools needed besides a torque wrench, breaker bar, and Lexus car jack? Thanks!

Last edited by lex400sc; 10-10-02 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-10-02, 11:58 AM
Wheel Experts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Lexus (and all other japanese cars), if you use more than 10mm spacers, you're going to need to remove the hubs and press out the wheel studs (using a hydraulic press) and replace them with longer studs, otherwise you won't have enough thread pitch. The european cars use lug "bolts" instead of lug "nuts" which makes spacer installation a snap (because you can just use different bolts).

Last edited by Wheel Experts; 10-10-02 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 12:27 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Lex400sc,

I have the H&R 15mm spacer that I bought to push the rears out a little. They work great. The difference in these vs. the cheaper models is that they are specially made and not universal fit. Stronger in contruction. The hub center matches up perfectly and stays so tight that I can change the rim out and it doesn't come off.

To install rears, I didn't have to take the hubs out. Just knock out the old studs and feed back the new ones. However, you will need to seat them with a kit. The kit is a couple of bucks from Sears. Or you can do it the 'shade tree mechanic' way and just take open ended lugs and cranks them into place. Both methods work great.

If you want me to help you, you gotta drive to Sac this time.

MW
Old 10-10-02, 10:36 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I was at Winston today and asked the mechanic to show me some spacers. He brought out a whole bunch of generic spacers and the one that actually fit my hub was a poor fit. I told him thanks anyway. Looks like it's H&R for me... probably 15mm...

Matt, I'll let you know when
Old 10-10-02, 10:43 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Next weekend we can do it all. I just got a set of Supra Sways to mount up and take pics.

MW
Old 10-10-02, 11:10 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Matt, how hard is it to install springs yourself? I'm going to be getting some Eibachs in the mail probably Friday or Saturday. Just curious because that'd make it perfect. Suspension day at Matt's house! I'd like to see your Supra sways anyway
Old 10-11-02, 12:13 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Default um, time out

lex400sc, you may be sorry if you change your offset, especially in front, especially 25mm, that's an inch, half the stock offset, your track centers will be 2 inches farther apart, moving the lever arm out like that will make the camber way negative at the same settings, you will find the car to be twitchy and I bet you will hate the "tramlining" as the Brits call it - the tendency for the car's tracking to get upset by worn pavement, seams in the roadway, etc. The car will turn in more aggressively when cornering, but it will be tiring to drive every day. You will probably have to get the front end aligned to dial out that much negative camber, and the settings will then be way out at one end of the adjustment range, which means less allowance for wear, which becomes a reliability issue.

I'd say don't go less than +42 or maybe +40 in front. Have you read Iain Wiltshire's treatises on suspension, wheels and tires on the LSOC site (it's back up, by the way)? Go here:

http://www.lexusclub.co.uk/forum/

click on "editorial features"

I don't have my TT wheels fitted yet, but I'm stickin' with the stock offset when I do - they look sooo much better than the stock wheels, I will be satisfied (maybe) - -

Just a geezer's $0.02 - -
Old 10-11-02, 01:22 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I always thought the tranlining happens to all lowered cars with rims and low pro tires.
Old 10-11-02, 01:41 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't tramlining = roadfeel? I dunno, I may be mixing terminology. How about 15mm spacers on the rear end only?
Old 10-11-02, 02:00 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

15mm on the rear won't hurt your steering at all.

I think he was refering to the fronts only.

Tramlining is when you get on uneven pavement (half on new pavement half on old pavement) and the car starts to dive left or right without any force to the wheel. This is because the car likes to jump the groove...

MW
Old 10-11-02, 02:09 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is it normal to tramline when you have say 18" rims and low profile tires? Or does it only tramline when the offset is wrong??? Im confused

Quick Reply: Dumb question - wheel offsets