Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. General G-MAX AS-03

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 10:29 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. General G-MAX AS-03

Im in the market to buy some all season tires for my Lexus IS250 AWD. These are the two im stuck between.

Continental DWS seems like a popular favorite, but i do sometimes hear some negative feedback about them such as increased road noise after some wear, and a soft side wall. Does a soft side wall mean it is more prone to bubbling after hitting a pothole?

The General G-MAX is a fairly new tire and there isn't much review on them. All the reviews and feedback i have read so far is nothing but good. The price is lower then the Continentals as well. At this point i dont doubt that either tire is good. I believe they are both good choices.

My question is how do they compare to each other? I want to get the best overall tire for my needs. I live on the east coast so i do face winter. I certainly want my tires to preform well in all conditions, be quiet, be durable, and wear at a good rate.

The sizes i will be getting are 225/35/19 and 265/30/19

Can people with experience with either or both tires chime in? Which do you believe is the better tire?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-12, 02:18 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i currently have a set of dws on my lexus gs300 (on 18's) & my wifes 06 civic (16's).

we went through 2 winters now with the same tires so they prob have around 10k miles on them. at this point on the civic there is a bit of road noise but i believe its because of the limited sound deadening materials used in the hondas compared to a luxury vehicle. my wife says its a big difference driving in the snow with these wheels next to her oem bridgestones that originally came with the vehicle. reason for swithching out her oems tires was because only at 15-20k the tires were completelyyyy bald.

the lexus on the other hand the ride is still quiet, YES it does have a pretty soft sidewall but it helps if youre looking into a comfortable ride with bigger wheels. i had a set of yokohama avids on the same rims before this set and i can feel the difference between the 2 when hitting normal uneven road conditions that i take to work on a daily basis. one bad thing is ive managed to get 2 small dents on my wheels from hitting potholes staying with the recommended 32psi. i bumped it up to 36psi and so far so good but the ride is slightly harsher. overall i would def. stay with continental for my next set since these tires have been good to me and my family. hope this helps!
Old 01-24-12, 06:00 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man, definitely helps. Yea no doubts the DWS is a great tire. I'm probably gonna go with them!
Old 01-31-12, 06:10 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The Continental DWS is a very good choice and will do a bit better in the snow and ice. Overall, these tires are rated #2 and #3 in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category and you can not go wrong with either one. You pay a bit more initially for the Continental but you do get 1 year road hazard protection at no charge and you have a 50K tread life warranty.

Ultra High Performance All Season - Survey Results
Old 01-31-12, 09:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
i currently have a set of dws on my lexus gs300 (on 18's) & my wifes 06 civic (16's).

we went through 2 winters now with the same tires so they prob have around 10k miles on them. at this point on the civic there is a bit of road noise but i believe its because of the limited sound deadening materials used in the hondas compared to a luxury vehicle. my wife says its a big difference driving in the snow with these wheels next to her oem bridgestones that originally came with the vehicle. reason for swithching out her oems tires was because only at 15-20k the tires were completelyyyy bald.

the lexus on the other hand the ride is still quiet, YES it does have a pretty soft sidewall but it helps if youre looking into a comfortable ride with bigger wheels. i had a set of yokohama avids on the same rims before this set and i can feel the difference between the 2 when hitting normal uneven road conditions that i take to work on a daily basis. one bad thing is ive managed to get 2 small dents on my wheels from hitting potholes staying with the recommended 32psi. i bumped it up to 36psi and so far so good but the ride is slightly harsher. overall i would def. stay with continental for my next set since these tires have been good to me and my family. hope this helps!
That's true on tires with soft side walls. If you got low profiles 35 and below, definitely put at least 35-40 psi in the tires or else you can damage your rims. I run 40 psi on my 19's. I got Hankooks V12 and they got soft sidewalls too.
Old 02-01-12, 04:27 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also forgot to mention these tires have a "curved" sidewall which might play into the softness. my old tires has a straight sidewall which helped in protecting the lip of my rim bulk looked "bulky" from a side profile. if you have a low but not slammed drop this could help with getting away without a roll/shave