Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

The dealer put my car thru the auto wash and damaged my Vossens,can they be repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 12:15 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dealer put my car thru the auto wash and damaged my Vossens,can they be repaired?

I took my GS in for service and some warranty work last week. I noticed my car was washed(they didn't wash it last time) and when I got home I wiped off the wheels to noticed the drivers side rear rim had a big scuff and small dent in it.

I have just recently put Vossen's 20x10.5 rears, stainless lips etc....on the car, and know with these or my past wheels with my other GS's not to put them on a track in a car wash. I didn't think of addressing it at the time of dropping the car off but for a fact they put it on a track and damaged a wheel.

Anyways, they were pretty cool about the situation, as it can be a figure pointing game, but it isn't curb rash and I don't even bring the car anywhere with one way streets.

Brought it there when they had their wheel refinisher there, as they wanted to see if they could fix it. So me and the Service Manager said try, they sanded, wet sanded and refinished the wheel. They did a pretty good job honestly but I still see 2 dimples and in certain lights you can see a blemish or the sand marks....so I am not settling, they are brand new, barely ever driven on etc...you just can't have anything custom or nice these days!

Anyways can the Stainless lips on the Vossens be repaired or replaced as I have read they may just be a cap over the alloy? I will push for them to replace the wheel but just seeing my options. Below are the pics before they tried to repair the wheel.

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails The dealer put my car thru the auto wash and damaged my Vossens,can they be repaired?-p1020065.jpg   The dealer put my car thru the auto wash and damaged my Vossens,can they be repaired?-p1020067.jpg  

Last edited by SLVRGS; 01-12-12 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Adding a comment
Old 01-12-12, 05:23 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are not stainless lips and yes it can repaired. but really no wheel will be perfect for ever. like new car the first ding or knick is the hardest after that they get easier
Old 01-12-12, 07:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
they are not stainless lips and yes it can repaired. but really no wheel will be perfect for ever. like new car the first ding or knick is the hardest after that they get easier
They are not polished, and if they were sanding on them, good chance they weren't chrome either...

which leaves, stainless...

if they are indeed stainless, I've never known of anyone to be able to repair them... the stainless lip is pressed / bonded to the wheel and there is no way to make them perfect again...
Old 01-12-12, 07:13 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are aluminum with a clear coat. not stainless steel. he polished the clear coat and the damage thats into the aluminum is what cant just be wet sanded and buffed out like they attempted to do.
Old 01-12-12, 07:16 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
they are aluminum with a clear coat. not stainless steel. he polished the clear coat and the damage thats into the aluminum is what cant just be wet sanded and buffed out like they attempted to do.
According to Vossen's site, they are indeed stainless http://www.vossenwheels.com/wheels/VVS083.aspx
Old 01-14-12, 10:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

They are stainless which mine are as well unless there the CV3's which i think aren't