Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

tires that track straight

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 09:38 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default tires that track straight

My Lexus 2005 LS430 has 4 new Conti DWS in 245/45/18. For some unknown reason, the car does not want to drive straight down any stretch of highway - ever. It does NOT pull left or right, it just wanders, and requires a LOT of steering effort to keep the car in it's lane. As a result, long trips in this car are unpleasant.

Strangely, the car drives much MUCH better on the winter set up - cheap Firestone Winterforce snow tires on 17 inch wheels.

I have had 3 alignments this past year, and it's improved somewhat, but not nearly enough.

Even though I have only driven maybe 5,000 miles on the Contis, I have decided to
1. try another set of tires on these 18 inch wheels, or
2. just sell these wheels and tires and buy a new set of wheels/tires.

Here is my question ...IF I buy another new set of 18 inch tires, is there a tire that will help to minimize "wandering" on the highway ?
Old 01-20-12, 06:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My favorite two tires in that size are the Bridgestone RE960A/S and the Turanza Serenity... The Serenity will last longer, smoother ride, etc, and give all season performance, whereas the RE960A/S, and its replacement, the RE970A/S will give all season performance with an edge towards performance over ride quality...

There are other good options, notably from Michelin, I like the HX MXM4, specifically, but the Pilot Sport A/S has had lots of similar issues to yours...

Did you ever check the ball joints the correct way?
Old 01-20-12, 07:24 AM
Stu
Racer

mitsuguy, I have not had the ball joints checked this way yet, but for sure the next time the car goes in.
( I suspect the tires are at fault - the ball joints are oprobably fine - the car has 65,000 miles )

I am enjoying driving the car on the winter wheels and tires so much - I may even remove the tires in the spring and mount new tires on these wheels !
Old 01-21-12, 06:29 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Stu
mitsuguy, I have not had the ball joints checked this way yet, but for sure the next time the car goes in.
( I suspect the tires are at fault - the ball joints are oprobably fine - the car has 65,000 miles )

I am enjoying driving the car on the winter wheels and tires so much - I may even remove the tires in the spring and mount new tires on these wheels !
Don't give up on the 18's! Just get rid of the Conti's...

I can't remember from the other thread - when was the last time the alignment was checked, and what were the specs? A not that great alignment can cause wandering as well, or even exacerbate it... Couple that with tires that have stiff sidewalls and track badly anyways, and you end up where you are...
Old 01-21-12, 07:00 AM
Stu
Racer

Three allignnments in the past year. Here is the latest one that was done - the tech said it was fine except the rear camber.

Old 01-21-12, 07:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

How's the tire wear? If it requires strength just to steer straight, then something is obvious wrong. Check tie rods, sway bar and steering rack.

Btw, road crown plays a role and make sure tire pressures are same.
Old 01-21-12, 07:53 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
How's the tire wear? If it requires strength just to steer straight, then something is obvious wrong. Check tie rods, sway bar and steering rack.

Btw, road crown plays a role and make sure tire pressures are same.
Tire wear look fine, only 5,000 miles on new tires.
It requires NO strength to steer straight, just a ton of little adjustments, constantly, to keep going straight. It can't be something obvious, I have has the car checked 3 times !

I know the road crown effect, and that is not what I am experiencing.
I check the tire presures frequently, with two guages, and run 32 - 35 psi, on all 4 corners.
Old 01-21-12, 11:01 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried rotating the tires to see if that helps it?
Old 01-22-12, 07:32 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by waijai
Have you tried rotating the tires to see if that helps it?
Yes, mamy times ..... and it made absolutely no difference.
Old 01-22-12, 04:39 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than ball joints and tie rod ends that mitsuguy mentioned, have you checked steering rack, steering pretensioner, or the bushings?
Old 01-22-12, 04:58 PM
Stu
Racer

yup, the steering rack was checked, not sure about the steering pretensioner, and I replaced the bushings ( even though they were not worn - when they were removed they looked new )
Old 01-23-12, 03:38 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Don't give up on the 18's! Just get rid of the Conti's...
mitsuguy, I just got offered firm offer of $ 800 for my 18's, ( and they dont want the tires, so I'll try to sell them separately )..... and I rememembered you saying not to give up on the wheels, and just sell the Continentals.

Firstly, I am thinking the $800 is a pretty fair price, .... but I'm wondering why you said don't give up on the 18's. I do like the OEM 18s, but I am thinking of taking the $ 800 and then selling the Contis and buying new 17's and some softer sidewalled 17" tires that will, I hope end the cars wandering - because the last thing I want to do is put another set ( it will be the third ! ) of new tires on these OEM wheels and still have the same wandering problem.

Can you help me - I dont want to screw this up - I just want to solve the wandering problem.

Thanks
Old 01-24-12, 06:59 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Stu
mitsuguy, I just got offered firm offer of $ 800 for my 18's, ( and they dont want the tires, so I'll try to sell them separately )..... and I rememembered you saying not to give up on the wheels, and just sell the Continentals.

Firstly, I am thinking the $800 is a pretty fair price, .... but I'm wondering why you said don't give up on the 18's. I do like the OEM 18s, but I am thinking of taking the $ 800 and then selling the Contis and buying new 17's and some softer sidewalled 17" tires that will, I hope end the cars wandering - because the last thing I want to do is put another set ( it will be the third ! ) of new tires on these OEM wheels and still have the same wandering problem.

Can you help me - I dont want to screw this up - I just want to solve the wandering problem.

Thanks
I just said don't give up on them, because they should be fine, just a matter of figuring out where the true problem lies... If you have someone willing to pay good money for the wheels, and can still sell the tires separately, might as well get a set of summer tires for the 17's... cheaper anyways!
Old 01-24-12, 07:12 AM
jcars1990
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

def stick with 18s, has to be related with steering system if the tires are in good shape
Old 01-24-12, 07:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by jcars1990
def stick with 18s, has to be related with steering system if the tires are in good shape
You should read the whole thread... his car drives fine with his winter tires and 17's...