Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

need opinions on Rims for my sc

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 06:32 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really

thanks for the warning

J

didn't want this to be a big argument thread. just wanted some feed back

i think im gonna either go with the second ones. or these (i can get a really good deal on them)

Old 10-22-02, 07:13 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
Neither Zenetti or ADR are good quality. They are, at best, mediocre...and both companies are primarily knock-off manufacturers...like I've said before, knock-off manufacturers (ones who's whole business model is based on knock-offs...not manufacturers that make knock-offs every now and then) don't base their business on quality. They base it on selling mass numbers and making as much money as they can. Quality doesn't fit into their equation...

You can buy some nice 1-piece JDM wheels (Work, Rays, Weds) for around $1500~$2000 depending on the importer...
ok first off, he is 18, and when i was 18 (last year) i wasnt made out of money, i am sure he isnt either, so dont expect him to go out and buy $4k worth in wheels

and second, dont be a **** about things, you have obviously been on here longer than me, but you should still be a bit nicer about things.........and for the record, i have the Axxis Xenex Muse in 19'' white, and there isnt a damn thing wrong with them

so as soon as i have a pay check like yours, i can go out and buy better/more expensive toys, and be a **** too......gee, cant wait
Old 10-22-02, 07:19 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 18 and in college and cant afford ***** so I can see where hes coming from too lol I'd like to buy a lot of nice things for my SC too but its kind of hard to since college isnt cheap and high paying jobs arent so easy to come by by a 18 year old. I understand taht you should only get the best for ur lex but at 18 with not a real high income you cant really afford top line stuff. I think for a temporary time cheaper rims would be fine. Oh and I like the bottom rims. Those are pretty nice. Good luck finding rims.
Old 10-22-02, 08:11 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bigger Picture... although good pts jimmit and LexusBoi

I am 28 with a some what lucrative job, and still feel that A) price doesn't always equate to quality, and B) I can afford the more expensive rims, which i have in the past,...and chose a wheel that wasn't contingent upon the status level approval of other drivers. Hell if that's the case,... you should be bashing people who want to put Lexus GS wheels on SC's, and IS wheels on SC's, and supra wheels on SC's, and so on, and so forth,...is the stock wheels any better than aftermarket... Lexus thinks so... look at the price of a replacement rim,...$600 a wheel,... so point is... not a good fact based statement,....more or less matter of opinion.

I owned a set of 18" MOMO ARROW's,... had them for a while,... started flaking bad on the inside of the wheel, and eventually made it to the spokes,....poor quality in my opinion,...and an expensive azz wheel,.... $525 a wheel,... not to mention one did develop a slow leak,... and it was the wheel because where the chrome flaked away left enough gap to not seal properly.

I owned at least 6 other set of aftermarket wheels that I can easily think of ranging from Panther, Prime, Niche, MHT, MOMO, Zenetti, and some discount tire promo *****, and they all with the exception of the MOMO's served their purpose.

1. Looked good
2. Fit my budget
3. Did not bend from pot holes except the Panther wheel, and that was in snow/ice conditions
4. Did not loose original finish except for the MOMO.

I am a mechanical engineer, and I pay attention to the design and mfg process used to cast or forge these wheels plus the plating process. I don't buy stuff I have to replace for poor design and workmanship.

I see high dollar rims in the used rimshops just like knock offs and just like anything else,... depreciated in value, a loss for the first buyer, and worth no more than what someoen is willing to pay for it.... and I'm still wondering....

what is a Zenetti Vega a knock off of??? Anybody know???

Last edited by NAZTY97; 10-22-02 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 08:48 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Bigger Picture... although good pts jimmit and LexusBoi

Originally posted by NAZTY97

... what is a Zenetti Vega a knock off of??? Anybody know???
They kinda look like the Bersaglio Spoke II rims. These are EXPENSIVE rims... if only I could afford them for mine hehe oh well, the Enkei's look fine on my car right now so I can't complain

Old 10-22-02, 08:58 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Well, all I can say is that Manaray guilded me in the correct direction when I posted some rims that I was GOING to buy when I was new here, but then backed out because I realized that I better just save my money, and then came along a nice pair of 19" Racing Hart M5's.

My advice, wait like I did, and if you can't buy new, buy a nice used pair with low miles on the wheels, and tires if it comes with them.

Listen to Manaray, he knows his stuff...
Old 10-22-02, 10:30 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boost’n – No, I have HRE’s.

Respectable brands: Weds, Work, Rays, HRE, Fikse, Kinesis, among others...

The Milles aren’t bad. They’re decent wheels. That design is quite popular and looks pretty good IMO.

Before I start....most of time, when I don’t recommend what someone else has already recommended or I disagree with them, some people take it personally. That’s their business. I don’t disagree with people just to disagree...that’s pointless. I disagree and recommend things based on my experience in this field...that’s all...

LexusBoi –First off, I too was 18 at one point. I didn’t have money either. I rode a motorcycle cuz that’s all I could afford. When it rained, guess what? I still had to ride a motorcycle. Yeah, it sucked...so before you talk crap, you should know crap. I know what it’s like not to have money...I have been poor for the majority of my life.

If you don’t have money, then you shouldn’t be trying to put rims on your car unless it doesn’t have wheels. If you don’t have money, you shouldn’t be buying a FRICKIN’ LUXURY CAR like a Lexus and then trying to fix it up. There is NO EXCUSE. Don’t be a wannabe big baller…you need to buy a car that you can afford to maintain and fix up (if you plan on fixing it up). At 18, do you HAVE to have a Lexus? You couldn’t do with a Civic? Not good enough for you? So who’s the spoiled one here?

If I’m being a **** because I’m trying to help him from making a mistake and buying the low quality wheels then I guess I’m a ****. If I’m a **** because I KNOW your Axis Muse are just Advan Model 5 wannabes, then I guess I’m a ****.

I love how people (regardless of age) try to justify buying crap. It has nothing to do with money, it has to do with integrity and KNOWLEDGE. There is NO REASON to buy “temporary” crap wheels either. Instead of blowing your money on that, just drive around on the stock wheels. It won’t kill you. Then once you have the money to buy something WORTH BUYING, then buy it. Don’t settle because you’re so desperate to say “I gotz rimz yo!”

AGAIN, I DON’T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS – IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRICE. I’M NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU NEED TO BUY $5K WHEELS!

What I’m suggesting is that you buy QUALITY and try to buy the ORIGINAL design rather than some cheap *** knock-off…I think too many people do “selective” reading…

As for high priced wheels selling for less use…Does your ’97 have the same value in 2002 as it did in 1997? Did you know that you can buy a used LS400 for nearly the same price as a used ES300? Does that make the ES better than the LS?

TurboSC - Thanks for the support....I'm glad I was able to help out!

Last edited by Manaray; 10-22-02 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 11:18 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I think there is an appropriate term for this.......Ballin' on a Budget.
Old 10-22-02, 11:29 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray and others, what do you guys think of these rims. P.S. they didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
Attached Thumbnails need opinions on Rims for my sc-a003.jpg  
Old 10-22-02, 11:32 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

they are 18 x 8 1/2 and 18 x 9 1/2 riding on 235 40 18's and 285 35 18's.
Old 10-23-02, 12:28 AM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

I really like the look of those wayne. Sylish yet in no way obnoxious. J_Rok, when I ordered from O.Z. I talked to Chris and he really hooked me up. I can give you details if youd like. Just drop me a pm. I got OZ Sinfonias from the factory and ordered a set of Sumitomo HTR+'s for under 2g's.
Shoulda cost 3.
-Buck
Old 10-23-02, 12:47 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! Looks like I'm late on this post, but here's my opinion anyway:

I personally think the spoke wheels should be for cars that have nicely upgraded brakes. So ... to answer your question, both rims look nice. However, I would go with the dish (first one) if I didn't upgrade my brakes, and with the spoke (second one) if I upgraded the brakes. But ... only if those two were the ONLY choices.

ADR Kasai's look nice also, but doesn't come in the 9" and 10" widths (if my memory serves me correctly).

I personally like the AutoCouture Interceptor wheels, but they're available in 19" or 20" only. I think that's the name.
Old 10-23-02, 12:51 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne,
Manaray is going to tell you they're s#!t, but I like 'em.

The decision is entirely subjective. Sure you can spend $5k on a set of HRE's as we all dream of on this board=== or you could buy reasonable wheels and do a slew of other upgrades for about the same money. IMO as long as it looks good to you and the build quality is such that the finish doesn't turn to crap in a few years, then go for it. A $1000 wheel accelerates, brakes, corners (performs) NO better than a $250 wheel, and chances are that $1000 wheel has no better build quality than one that may cost half as much.

Just my .03.
Old 10-23-02, 05:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wayne - Those are Mille Miglia Avia II's? Nice lip on them. I was looking to do a similar style wheel (both Work and Rays make some wheels similiar to that style that I would buy)...the only things I'd do different is that I would do 19" (245/275) and I'd lower it. But that's just me. Is that wheel a bolt-attached 2-piece or a welded two-piece (if you took the bolts out, will the wheel seperate into two pieces?)

Oh yeah, undefeatedsc3 reminded me of something...OZ does a lot of blow out sales...you can get some really good deals there...

http://www.ozwheels.com/get_WheelSpecials.asp

For example, the have the Opera III's (the 3-piece Dish wheel) in 20x8.5 for $449 each and 20x9.5 for $599 each. That's DAMN cheap for those wheels...

If you want 18", they have the Opera II's in 18x8.5 for $299. You could do 18x8.5 all around ($1200) plus a set of Kumho's for about $550 for so...so $1750, you have a set wheels with some decent tires.

If you REALLY want go the cheap route, you can get the F1 Cup Corsa in 18x8 for $159 each...you could still run the 245's and for $1186 total, you can have a set of high quality 18" wheels with some decent tires.

SC300T - You bring up a good point about how $1000 wheels won't necessarily make your acceleration, braking or cornering better, but if that's what you're looking for, buying $200/wheel knock offs won't help either. If THAT is what you're going, then you're still going to spend good money on some LIGHTWEIGHT race wheels.

However, some manufactures (like HRE, Fikse, Kinesis, Advan) do the engineering to make lightweight, high strength wheels. NO knock-off manufactures gives a damn about those kind of things. All they care about is selling units to anyone and everyone.

And if you're spending upwards of a $1000, then you look for a quality wheel that IS built better. HRE, Fiske, Kinesis, Advan, some Works, some Rays...you can't honestly say that a cheap knock-off is as well made as one of those wheels. No way. No how.

But some "expensive" wheels like Giovannas are made no better than those cheap knock offs....oh wait, they make G-Racing wheels...a pure knock-off company...well, there ya go...

Last edited by Manaray; 10-23-02 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-23-02, 06:29 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Bling bling y'all! I bought the OEM Lexus L-Tuned OZ Salina 18"s for the GS and put them on my car because they're strong, wide, and inexpensive. 2300 dollars with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, and being OEM sure they're heavy but they don't bend. I had *terrible* traction problems and that's all over now. Momos were my previous rims and they bent like an aluminum can. So, buy those, quit spending money on your 30 layer "steal me" chrome rims and put some stuff in there to make your car FAST!

Remember, "all show, no go" is STILL considered an insult (by real car nuts anyway )

I also suggest these wheels because they're readily ordered from any Lexus parts department, and your car's handling will shock you.

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 10-23-02 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: need opinions on Rims for my sc