Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

need opinions on Rims for my sc

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 10:43 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default AMEN!!

I'm glad someone has had the same experience with a hi quality well known wheel, who is respected:

Momos were my previous rims and they bent like an aluminum can.
-MadMax .... (iMO... MOMO's ain't ***** )

I can't agree with factory wheels, cuz a jacker will steal them too, and the car if he's tired of walkin'....

SC300T - You bring up a good point about how $1000 wheels won't necessarily make your acceleration, braking or cornering better, but if that's what you're looking for, buying $200/wheel knock offs won't help either. If THAT is what you're going, then you're still going to spend good money on some LIGHTWEIGHT race wheels.
Manaray,... this is not a personal vendetta, or anything,... but important factor that I don't think any one truly listened too, was the purpose of his/my/your rim selection. If it was primarily racing,.. then yeah,.. your statement about buying a lightweight rim is valid,...if it was for creating a glossy flossy balla image,...weight doesn't matter, size does,.. and I can say at least in Houston,.. non racers don't give a d@mn about weight,... it aint' 20's or bigger,.. they don't want it,... if it's to just attain a bigger than stock, lighter or similar weight than stock vs size increase, and to look better,... well most anything you wanna pay for will work... and the difference between $1000 a wheel and $350 a wheel is $4000 and $1400, to which the delta of $2600 could go to mods, the bank, or sound system,... the strip club,... point is,... still got wheels,... decent ones,.. not American Eagles, and got more money than in scenario one. My homeboy has a set of BLITZ rims, and they curbrash just like a lesser dollar wheel,... 2 are scraped up real good,... the quality wasn't curbproof,... so he's lookin' at,... "damn,.. do I spend another $2000 to replace them two wheel,.. naw,..I'll just ride around with the scuffed damaged wheels...". Now how tha hell does that look?? BUSTED!

So, again,... I think,... different applications require different solutions as a budget will allow. If he had some ghettofabulous 20's that were almost solid metal, and was out at the track,... maybe I'd think he was smoking something,... but because he choses to buy what he can afford, and chose a non upper echelon wheel is no need to sound elitist,.... because just as you said his, my, and a couple of others stuff is at best mediocre, or junk... there is a ferrari driver, bentley driver, rolls driver, mercedes driver that would say the same about what we take so much pride in,... our Lexus's. It's relative,... think about it.

Soarer_25GTT: Thanks for the pic'... that's the first time I've seen that wheel or heard of that company,... so maybe if I had a known about it,...I would'a considered them,....I bought on what was presented to me,... a 1000 catalogs,... and only one mfg that had that design....I don't think that's being cheap if you didn't know you had another choice...
Old 10-23-02, 01:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manny, i'm with Scott on this one. You're always bustin' on guys for buying rims that don't fit within your concept of quality. Assuming we're not taking issue with weight and discussing ultra-lightweight forged models, all that matters is that the finish lasts, the wheel is true, and that it doesn't bend. There's alot of kids on here manny, and while I also recommend waiting and saving, some of these guys would rather buy something decent now, rather than wait possibly a year or two before they can save up enough, you can always upgrade later, right?? No one has brought up a VERY important point to you manny. There's a learning curve. When you land your first job out of school and you're making 35k a year, you may think you're making big money, but a few years later when you're making double that, you realize how far you had to go back then. Now follow me here, if these kids start out with a set of HRE or Fiske or Kinesis or whatever, where can they upgrade from there? It's okay to start with a set of Konigs, long as you realize there's better stuff out there to upgrade to when the time comes. You may have a set of $5,000 wheels manny, but it's still a 15sec SC4, isn't it? On the street, if Scott is ahead of you by 10 cars by the time he's into 2nd, do you think everyone will sweat who spent a month's income on rims? I've owned plenty of wheels, some very high quality, some not, they all held a tyre just as well as the next one. Stop being so hard on these guys, you have a very elitist attitude, provide your opinion and let them decide on their own, but don't make them feel like crap for buying certain wheels. Funny how you're okay with using Kumho tyres though, why don't they have to use 'quality' Pilot Sports?
- Jon
Old 10-23-02, 02:59 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default LEXLUTHOR: VERY WELL PUT

I didn't think about the learning curve, and hell, just goes to show,... I thought I got a decent wheel after inspecting it,... to be told it's a replica,... but then the decision was based on what resources I had available to me. Stuff I used to own,... some of it, I wouldn't touch now,... but wouldn't appreciate what I now have, if I never had lesser in the first place.

Personally,... most of those super high dollar rims,... i haven't seen very many that I actually truly like,... AND I'LL BE D@MNED IF I BUY SOMETHING THAT COST A LOT OF MONEY THAT I AIN'T THINKIN' "HELLL YEAH" about!

When the valet man drives my lex around I see my rims shining,.. every single freakin' time it's like I never seen 'em before,...and I say "HELLLL YEAH,..that ***** is tight!". I don't think any Fiske wheel or Brabus or Antera (except for the Type 123 3 bar when it was new) ever made me feel that way,.. and that's only an opinion. (and that's not sayin' none look good,..just I ain't get chills when I saw 'em)
Old 10-23-02, 06:22 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne - Those are Mille Miglia Avia II's? Nice lip on them. I was looking to do a similar style wheel (both Work and Rays make some wheels similiar to that style that I would buy)...the only things I'd do different is that I would do 19" (245/275) and I'd lower it. But that's just me. Is that wheel a bolt-attached 2-piece or a welded two-piece (if you took the bolts out, will the wheel seperate into two pieces?)

Those are Paradyne Rims. Not very expensive but it is what i liked when i saw it. And the car is lowered. It's a one peice rim.
Old 10-23-02, 07:48 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes cheaper is better... Sumitomo HTRZ-II tires are my favorite.. 170 apiece for 265's and 150 for 235's, they're 100 dollars less than michelin, last longer and grip better, and they have better ride and wet performance.
Old 10-23-02, 08:38 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

well, i am glad to see that some people understand that more doesnt mean better.....

if you can find a set of 19's and put tires on them for a good price, i say do it......if they look good, brand doesnt matter (unless its Focal, they arent built well at all)

all my opinion
Old 10-23-02, 10:16 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

pay what you want to pay for

I bought Blitz rims first... but rolling on 4 grand worth of rims kinda got me a little bit nervous, I bought Momos and was happy rolling on them knowing that I had blitz's at home

then I bought Carlssons hehe ya know for the everyday bling

I would buy whatver rims fit your budget, and when you ave more money get a real set of rims, after awhile Tantrums, Katanas and all that crap just wont do it for ya
Old 10-23-02, 10:21 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'll probably upgrade to the larger 18x10 inch Super Leggera IIIs when I want to put in Supra calipers.
Old 10-24-02, 02:41 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Good pts made about wheels here. I'm looking to upgrade in the spring and there's definitely a learning curve for me about what rims to get, tires, specs...

I'm alike Manaray in that I believe if you gonna do something, might as well do it right. I also think that if you really can't afford something, you shouldn't buy it in the first place.

However, I also realize that not everyone's the same and I can understand where others are coming from. If your dream was to own a Lexus Coupe, and you worked hard for it, then so be it. You went after your dream and that's great (even though you may have really stretched it finacially). It's not something I'd do but hey, different stroke for different folks.

Now, back to topic, I don't personally like either of the rims shown. Style is VERY subjective - buy what YOU like and satisified YOU. There will always be someone who doesn't like your 'style' of rims but it doesn't mean you should take it personally. There will always be naysayers and you can never satisify everyone. If you are happy with yourself and decision, that's really all that it really matters.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 10-24-02 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-24-02, 03:23 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray, it's useless... they will do what they will do no matter how hard you try to drill it into their heads. For those of you that disagree with Manaray, just know that he's been INVOLVED in the aftermarket industry for longer than 90% of us in this forum have been driving. What he speaks from is years and years of insider knowledge and in-depth experience. It's like getting your economics term paper proof-read by Alan Greenspan.

Learning curve? Maybe. But if you're still in the Konig stage of the curve, you should be in the Honda Civic stage also. Lexus!, people, Lexus! We all know what the Integra did to Acura's luxury and prestige. There are so many ricers driving around in cheap-*** shoddy Integras riding on the world's shttiest wheels and YES!, it does effect the views of six-figure business exec who is in the market for buying a new Japanese luxury sedan. Maybe you don't care about all that, but if we simply sit back and allow all these cheesy knock-off wheels and parts to become synonymous with the Lexus brand, we will steadily drive our own cars' prestige into the dirt.

I keep seeing this "$5000" figure, and I'm beginning to agree with Manaray on the selective reading part. No one is asking you to spend five large on a set of wheels, but if you only have $1500, don't shoot for chrome 20"s. Buy some nice polished 18"s and feel good about yourself. When you have another $1500, sell your 18s and buy your 20"s. When you save another $1500, sell those 20"s and go all out with some upper-echelon 20"s. That is how the learning curve should go at this point, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I was once one of those guys considering Zenettis. My buddy had a set of four-month-old chrome Zenetti Mystiks in 19x8.5 wrapped with Nitto Extreme ZRs with 80% tread left that he'd sell to me for $1800 all said and done. I was about to jump on the deal until I found out that Zenetti was a knock-off company that ripped that design off WEDs, and that they were fake multi-piece. So I happily passed on them. I could have EASILY bought those wheels (I had the money at the time), slapped them on my ride, and been the biggest baller at my school. No one here knows sh^t about quality wheels and these shiny new chrome wheels with an Italian name to it could pass for $4000 wheels if I wanted them too. And don't get me wrong, they'd probably look good on my car from a distance! But how would I feel inside knowing I have some cheesy second-class wheels on my car?

Anyone that knows my take on wheels for the SC, knows that I think only 19"s or 20"s look right on it, and that I hate my stock wheels more than anything. Well I can't afford quality 19"s so I waited and waited and a deal came around for some decent five-spoke Supra wheels (17"s). A slight improvement over stock (learning curve), but not something I ultimately want to keep on my car. I WILL get 19"s or 20"s, and they WILL be top-notch quality. It's just a matter of patience and hard work.
Old 10-24-02, 03:28 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, these are the exact wheels I passed up. Note the improved appearance over my stock 16"s. I could be wearing these wheels right now, in fact I STILL have the opportunity to buy, but I am waiting for the real deal. I have more respect for my car than that ....
Attached Thumbnails need opinions on Rims for my sc-1.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 03:33 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

Here is just my opinion......

I believe in doing things right the first time. It usually always works out in the long run. However, spending 4-5k on a set of wheels and tires on a car that can be had for as littles a 7 or 8k does not make any sense. I understand that the SC, AT ONE TIME, cost 40-50k but not anymore. Heck, you can find 2000's for 20k or so.

A good set of wheels and tires, a good quality bodykit and a nice exhaust will run you close to $10,000. All put on a $10,000 SC??? It doesnt make any sense to me. Just sell the SC, and put the 10k into something newer and nicer.

On the other hand, some "knock-off" wheels, body kit and exhaust can be had for around $4000 or so. That makes alot more sense putting that into a $10000 car. Plus you still have the same benifit of having a good looking car(provided you do your mods "right".

The majority of people on the street dont know the difference between a good quality wheel or a knock-off anyways. I still wouldnt buy a knockoff, but I understand why some would.

"There's nothing wrong with a stock car"
Old 10-24-02, 03:40 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

I have more respect for my car than that

They do look good from a distance though!!

Did your friend realize what he had done and want to correct his mistake by selling off the Zenetti's??

Wise decision LEX..
Old 10-24-02, 03:55 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Concerning the $8000 car, $4000 mods arguement... Yeah some can be found for as low as $8000, but that doesn't make it an $8000 car. It's still a Lexus, and that means it's name carries weight and respect a high quality piece of machinery. People don't look at a '92 SC300 in the same light as a '02 Geo Metro just because they are equals according to Kelley Blue Book. If I had $40,000 expendible, I'd happily dump it into my $20,000 car. Ask Clint and Ethan about that one... It's not about practicality or economics either. Honestly, I don't think anything about automotive aftermarket is economically sound. It's about style and tact, and joy and passion for the car you drive. In either event, I think half-assing a Lexus is morally wrong...

Originally posted by 4HUN

They do look good from a distance though!!

Did your friend realize what he had done and want to correct his mistake by selling off the Zenetti's??

Wise decision LEX..
No he didn't learn his leasson. He actually has a dealer account with Zenetti and gets his knock-offs for wholesale. His plan was to switch to 20"s, exact same wheel...
Attached Thumbnails need opinions on Rims for my sc-3.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 04:15 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

It's still a Lexus, and that means it's name carries weight and respect a high quality piece of machinery. People don't look at a '92 SC300 in the same light as a '02 Geo Metro just because they are equals according to Kelley Blue Book
Definetly true. I can roll up to pretty much anything and not have any bit of shame. Give me a fully loaded 2003 Cavelier and I would feel truely ashamed.

My SC is acuually a step down from previous cars but honestly it is the best car I've had yet. I will probaly stay Lexus (Toyota) for quite some time.

I think half-assing a Lexus is morally wrong...
Trust me, I feel the same!

Quick Reply: need opinions on Rims for my sc