Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

need opinions on Rims for my sc

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 08:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Natzy - I agree that if you're just trying to buy some "pimp" wheels, then weight doesn't matter...I was just answering SC300T's point about how a $1000/wheel setup isn't going to help the things HE was concerned about (performance)...and the point he made, I agree with.

And using your own argument, you could have just bought a Honda Civic and pocked a lot more money...it's still a car....it's a decent one.

As for your friend with the Blitz wheels...personally, I'd take a scuffed Blitz wheel over some Zenetti's any day of the week. If you're more concerned with just "looks", then read below...

In general - As far as impressing the "average joe" with any-brand chrome 20's, well if that is your main concern, then you're right. You can buy some cheap *** wheels (even American Racing) so long as they're 20" or larger and chrome. That will impress a particular crowd. But if that all you're interested in? Just impressing "anyone"? For me, I could give a crap about impressing the average joe or anyone for that matter. I don't fix up my car to impress others. I fix it up because I like to do it as a HOBBY. And who, in any hobby, doesn't want the best or the best price/value/quality item?

If just impressing the crowd standing in front of a club is your main concern (or whoever else's concern), then you can buy a salvage titled S320 and put on a S600 badge along with some 20" Chrome Brabus knock-offs with a Brabus knock-off kit with a Brabus license plate (knock that off too) with some chrome tips welded onto the stock exhaust and lower it by cutting the springs and call it a day. If that makes you happy, then so be it. In my book, the person that does this it the ULTIMATE cheeseball.

So what's the difference between someone doing that and someone buying a '92 SC with 157K miles that's been involved in 10 accidents (but wasn't reported so it's not a salvage titled car) and putting on some cheap *** wheels to "impress" the crowds? There is no difference to me.

AGAIN, I'M NOT SAYING YOU NEED TO BUY $4000-$5000 WHEELS. JESUS CHRIST! CAN YOU PEOPLE READ THAT PART AT LEAST?!

What I'm suggesting is that you DO buy wheels that are in your price range but don't buy a wanna-be knock-off of high end wheel. That's just as cheezy as buying a broken S320 and putting S600 badges on it or buying a GS300 and putting a GS430 emblem on it. Actually, it's more like buying a Volkwagen and putting Mercedes S600 logos on it or buying a Daewoo and then putting Lexus GS430 emblems on it.

Also, NOT knowing that a wheel is a knock-off is just a part of learning. I never bash on people who have done that. Hey, you didn't know....what can you do? But people who KNOWINGLY buy fakes...now that's another story...

Jon - See, you have it all wrong. This is what I mean by SELECTIVE reading. You're right, I do recommend Kumho's because regardless of price, they are a decent tire. And again, if I use your own arguement, I've owned Hondas. They're very capable cars...they commute just as well as the next one.

And you're right, there are a lot of kids on here. Kids with LEXUS cars. Kids that bit off more than they can chew. Instead of just getting a car they could TRULY afford, they had to be "big pimpin'" and get a car they can't really afford. I have NO sympathy for spoiled brats or for people who live beyond their means. Why should I? I come from an extremely poor background and I had to work to get everything I own. When I couldn't afford something, I didn't buy it. I didn't buy a fake Rolex. I just bought a casio and not one that looks like a Rolex. I didn't buy fake Nikes, I just bought whatever shoe I could afford. Now this doesn't mean I hate kids that got these cars as hand-me-downers from their parents...hey, lucky them...but if they're parents can afford to hand them down a SC, then they can help you buy some decent wheels. If you need to do it on your own, then save your allowance or get a job or both!

Too many of these kids are wanna-be pimps. They didn't buy a SC because they thought it was a reliable car for many years to come. Hell, they could have bought a Civic and it's nearly as good. They bought a Lexus because they want to pimp. They want to be able to go out and show up their peers and say "yeah, I drive a Lexo"...now of course, this not true of every kid that has a Lexus...but do you honestly think I'm really off here?

As for upgrading, yeah, you can always upgrade later...no one needed to bring that up with me because it's a given...but when you do that, you end up taking the loss on the first item you bought. There is nothing wrong with waiting. What I'm saying is that instant gratification isn't all that great sometimes. You can buy a cheap a wheel and think "yeah, I gotz some bling-bling dubz" but then know deep inside that they're POS knock-offs. If people are OK with that, then they might as well buy fake Rolexes, fake Levis, fake everything. All they're concerned with is have the FAKE LABEL and not the actual product. Now upgrading to something later that wasn't available before is obviously COMPLETELY different.

And again, I'm not saying everyone needs to buy HRE's or Fikse's or Kinesis. And if they do, who says you ever need to upgrade? I can happily buy another set of HRE's and be fine. I don't need to look for something "better". If I want something different, I can get something different. HRE makes many wheels and there are other high quality forged wheels out there. I'm also OK with buying a non-forged wheel. I would consider doing a set of 20" Weds ERM's...not forged, not the newest design, but one I like and one from a company that I trust. Not the best, but worth the money IMO.

Also, my SC has my stock GS wheels on there. I don't have wheel on it yet. And even with HRE's, it still would be a 15 second SC...but I'm not trying to make my SC into a drag racer either. Scott would smoke me in a race, no doubt, but with his turbo and what not, will he smoke me on a race track? There, all the mods he's done to make his car faster may not prove to be as useful as something as simple as a better compound tire. Ask the guys that race at the Porsche events...the turbo guys, the guys with GT2 and the guys with built up cars...the same guys turning in slower times that my buddy in his bone stock 996 Carrera with only Yokohama AVS sports on it....then ask the guys with Porsches and other high performance cars that are turning in slower time than me...

...Another thing is that if Scott is beating me by 10 cars and a semi pulls out in front of him and his car hits it and blows up, you think everyone will sweat the fact that his car was head of me by 10 cars by 2nd gear or that he had a T88 turbo (I don't know what turbo he has, just an example)? Just like this example, you are comparing the wrong things.

As far as learning curves, Joh, you're absolutely right! There is a learning curve. I've gone through it MANY years ago and I've seen many other people go through the same thing. What I'm trying to do is help SAVE people from this learning curve. Wouldn't you rather read about making a mistake then making it? I know I would.

Lexusboi - Why don't you recommend Focal? EXACTLY. That's why I don't recommend a LOT of brands. Like Lex400SC said, I've been in this biz longer than the majority of the people here. What you've learned about Focal, I've learned about many other brands. That's why I recommend the parts that I do. And again, SELECTIVE READING. I don't think anyone ever said more means better.

Carnal - You're right, after you own some quality wheels, the crap just doesn't cut it. Also, you can insure you wheels seperately. It doesn't cost that much more.

Lex400SC - Hehehehe...yeah, sometimes it does feel useless....but I have received many PM's and emails thanking me for saving them or asking me for advice after they went against my advice and found out the hard way. These type of emails and PM's make it worth getting the word out. Educating people. I suppose I could just let it go and let the cheap *** ricers low ballers take over....

And you definitely bring up some valid points about Acura vs. Lexus...not too many people think of Acura's very highly and a large part of this has to do with the Integra and all the ricers with Integras...Honda should have put the Integra under the Honda badge since day one!

4HUN - I think Lex400SC said pretty much what I would have said. And AGAIN, no one is suggesting that you HAVE to spend $4~$5K on wheels for a $7K~$8K car.

Also, what I'm doing with my SC will actually blow some people's concept of me out of the water....and If all I was concerned about was high dollar items, why I am bringing to market a high quality 6-piston brake system for under $2000 when the next closest competitor is a $3200 system?

Not only that, VERY few people on ClubLexus actually KNOW me. I have met only a handful of people...and of those people, only a few know me outside of ClubLexus events...

The opinions you guys form of me from reading my posts are from YOUR PERCEPTIONS. Like someone once said, on forums like this, it's hard to read other people because you don't have any sort of body language, facial expressions, or inflections to help you determine what they're really trying to say. So bear that in mind.

I have friends who are multiple felons. I have friends who are lawyers and cops. I have friends who are twice my age, I have friends who are 10+ years younger than me. I have friends of all religions and ethnic diversities....now if I was such an elitist bastard as so many of you think, don't you think I'd be only hanging out with White Country Club type people and only talking to folks with "high end" cars or "high end" watches or "high end" girlfriends??

Last edited by Manaray; 10-24-02 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-24-02, 10:55 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The longest callout ever! GOOD SHOW!! BRAVO!!!

Now that's a long azzzz post,....for the record,.. I will say, I never disagreed with your judgement of good quality wheels,... all I merely was trying to convey is:

1) there are degrees of quality like analog (suck, ok, alright, mediocre, fair, good, great, excellent, off tha chain, the bomb, tha shiznit, the best ), not excellent/garbage as in digital (on/off). I think most everyone perceived the thread as if it ain't these, it ain't *****.

2)all wheels, regardless race,color, or creed (name, size, or finish) are fallable, thus my damn MOMO's

3)different tastes, experience, and knowledge dictate different solutions,... if a person has only tasted salt,... he'll love nutrasweet, and won't care if sugar is the real thing. (that's deep)

4)Just because one buys a Lexus doesn't mean their spending habits lap over into other areas. For example,... I believe in good car audio,.. so I spent a good $3-4K on one (over time),.... you got some on the board that ain't gonna spend "all that" money on a sound system,... leave some of it stock....add an amp, or maybe just change the speaker,... or whatever,... I think some people have the same view on wheels,.... I promise,... the next time I swap rims,...I'ma consult the knock off busters! so I can be sure I'm not gettin' some faux chrome wheels,...

I think that'll do it.... and also, for the record,.. I took no personal offense,.... ( CUZ I KNOW MY ***** LOOKS TIGHT AND THA LADIES LOVE IT!!! AND I STILL BEAT I30's, and BMW's)
Attached Thumbnails need opinions on Rims for my sc-suprattbrake.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 01:59 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said Manaray, crude and harsh at times, but well said.

I just want to give one example of my encountering on this forum. I was all set to buy a $300 HID system that my friend was going to 'hook' me up with. Being low on the learning curve, I was all about to get it. Then I looked on here and see Manaray chew ppl out about low quality HID's that just isn't the real thing. Especially the one I was gonna get were korean made that he warned about.
I figured, hey, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to get it right the first time, I went out and got the high quality AutoLamps 6000k kit made by Philips for $600 instead of the $300 korean ones. I can tell you that I don't regret this decision one bit and is extremely happy I didn't go for the cheap stuff.
I'm glad now Manaray was harsh and crude when he warned ppl about cheap HID systems - it sure got my attention! And did I mention he provided step by step idiot proof instructions on how to install the HID that even I can do (and believe me, I'm an idiot when it comes to DIY jobs).

As for the car, the SC may not be $50k anymore. But the depreciation of the car prices/value does not mean the car's reliability, quality, prestige, and style has also depreciated. It's still a top of the line car in all those categories. Heck, a top of the line computer you just paid $2g for a year ago may only be worth a couple hundred today. It doesn't mean you don't take care of it, upgrade it with latest software, hardware and tools.
If you married say J.Lo, would you not still treat her just as well when she's 45 and no longer one of the top stars by then?

Last edited by Legends6spd; 10-24-02 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 03:06 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Manaray....
I have learned a few things from you too....I didn't realize that Axis were knock-offs too. On my Acura I had the high dollar 18" wheels.

Now, on the Lex, I want some good quality stuff. Are those Mille Miglia's good quality? I have already priced a set of staggered 19's with tires, and no, they are not cheap. Do we get a break from our sponsors on these?
Old 10-24-02, 03:58 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Alll right,....TIME OUT!!

How about in addition to a FAQ,... let's have..... (chimes and bells)

A KNOCK OFF IMPOSTER FRONTIN' AND STUNTIN' LIST!!

and it can have categories of mods,.. like fake lights, fake rims, fake spoilers, fake brake pads, fake everything,...that way,.... like the better business bureau,... we check out who's who and what's what?? How'z that for crowd participation!

Companies beware,...do not end up on CL's list of bootleg *****!!!
Old 10-24-02, 04:30 PM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: Alll right,....TIME OUT!!

Originally posted by NAZTY97
How about in addition to a FAQ,... let's have..... (chimes and bells)

A KNOCK OFF IMPOSTER FRONTIN' AND STUNTIN' LIST!!

and it can have categories of mods,.. like fake lights, fake rims, fake spoilers, fake brake pads, fake everything,...that way,.... like the better business bureau,... we check out who's who and

That would be better.
Old 10-24-02, 04:38 PM
4HUN
Pole Position

Like someone once said, on forums like this, it's hard to read other people because you don't have any sort of body language, facial expressions, or inflections to help you determine what they're really trying to say. So bear that in mind.

That is all too true.....
Old 10-25-02, 07:54 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Natzy - Hehehe...after I posted that, I was thinking about splitting it up into a couple of post (maybe even three)...damn that was long!

I love your analogy with the salt/nutrasweet/sugar thing...what I'm trying to do is to tell these salt eaters that there is something called sugar and it is better than Nutrasweet!

And you're absolutely right about the interested of the upgrade depends on the person. I want to upgrade my stereo in my SC but I don't want to go all out SPL competition style...however, I'm not going to put in Jensen speakers...well those crappy knock-off brands are like putting Jensen speakers in your car. Wouldn't you tell someone to just leave it stock rather than put in those Jensens? Or tell them to just go find some nice Polks or Boston Acoustics on sale somewhere instead?

That's why I'm trying to do but people are on this trip like I'm always trying to say buy Dynaudio and Velodyne and that's it and if you don't spend $5K on a McIntosh amp then they're stupid. As you guys know know (or have known), that's not what I'm about!

Legends6spd - I'm glad I was able to help you out to...you're right, at times I'm crude and harsh but that's because I'm a no BS kinda guy. I'm not going to candy coat something. I'm just going to be straight foward with ya.

Sometimes people say "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"...yeah, silence...that's really helping others out...honestly, if any of you guys were making a mistake in a purchase, wouldn't you want someone to tell you. YES OR NO. None of this "but you could be nicer..." type BS...would you want to know or not?

Legendary - Again, I'm glad I could help. Now not all of Axis's wheels are knock-offs...but many of them are. And they also make other sub-brands that are pure knock-offs. Whenever you see an inexpensive wheel that's really good looking, in MOST cases, it will be a knock-off of a higher end wheel. That's just how it is...the knock-off companies knock-off the best looking designs because they're concerned with selling as many units as possible.

It's REALLY sad when people see the real thing and think it's a knock-off of the knock-off! heheheheh...this has to do with a lack of education...but it's still funny.

Natzy (again) - We are working on FAQ but we have so many projects going on at ClubLexus that you guys don't see that it's hard to get everything out at once. Ultimately, we would love to have a FAQ of every type of product for every Lexus car. But as you can imagine, that's a HUGE undertaking...

FWIW - I don't hate people who do stupid crap to their car. Hey, it's their car and if they want to be laughed at, that's their business...I just think that since we all drive Lexus cars here (well most of use), we should try to do the "right" mods. There isn't any ONE SINGLE right mod to do within any category, but I think anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence knows what's good and bad....

The way that *I* feel it should be done is this...DISREGARD the price. Look at what's out there and see which one you would want REGARDLESS of price. Narrow it down to a handful of choices...THEN apply the financial part of the equation. If you finances fall short for all your choice, then consider whether or not you really need that part. If you don't, skip it. If you do, then save up and get the one you really want. Don't be desperate and get some cheap crap that you rationalize as being "just as good" when deep down inside, you know it's crap. You'll only regret it.

You guys remember how I was talking about cheezeballs...when I see cheezeballs, this is the kinda people I'm thinkin about...just look at how lame these jackasses are...sure they get attention an all, but is this the kind of attention you want? When people do knock-offs and ricer upgrades, this is how they look...

http://www.compearth.com/stuntaz/

Oh, and you can't forget about this one...

http://www.beaterz.com

Last edited by Manaray; 10-25-02 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-25-02, 03:50 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

that stunaz thing.. has to be one of the most hiarious things i have ever seen

DAMN YOU EMINEM... DAMN YOU TOO HELL
Look what you have done to us white boys

lol

THose kids should have been executed when they were born

J
Old 10-25-02, 04:23 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Thumbs down Ice Hot Stuntaz....or was that.... Insane Clown Posse RatPack

I like their rides,... they make me wanna trade my Lexus piece of junk in for one of those Fast and Furious,.. did I mention, Luxurious Ford Rangers with a 15 inch house speaker in the bed.

The Lords of Bling???? How much Bling can a High School country boy afford,.... 1/100th of carat?? too small to be seen with the naked eye.. and if they were balla's as they said,... their yamps ( that's young azz tramps ) would'a got Icy Hot tattooed to something,.... not written with permanent marker, or cut'n'pasted on the net,....

I think we should ask them if they would sanction and sponsor in their affluence.... a Lord of the Bling Lexus meet,... and the winner of most soulful bling gets one of their hot rides for a first place prize, and second place gets to hang out with them at the local square dance.

I don't think Eminem is to blame,... I'd say it was Vanilla Ice's fault. .... Ice Ice Baby....... too cold too cold....
Attached Images  

Last edited by NAZTY97; 10-25-02 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 05:18 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Lords of Bling....hehehe...these guys are under discussion in the in the Lobby thread...

If these guys are serious there is no one to blame but their parents!...and Rap Music!
Old 11-25-03, 06:02 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

hey manaray... i love the look of that 20" rim you've got right here: i would love a rim like that but, these damned streets out here... i feel like saying f ' it and just get them with my drop and be happy....temporarily(until i have to replace them due to damage). anyway, how do they feel with that size of a rim? with the staggered setup as apposed to same size all the way around?
that look you have there is the look i've been looking to achieve... high quality rims w/ a lovely dish(perfect for this car) i just had daizen bushings installed to prep for other suspension mods and then carefully selected rims to finish this project... that iforged flex rim you've got is an excellent choice! you've got great taste in wheels bro.

this is also another rim i am seriously considering
what other rim has this look -w/ equal fit/ finish quality?

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 11-25-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-25-03, 06:36 PM
hamid
Pole Position

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
hey manaray... i love the look of that 20" rim you've got right here: i would love a rim like that but, these damned streets out here... i feel like saying f ' it and just get them with my drop and be happy....temporarily(until i have to replace them due to damage). anyway, how do they feel with that size of a rim? with the staggered setup as apposed to same size all the way around?
that look you have there is the look i've been looking to achieve... high quality rims w/ a lovely dish(perfect for this car) i just had daizen bushings installed to prep for other suspension mods and then carefully selected rims to finish this project... that iforged flex rim you've got is an excellent choice! you've got great taste in wheels bro.

this is also another rim i am seriously considering
what other rim has this look -w/ equal fit/ finish quality?
oh man, i love those second wheels on the green lex, i believe they are zauber gettins, which are damn expensive, but just incredibly beautiful!

Hamid
Old 11-25-03, 09:36 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

other than Weds, Work, Rays, HRE, Fikse, Kinesis, what are good brand rims? since i know NOTHING, other than Rays Volk rims are light as hell and good for racing, i just want to know good brands, paticularly non racing rims
Old 11-26-03, 12:54 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by hamid
oh man, i love those second wheels on the green lex, i believe they are zauber gettins, which are damn expensive, but just incredibly beautiful!

Hamid
what is the difference between these rimz in price???- and how do i go about getting them?...
manaray has me thinking twice about chrome,but i have a black car and nothing compliments a black car more than a set of nice chrome wheels such as those zaubers. do those iforged rimz come chrome?(although i doubt i would want them chrome.,due to the design of the rim- just simply a beautiful rim!)

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 11-26-03 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: need opinions on Rims for my sc