Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rims on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 02:34 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah you better BTFU. Lol
Old 03-19-12, 06:59 AM
leonsup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get staggered 18" ASA's @ Tirerack
Old 03-19-12, 07:18 AM
chargerfan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^ lol that pic cracked me up

rims on a budget .... discounttires is having a sale right now, i found it on slickdeals ... buy any 4 "rims" and get $100 rebate!
Old 03-19-12, 03:12 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzNoshizz
Looking to find some simi deep dish rims for around 650$ NEW any suggestions.. post a URL please
Nope. Ain't gonna get "stanced" on $650.

Originally Posted by DuWerke
There's a right and a wrong way to 'Ball on a Budget'.
True. And $650 XXR or Varsstoen's is the WRONG way.

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
The 2 piece/3 piece wheels people buy are mostly designed for racing or show... Besides, if you bend it, for that price it wouldn't hurt as much as bending a 3 piece Work wheel etc..
All wheels will get screwed by potholes - but OEM isn't always better. When it comes to wheels you can't reference OEM vs. Aftermarket durability because everyone on stock SC wheels are running high-profile, nice and cushy OEM all-season tires, while everyone with aftermarket wheels are running +1/+2/+3 fitments with thin-sidewall, low profile tires.

Also - good wheels bend on impact; crappy wheels crack and/or shatter. Ever seen what happens to a car when a wheel shatters at speed? It's almost guaranteed that the shattered wheel is the least of the problem, since the car usually ends up worse.
Old 03-19-12, 04:22 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raine
All wheels will get screwed by potholes - but OEM isn't always better. When it comes to wheels you can't reference OEM vs. Aftermarket durability because everyone on stock SC wheels are running high-profile, nice and cushy OEM all-season tires, while everyone with aftermarket wheels are running +1/+2/+3 fitments with thin-sidewall, low profile tires.

Also - good wheels bend on impact; crappy wheels crack and/or shatter. Ever seen what happens to a car when a wheel shatters at speed? It's almost guaranteed that the shattered wheel is the least of the problem, since the car usually ends up worse.
That last paragraph have very good points to consider.

But it just cracks me up when people say, certain aftermarket wheel brands crack/bend/withstand impacts from potholes and curbs... C'mon be serious and think logically, wheels and tires weren't designed to go through potholes/curbs, once you go through those kinds of road conditions, it's all in luck wether your wheels/tires get damaged or not. I agree that not-so-known brands are more prone to damage, they're not not-so-known for no reason, but don't say that well-known brands are like Superman's "wheels of steel".

I guess for everything to make sense; use your wheels/tires properly, as a matter of fact let's include the entire car, use them properly. If you didn't buy a 4x4, don't expect it to handle off-road conditions, if you didn't buy racing wheels/tires and you're not driving in the track then don't drive it like you stole it, if you bought knock-offs(like me) then don't go complaining after sometime that the company suck at this suck at that. Just remember; that you always get what you paid for.

I'm not saying that the OEM are better though. What I'm saying is, the OEM parts are the ones used by the factory to test the car when it was being designed and engineered and not aftermarket parts. So, the car manufacturer/engineers that designed it can at least guarantee something the car can perform on certain driving conditions/instances. For example, if you change the hood of your car to a carbon fiber hood, there is a big possibility that you might get injured more than another totally the same car with stock hood. Just to add; especially for Toyota/Lexus, when they design cars for safety, they call some parts of the car as the crush zone/crumple zone. And since, CF hood don't necessarily crush or crumple the same way as metal, then you should get the idea by now.

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-19-12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 04:49 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Well the guy did say:

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Have fun bending them and ruining them with pot holes.
...because given the same exact situation - sure, both cheapo and branded aftermarket wheels will take damage, but I'll be willing to bet 9 times out of 10 that the cheapo wheel will sustain worse.

I don't discourage people to buy fake/cheap wheels because I'm trying to make them spend more money, I do it because you're putting your life on the line (and everyone else in the car with you) everytime you drive on crappy stuff. Case in point:

EXHIBIT A:

- taken from a bookmark I've had to reinforce my point: Here are XXR's, one which decided to explode while the owner was just driving down a surface road on a cold snowy day. There was no potholes, no road damage at the location of the incident. Lucky for the driver she wasn't going high speed on a freeway or it would have been much, much worse:

and EXHIBIT B:
- From those cool dudes at Weds Wheels:

Now can you tell me that being cheap (like buying $650 XXR's) are worth it?
Old 03-19-12, 05:17 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

See, this is what bugs me about claims like that, if she's saying that the wheels "exploded" for no reason while she was driving, then the company(XXR) should be held liable for that. 'Cause that actually falls under factory defect since she's claiming that "for no reason it exploded while she's driving"? But in the end, there are still a lot of factors in play with these kind of incidents...
Old 03-19-12, 05:27 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
See, this is what bugs me about claims like that, if she's saying that the wheels "exploded" for no reason while she was driving, then the company(XXR) should be held liable for that. 'Cause that actually falls under factory defect since she's claiming that "for no reason it exploded while she's driving"? But in the end, there are still a lot of factors in play with these kind of incidents...
You're missing the point. It's not about who's liable... it's about who's alive after something like that happens.
Old 03-19-12, 05:41 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Oh no, I get it, I get your point. My point is; if something like this had happened to someone, and it has happened to another person, and another and so on... Then it would've gained so much notoriety already and "this" company should've been shut down already by authorities or whatever? Or am I just expecting too much from the "authorities" when I say that? It's just that, it's so easy to claim that "it exploded for no reason", and believe me I've heard it so much already and I know that people would do anything for either attention or money, especially in the internet. It's hard not to believe after seeing the pics, but at the same time, it's so hard to believe knowing people are crazy.
Old 03-19-12, 06:05 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Well you can also possibly attribute it to "user error" (bad driving, loose lug nuts, wrong center bore, whatever) - but if you think about it, the initial "error" was buying those cheap wheels to begin with.

Like I said, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 good wheels actually crack, but I've seen tons of cheap wheels crack. And daily-driven cars experience much more abuse than race cars when it comes to wheels - expansion joints, driveways, speed bumps, pot holes, sink holes, slurry joints, small furry animals crossing the road, etc.

The OP is looking for a "3-4" lip around +25 offset" for $650 brand new?!?! Not to burst his/her bubble, but let's be realistic here. That just doesn't happen.
Old 03-19-12, 06:14 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I agree with you. When you buy cheap anything, you should expect a rebound after that. So, it's either you suck it up or you save up for what you really like.
Old 03-20-12, 12:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

EXHIBIT A:

- taken from a bookmark I've had to reinforce my point: Here are XXR's, one which decided to explode while the owner was just driving down a surface road on a cold snowy day. There was no potholes, no road damage at the location of the incident. Lucky for the driver she wasn't going high speed on a freeway or it would have been much, much worse:

Hold on a second... I am all for running a good set of wheels as much as you are, but, that picture doesn't portray a wheel that blew up and caused the rest of that damage... That vehicle hit something, most likely an almost immovable object (pole, tree, barrier, etc)... Now, which happened first, I do not know, the wheel could have failed first leading into the impact, or, what looks more realistic, that the car hit an object at decent speed, decent enough to push the entire r/f suspension back at least a foot.

Either way, the wheel didn't do that just driving along, perhaps it failed, but it didn't break into that many pieces by itself - it took an external impact of some sorts, again, which came first would be hard to say, but, if no one was around, I know which I would tell my insurance company happened first too...
Old 03-20-12, 12:36 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
That vehicle hit something, most likely an almost immovable object (pole, tree, barrier, etc)... Now, which happened first, I do not know, the wheel could have failed first leading into the impact, or, what looks more realistic, that the car hit an object at decent speed, decent enough to push the entire r/f suspension back at least a foot.
Wheel failure came first, followed by the car pulling to the right, followed by the car crashing into the rear corner of a parked car.

Hitting something first to do that same amount of damage to the body isn't enough to do the same amount of damage to the wheel. I've been in a 92mph front-to-corner crash and the front of my car was obliterated, but the front wheels were surprisingly just bent. IFor the driver of the Evo to kill a wheel like shown in the photos due to a front end crash (as opposed to the other way around) I would pretty much say that the front of that car should have had a lot more damage.

And just to be clear - I do not know the owner of that car, I was not there at the incident. So I'm only repeating what I read/saw... but I do speak from experience when I talked about the bent good heels and snapped/shattered/cracked cheap wheels.
Old 03-20-12, 12:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wheel failure came first, followed by the car pulling to the right, followed by the car crashing into the rear corner of a parked car.

Hitting something first to do that same amount of damage to the body isn't enough to do the same amount of damage to the wheel. I've been in a 92mph front-to-corner crash and the front of my car was obliterated, but the front wheels were surprisingly just bent. IFor the driver of the Evo to kill a wheel like shown in the photos due to a front end crash (as opposed to the other way around) I would pretty much say that the front of that car should have had a lot more damage.

And just to be clear - I do not know the owner of that car, I was not there at the incident. So I'm only repeating what I read/saw... but I do speak from experience when I talked about the bent good heels and snapped/shattered/cracked cheap wheels.
I don't know man, I've seen some pretty spectacularly broken wheels, including OEM wheels that somewhat mimic what is seen above, usually from curbs...

A quick google search shows a couple similar:

The LP640 shown on the pictures is a total loss. The left hand side hit the guard rail and the left rear wheel has broken off. The front and rear bumper have also separated from the main body work. from: http://www.gtspirit.com/2010/12/25/c...stmas-evening/

It was then I heard my car make a thump noise, followed by a sharp, sudden crack (that noise was my 5 spoke oem lexus wheel splitting in half, it was my driver's side front wheel... From: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...els-rumor.html

Aston Martin DB7: Rear alloy wheel breaks apart intro accident! From: http://www.inautonews.com/aston-mart...intro-accident

So, not saying its common or anything, but those are OEM wheels broken from accidents, or, in the case of the Lexus wheel, fatigue, perhaps... Either way, not saying to run out and buy those XXR wheels, as they are evidently pretty cheaply made (they are destroyed well more than a wheel should be), but, I still question what exactly happened in her wreck, and I can guarantee at least some of the wheel damage is from the impact, impact that no wheel was designed to withstand...
Old 03-20-12, 12:55 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Either way, not saying to run out and buy those XXR wheels, as they are evidently pretty cheaply made (they are destroyed well more than a wheel should be)
That was the point