Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

17", 18" or 19" tires???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-02, 12:20 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could not agree more with AgGS400.. 17's on the SC430 should only be done if you want to run winter rubber in my eyes.. The RF tires are very stiff and if you are coming from a stock GS or LS then they would seem super harsh.. I've got 19" Toyo T1-S on my SC430 and they run smooth as silk with the Tein Flex suspension.. Guess it all comes down to what you are used to..

Staggered setup is the only way to go on the SC430 like AgGS400 said.. Or use of H&R 25mm spacers out back so you get the look but save the ability to rotate the tires..

Now i'm not an expert like Manaray or GS4Will when it comes to wheels but they are right on the ball when it comes to putting quality wheels on your EXPENSIVE SC430.. Konigs are crap because they bend sooooo easy (Personal experence).. Just looking out!

GS4Will helped me get Work Wheels and they are TOP notch in quality and the price isn't too bad.. So check out the websites that Manaray posted and hit GS4Will or Peter @ WheelExperts up.. Both great guys who know their stuff!

Hope that helps!
Old 11-26-02, 05:29 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's true, the run-flat tires ride like a$$... the Corvette guys call 'em "run-craps."

gkw, I gather that you're working on an SC430- if you replace the factory run-flat tires with the Michelins (non run-flat), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the improvement in ride quality and reduction in noise. You will loose the run-flat capability of the tires (better update your AAA card!), but retain the function of the run-flat sensors.

Nobody has mentioned that the Konigs (or most other aftermarket wheels) will not accept the OE run-flat sensor (integral to the valve stem) as a bolt-in exchange. If you are looking to keep the run-flat sensor capability, you have three options:
1) Buy a nice set of wheels with run-flat sensor capability built-in (for example, the HRE 540 series come to mind- we do it all the time for Corvette C5, Mercedes SL500 and S500, and Lexus LS430 customers with factory run-flat systems)
2) Use a giant stainless steel clamp to attach the OE sensor to the barrel of the wheel (the entire assembly will be covered by the tire) and use a standard valve stem.
3) Ditch the entire affair and run no sensors (light on the dash will constantly warn you to "service tire press sys" and non run-flat tires.

The 17" run-flat tires (Goodyear EMT) from the Corvette C5 will work on your car (the OE Corvette front wheel is 17x8.5, btw) provided you purchase a set of 17x8/8.5/9 wheels. The Goodyear is a performance-oriented tire, so it will actually be noisier, wear more quickly, and any improvement in ride quality will probably not even be noticeable... but at least the car will look gross on 17s (hey, a new trend... "minus one" wheel upgrades!)

All jabs aside, I would recommend using the OE wheels and switching to a high-quality non run-flat tire. If you are thinking about changing wheels and tires completely, be prepared to spend a few bucks if you want to retain the features of the OE Lexus tire pressure monitoring system.