Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Snow wheels and tires??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 06:12 PM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Snow wheels and tires??

I recently moved to NYC and experienced my first major snow storm. I have chrome wheels on my car and wanted to get everyone's opinion if I should replace them with the stick rims and snow tires because of the salt on the roads. Will salt affect the chrome?

Thanks for all your responses.

Ron
Old 12-09-02, 07:14 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Welcome to NY and CL

Ron,

I am a similar situation (not the recently moving part), but I don't drive my GS much winters. I had always planned on getting chromes, but I had gotten the stock 16's to use as winter rims and went aftermarket on my chromies. If you plan on driving in the winter I would absolutely consider getting the chromes off and going with stock 16's (mainly because more all-season/winter tires are available/more affordable in that size range) and Yes the winter salt will ruin your chromes.

Check the classifieds, there are a few for sale including my 16's.
Old 12-09-02, 07:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Wheels and Tires (long)

I just went through this whole ordeal... here is what I know..
1. The costs of mounting and unmounting your tires twice per year will more than outweigh the cost of some new rims (unless you have a friend who will do it on the cheap).
2. Those chrome wheels are way to nice to use for winter wheels.
3. The stock 17" tires can NOT be used in the snow - they are summer only and you will kill yourself if you try to use them in the snow.
4. As Johnny pointed out, there are a lot of 16" wheels for sale, including his and SilverGS (PM them for info). You can PM me for more info on both of their current rims as well.
5. SUPRATRD (Steve from Carson Toyota) might still have some 17" 2002 OEM wheels and Tires for sale. You can PM him.

Ok that said,
The 17's are going to cost you a bunch more cash - not only are the rims more expensive but the tires are $40-$50 more as well. Plus 16" rims do better in the snow and have less of a chance of bending with a pothole (more sidewall).
That said, I still went with the 17's cause I was tired of looking at the 16" wheels and snow tires on my 540 for 5 months out of the year so I figured the same thing would happen on the GS.
I like the look of the 2002 17" wheels and since I'm getting a set of new tires with my new rims (right Steve?), I will use those tires when my current ones are history (which sounds like about 15K worth of use).
I also chose the LM-22 Blizzaks from tirerack. The Dunlop Winter Sport M2 were a close second choice as they were $20 per tire cheaper and have almost as good ratings. I still choose the LM-22s because they are a newer tire and supposedly a little better.
The WS-50 Blizzaks are the best for snow ice but can be squirmy on dry pavement. However if you want the best possible traction in the snow, those would be the tires. Since I do a lot of highway driving, I chose the LM-22s.
Last but not least, remember the OEM tires are not rated so hot - the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03 tires have MUCH higher rankings than the OEM tires - so even if you are getting a set of OEM tires with your rims, you may not want to take those tires. Once again, I did since I will only be driving on them for an additional summer before the lease is up.
Oh and finally, Tirerack will sell you a nice set of 16" wheels with the Dunlops for $900 delivered. That's the cheapest route to go and the rims are pretty nice.
PM me with questions...

Doug
Old 12-09-02, 08:56 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The salt will definately eat the chrome...if you want the wheels to still look good in the summer...take them off as soon as possible...make sure to rinse them real well....
Old 12-10-02, 01:37 AM
bypass
Driver School Candidate

http://www.nokiantires.com/

Nokian NRW - true "All Weather Plus" tire (225/45R17 91V)
Hakkapeliitta Q - world leader in winter tires (225/55R16 95Q )
Old 12-10-02, 11:07 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

I have a friend of mine with a set of Blizzaks just lying around that he used for a season that offered to sell them to me cheap. I first thought to get it, but after the first storm(and my first RWD experience in it), it wasn't too bad. I might hold off on snow tires for now..
Ed
Old 12-11-02, 03:08 PM
RonM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone's comments. I think I'll be ordering a set of winter tires right away to get better grip out in the snow and ice and also to keep the chrome rims from getting damaged.
Old 12-11-02, 10:24 PM
david2u
Driver School Candidate

I have a 01 GS300, and just put on a set on Blizzak's LM-22 the day before the snow storm.

I work in the Bronx, and live on Long Island, and I can tell you that the ABS, nor the traction control ever came on during the whole trip.

I was even passing some "slower" moving traffic on Hempstead turnpike and even with changing lanes, never broke the rears.

The summer tires I have are the Dunlop Sport A2, and I doubt I would have had the same experience if I would of had them on the car that night.