Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

wheel balancing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 08:53 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wheel balancing

I feel a bit of a vibration from time to time while driving. It kind of feels like im driving over those bumps in the road they place around tolls. I think it may be a wheel balancing issue, but maybe not.

So when i first got my wheels, i got a set of new tires. When i got them mounted & balanced, the place put wheel weights on the inner lip, so they were not seen on all 4 wheels. I had no problems once they were mounted.
Recently I purchased 4 new tires. I got the front tires mounted first, so i could fit them and roll my fenders a bit more in the rear. I brought them to the same place, they put the weights in the same place, and the new tires felt great.

A few days ago I went to a shop recommended from a friend to get the rear 2 mounted and balanced. As they were balancing, i realized they put weights not only on the inside lip, but he also put sticky weights on the inside of the barrel. Everything was mounted and ever since i left the shop ive been feeling that vibration. It feels like it may be coming from the rear, but im not entirely sure.

I find it weird that since he put more weights, and in a different place, its been different.
Could this be the problem?
Old 02-07-13, 07:46 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the vibration has been persistent since getting the new rear tires installed it's probably a balancing issue. If it comes and goes then it might be something else. Usually a balance issue will always show up at the same time like the same speed or on the same road.
Old 02-07-13, 09:24 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

its pretty much always there until i get to about 40 mph. could thw shop putting the weights on the inner barrel make a difference?

I dont believe its any suspension components as it only happened once i left the shop. Before, the ride was fine

Last edited by hihopes; 02-07-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 12:50 PM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

I don't think it's a matter of the weights on the lip or in the barrel of the wheel, it's whether or not the tire and wheel are actually balanced. Really unless you have a steel wheels the preferred area to put wheel weights would in the barrel. I would go back to the tire shop and have them check for balance.
Old 02-07-13, 09:11 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Alright ill go back this weekend.
Just to clear things up, its okay to have weights both on the lip and in the barrel of the same wheel?
Im just confused as to why they were placed on both inside and on the lip, opposed to just the lip every other time. As if this shop put weights in two places, instead of one.
Thanks
Old 02-08-13, 08:37 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get it road force balance instead, ITs better then regular dynamic balance. You might have a slightly high road force tire causing the vibration and needs to be remounted to rim to optimal position or replaced.
Old 02-09-13, 06:26 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hihopes
Alright ill go back this weekend.
Just to clear things up, its okay to have weights both on the lip and in the barrel of the same wheel?
Im just confused as to why they were placed on both inside and on the lip, opposed to just the lip every other time. As if this shop put weights in two places, instead of one.
Thanks
It's not typical to put weights on both inside and outside but if the wheel is out of round it may be too much weight to put all in one location. The road force balance machine can let you know if the wheel is out round and if it's not I'm sure the new tire shop can put all the weight is one spot if you like and clear up the vibration issue.

Last edited by zig@tr; 02-26-13 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 12:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

One quick note... if a tire is shaking before you get to 40 mph, it is almost impossible for it to be the balance... balance doesn't really come into play until 40-45 mph...

Weights should be mounted so that the tire is balanced dynamically. This means one set of weight on the inside lip and one set of weight on the outside lip. If one or the other isn't accessible, the weights should be mounted in the barrel of the wheel as close to the lip as possible using sticky weights.

Sometimes, shops only balance statically, which means only one set of weights on the inner most lip, or sometimes down the middle of the wheel. This will account for balance radially, but not side to side, which is a potential issue if the side to side balance is too far out...
Old 02-26-13, 12:10 AM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
One quick note... if a tire is shaking before you get to 40 mph, it is almost impossible for it to be the balance... balance doesn't really come into play until 40-45 mph...

Weights should be mounted so that the tire is balanced dynamically. This means one set of weight on the inside lip and one set of weight on the outside lip. If one or the other isn't accessible, the weights should be mounted in the barrel of the wheel as close to the lip as possible using sticky weights.

Sometimes, shops only balance statically, which means only one set of weights on the inner most lip, or sometimes down the middle of the wheel. This will account for balance radially, but not side to side, which is a potential issue if the side to side balance is too far out...
So would a Hunter 9700 road force balance machine eliminate this issue?
Old 02-27-13, 06:16 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii60
This is what we have been talking about earlier.
Old 02-27-13, 06:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii60
only if the person using it can utilize its full potential...
Old 02-27-13, 10:21 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
only if the person using it can utilize its full potential...
+1 so true!