Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

IS250 - Need Help w/ weird Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 07:52 PM
nitrobass2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 - Need Help w/ weird Issue

Hey everyone new to the forum here. I have an odd issue and I tried searching, but I guess I am not searching for the right thing.

I have a 2008 IS250 w/ 18 rims. I have made no mods to the car, have had the stock Bridgestone tires on there.

My problem with this car since the day i bought it...about a year ago is that I feel like it is driving me sometimes.

Ill be on the highway and its like the car is stuck on a groove and when i move the steering wheel i dont get the expected reaction, and really have to make a conscious decision to steer the car. NOT to be confused with it takes strength, but rather it feels really loose.

I have taken it to the shop multiple times and it was until i drove someone elses car and it did the same thing. So i know its not my steering or suspension.

I don't really know how else to describe this feeling, but I am now in need of new tires and am hoping that some better tires fix my issue.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-13, 07:39 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi there, welcome to Club Lexus

Have you tried doing a search in the 2nd Gen IS Forum? I know alignment questions pop up there from time to time.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eneration-163/
Old 03-23-13, 09:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bridgestone tires that are put on those IS are junk and not the best. There are better Bridgestone tires or Michelin tires that won't make your car "Tramline" like you are describing. I know that and I have resolved it several times.
Old 03-23-13, 10:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Different tires may make the problem better, they perhaps could make it worse too. The stock Bridgestones are not the best, but they definitely aren't the worst tire on the market either... There are much better Bridgestone options, as well as offerings from a few other manufacturers. Just because it is a better tire doesn't mean it will fix your "problem." I would suggest having the alignment checked first, as improper toe settings can affect the vehicle the way you are describing. If the alignment turns out good (not just close, but good), and in combination with new tires, you still have the issue, then it just might be the way the car drives and you aren't quite used to it yet...

Cars drive all sorts of different ways. Go drive a brand new Dodge Dart or Fiat 500. Those things have the most sensitive steering and brakes and take some real getting used to, as a steering or brake input in my car (IS300) gives good response and a progressive feel would put your face in the steering wheel or through the side window they are so aggressive at initial response... If you are used to a car like that, and then drive an IS250, there is a chance it is just different... Hard to say without being there, but hopefully you understand...