Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: What wheel style suits you?
Chrome is in!
56.38%
Chrome is out!
13.30%
Polished for me!
22.34%
Black or 'smoke' wheels.
6.38%
Hubcaps are good.
1.60%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Chrome - in or out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 12:20 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I heard Manaray just loves chrome wheels . I heard he tells all those Cali boys not to ride chrome so he can be the only pimp in a LExus on chrome in southern California.
Old 12-26-02, 02:17 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by APLUS
Yeah I heard Manaray just loves chrome wheels . I heard he tells all those Cali boys not to ride chrome so he can be the only pimp in a LExus on chrome in southern California.
hehe, i thought that was a secret! now everyone is going to know....
Old 12-26-02, 02:31 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Not just chrome, I heard Manaray bought 5 sets of chrome Giovanna's from superbuy AND he bought the spinner attachment. He hasn't been on much because of all the women in Cali are flocking to see his rides, plus his photo shoot with DUB magizine.

Last edited by jpa2400; 12-26-02 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-26-02, 03:59 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome or Silver?

I vote for hyper silver painted. Some wheels look great in chrome, like plain AMG, Lorinser, AC Schnitzer, etc. but pretty subjective anyway. I think the polished alloy looks best esthetically, but a little flashy for me and a maintenance headache. Hyper silver is a step above the stock (grey) silver look, and is easy to maintain. I have never had to repair a painted silver wheel. Just about any used chrome wheel advertised on ebay will have some peeling or breaks in the chrome plating.
Old 12-27-02, 01:56 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Chrome used to be slick. Hell, back in '81 with the debut of 500 SEL, the gold BBS rims were new and sweet.
Now, the masses have ruined it. Chrome out, silver, polished, graphite, etc. is the way to go.
Old 12-27-02, 06:40 PM
LexFather

Everyone has chrome on every car. Hell fake chrome hucaps at pepboys. Though when it spins, it is hypnotizing

Old 12-28-02, 01:27 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by genearch
Brushed & polished lip (Wheels courtesy of Wheel Experts )

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm speechless..
Old 12-28-02, 10:19 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Yes the SC430 above is sweet as all hell, but this is truly speechless:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by APLUS; 12-28-02 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-29-02, 02:59 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

I'm going to have to go with Genearch on this one...now that I see the same setup with one chrome and one polished, I realize just how much I like the polished finish. The chrome rims look rediculously bad on that SC430 and take away from the car's total package, while the polished rims compliment the car. To each his own though
Old 12-29-02, 06:06 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Yeah I relize those are the exact same wheels. That is why I chose that pic, so people can get an idea of chrome vs. polished on an identical car with the same model wheels.
Yeah I said your is sweet as hell.
But regarding to my previous post(s) you know I like chrome. So when I saw that one posted of your car I had to post one with chrome on it .
Hell when I get my SC430 (few months) those wheels will be going on it. Thanks for posting the exact offset of the second chrome pic
I would take both SC's, one to drive at night when it's dry (the one with chrome) and one to drive all the other times (yours)
Old 12-29-02, 06:37 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Okay. Yeah I was wondering about the fitment with the spacers on there. I was orginally planning on doing a 20in front and rear with Yokaham AVS Sport 275/35ZR/20 (F) and 285/30ZR/20 (R)
with a coilover system and without the spacers.
Old 12-29-02, 08:20 PM
Lvangundy

Didn't think my thread would get this many responses..

Last edited by Lvangundy; 12-29-02 at 08:20 PM.

Old 12-30-02, 01:03 AM
Wheel Experts

Originally posted by APLUS
Okay. Yeah I was wondering about the fitment with the spacers on there. I was orginally planning on doing a 20in front and rear with Yokaham AVS Sport 275/35ZR/20 (F) and 285/30ZR/20 (R)
with a coilover system and without the spacers.
You can do the exact same setup as Gene, but in chrome. 20x8.5 with 245/35/20 front and 20x10 with 275/30/20 rear.

19 and 20 setup is not adviseable, but if you like the chrome, and you have an SC430, we have some chrome 20s in stock.
Old 01-05-03, 11:38 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CHROME ALL DAY!! However, they gotta be 20's. I went through the same dilema, but I ended up with 20" chrome HRE 540's on my black GS, and I wouldnt change it!
Old 01-09-03, 09:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it interesting that most of the chrome fans are from the East Coast- this confirms my theory that they are behind us trend-setting Cali boys by about a half-decade (no flames, please).

The truth is, the new car trends are coming from the West Coast (part of the reason many car manufactureres have design studios here). Chrome is out. Period.

A few facts about chrome:
* It's heavy
* It's a dissimilar metal to aluminum, adhesion and corrosion are ALWAYS problems
* There is no such thing as a "perfect" chrome job.
* It makes wheels look smaller than the same wheel in a painted or diamond-cut finish
* The heat applied in the chroming process takes a bit of 'temper' out of the aluminum, compromising the structural integrity of the wheel
* It's great if you are a 'baller' or 'gangsta'
* It's the perfect compliment to the "MLC package" on a new car: chrome wheels, gold emblems, gold exhaust tips, and window 'vent shades' (plus a Landau top if you have a Buick or Caddy). The final touch: have your initials painted on the door, just below the window.

But seriously, chrome doesn't bother me that much, and on darker-colored cars it actually looks okay. I prefer to let the lines of the car speak for themselves, while exuding a 'performance' look. Chrome says 'for show.' Diamond-cut/brushed/paint says " for GO!"

Quick Reply: Chrome - in or out?