Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ADR Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03 | 01:10 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JRK,

I don't tend to judge people based on their choice of wheels....try not to at least. Do you plan on getting aftermarket wheels for your BMW? What kind are you saving for? I also wanted your opinion on what would look good on an IS300 once you get the money for one.

Thanks....I like classy wheels too.

MW
Old 01-06-03 | 02:32 AM
JRK
Pole Position

It is a possibility that I might get aftermarket wheels for the 530. I would put nothing but 19 inch HRE (either 546R's or 547R's) wheels on it if i do decide to go aftermarket. It is quite expensive though.

As you can see in my signature, I am deciding between three cars. The IS300 is one of them. If I did decide to get the IS, and if I also decided to upgrade the wheels, I would probably choose VOLK GTC's, L-Sportline Model IVs, HRE's (545R, 546R, or 547R).
Old 01-06-03 | 02:39 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

JRK,

I hear ya, not everyone can afford those nice wheels/cars. That is why I do not knock people with stock/cheaper wheels. They are usually not, "I am cheap and have no money or both." kinda people, but rather waiting to save up for nice rims and want something now, or just have other reasons to not poke out that kinda cash. I had one friend that bought 4 sets of MK Motorsport wheels for his M5 because they kept getting stolen. So to prevent anymore damage to his M5 he bought some less expensive wheels that looked nice.

MW
Old 01-06-03 | 07:04 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having a knock-off wheel may not be the worst thing to do, but it is something to avoid if possible. first off, there is the peace of mind of not supporting a crap company, versus buying from a reputatble one. ADR might not have chrome-plated plastic rims, but other nice rims can be had for the same amount of money. also, a low price may raise a mental red flag, as i learned the hard way

the one piece sterling won't allow any differences in widths or offsets, and are probably only 8.0", maybe .5" more or less. if you can afford and want to spring for it, get the BR5. get the 10" rear if you want as well

i'm not taking sides, but my zenetti mystiks(weds kranze cerberus wanna-be) are rotting in the garage in favor of recently acquired lowenhart br5 and i feel a world better now that i know the difference
Old 01-06-03 | 03:16 PM
JRK
Pole Position

Originally posted by bravo261
i'm not taking sides, but my zenetti mystiks(weds kranze cerberus wanna-be) are rotting in the garage in favor of recently acquired lowenhart br5 and i feel a world better now that i know the difference
Exactly. That is the exactly what I am talking about. Knock-off wheels do not have quality. The same thing with knock-off body kits. When people buy knock-off body kits, they usually have to end up paying more or around the same amount as the price of the same genuine kit because of the following reason. Knock-off kits do not fit perfectly and it is necessary to have custom molding to fit your car. If this is not done, they're will be huge gaps between the headlight and the hood, or between the fender and the bumper, etc.

That is just one example of how anything that is knock-off is a huge headache to deal with.
Old 02-01-03 | 07:48 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

People have to remember there are all types of people on this site. Different budgets and such. What I dont like is when people are stating an "opinion" and putting it out as a fact. If you know about a particular wheel then say you know first hand. I think some people just hate knock-off wheels period. But if the wheel gives you what you are asking for then go get it. Dont be scared...LOL
Old 02-01-03 | 09:48 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if u r in an area where the roads r in bad condition i would recomend getting a little better quality wheel cus the " knock off" usually bend faster than a the higher brands but i don't c a big problems with dif brands , fit what is in your budget, don't make quick rash decisions , sometimes its better to wait than to rush
Old 02-01-03 | 10:51 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx guys, I gave this info to a guy who was asking. I don't know what he is going to do. He wants them for his 540i.
Old 02-03-03 | 09:54 AM
minh
Pole Position

About higher quality wheels bending less often. I've heard otherwise. Besides, I'd rather replace wheels that are $400 a piece rather than wheels that are $1000 a piece. I just bent 2 of my 19" knockoffs (unrepairable). I know that the real deal would not have fared much better. In case you're wondering. 85mph on the freeway pothole 6 inches deep 2 feet wide with traffic on both sides of me (the pothole was unavoidable.) If I had the real things I'd be out $2000 already and I've had them less than 6 months.

Last edited by minh; 02-03-03 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-03-03 | 11:40 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Maybe if they were real 3pc wheels you could have had them fixed.
Old 02-03-03 | 01:10 PM
minh
Pole Position

AVS Model 5 doesn't come in 3 piece
Old 02-03-03 | 04:49 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jpa2400
Maybe if they were real 3pc wheels you could have had them fixed.
makes me wonder how hard it is to fix, and how well its done. i know you could replace certain parts of a 3-piece, but it'll probably cost you gobs of money for it. plus i hear 3-pieces never go back as well together again.

anyone have this exact experience of having a 3-piece repaired from significant damage?
Old 02-03-03 | 04:51 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Well I heard HRE of course, you cannot go wrong, they will fix it but you will be without a wheel for a few weeks, I guess you would either way since your wheel is broke. I read on here a few times where someone bought overseas 3PC wheels and they didn't really have the parts on hand? But they still should be easier to fix if you know a good place to get them repaired.
Old 10-11-03 | 11:31 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WOW

I agree with the "hey if ya never had a first hand experience then maybe the opinion is just an opinion"

Hey if ya haven't owned the wheel.....then maybe you should pause on the bashing....

I have owned knockoff's and haven't had a problem....Living in NYC I can say I deal with the worst streets in the country...So I can speak on these:
I have owned TSW's Sportline E, Zenetti Milano's, Maxxim 187's, Detata Groove 115's, and ADR Sterling's.....chrome and silver finishes....AND NEVER HAD A problem with bends or finish's comming off, balancing or whatever

I've owned them and driven on them over the course of years a with various cars. The only wheel Ive owned (bought form The Tire Rack) is Mili Miglia Spider Chrome.........the finish started to blacken under the chrome after 8 months...i(t was painted on I found out later from the tire rack)........Tire Rack with their excellent customer service took them back and gave me a full refund.

So maybe the knock-off hating guys in this post are not just hating but being "Haters" .......LOL......(calm down it's just a joke...lol)

Point is: Speak on WHAT YOU KNOW FIRST HAND!
Old 10-11-03 | 03:46 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRK
It is just my personal opinion. I would not feel right putting imitations wheels on my car. (especially a nice car like a BMW, Lexus, MB, etc.) I think they say "I am cheap and have no money or both." [/QUOTE

That is a pretty arrogant thing to say. I actually take offence to this comment. I only spent $300 a piece for my lightweight Centerlines. Are you calling me cheap or I have no money???? I chose the Centerlines because they are the lightest wheel on the market. I drag race my car and the unsprung weight advantage is awsome. I did not choose to buy these for price, I would have spent whatever the cost would be, but for quality of wheel and I just happened to be looking for the look. Are you saying Centerlines and Weld wheels are junk? I think not... Maybe, someone is not as fortunate as everybody else and wants to look good, or maybe as stated before do not wan't to damage a really expensive set of wheels in the streets of NY does not give you the right to judge who is cheap or broke!!!! Just because I chose not to spend $5000 for a set of chrome Racing Hart or Volks...brother, get over it. I am so sure your just the envy of your neighborhood.

Last edited by UncleNick; 10-11-03 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: ADR Wheels?