Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What do u think of this spinning rim (file attatched)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 12:49 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Erick G
lowenharts dont make spinning wheels
those are addon spinners from spintek i believe

knockoff spinners
what will they think of next

saw some davin rs3.2 on a white sc430
looked pretty good to be honest

Erick G
yup
Old 02-01-03, 09:30 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

no ..i looked it up lowenhart makes ld1 with spinners and ld5 with spinners, i don't personally like spinners i think its more for trucks and mayb the big ***** m-benzes but lowenhart makes a 20x8.5 front ld5 spinner and a deep dish 20x10 spinner ld5 which would look kind of crazy, but they r $9000.00 ,i can think of many more things u can do with that kind of money
Attached Thumbnails What do u think of this spinning rim (file attatched)-lowenhartld5-sp6.jpg  
Old 02-01-03, 09:31 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

its a lowenhart rim with a chopper spinner added to it, kind of takes away from the lowenhart name
Old 02-03-03, 12:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haterz? Why is it that people with bad taste always say people with good taste are "haterz".

Some of the Davin wheels wouldn't look so bad if they didn't spin. Just the whole CONCEPT is retarded...dunno, I must just be a "hater"...
Old 02-03-03, 12:56 AM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Default Re: haters

Originally posted by AZN Lex
wasup man,
dont listen to the haters that dont like the chrome and spinning rims. If you like them and you have the cash i say go for it. If i had the RX i would get the deep dish davins, RS3.2 i believe. I have seen a good number of spinnin rims on SUV's and i saw the RS3.2 davins on a mercedes G500 and it looked the best by far.
I'm not a hater. I don't feel any hate at all concerning the spinning wheel. I just think it’s a mistake putting that wheel on a Lex. I think that a Lexus is a very classy car and that the wheel is the most important visual mod you can do so it's equally important that the wheel is classy as well. I think that this wheel is really cheep, it attracts attention in a bad way. Knocking on the viewer head and tell him "In case you didn't notice my nice subtle car I have put these on".
/Fredric
Old 02-03-03, 04:18 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Manaray - With all of your "good taste" and all of the many rims in the world, you would diss on my 18's and tell me to put some 17" IS300 wheels on it! You are a fruit. I caught the discouttiredirect.com glitch over a year ago and got the rims for $85 a piece. 18x7.5's. I think they blend in with the car , and "match" it in a way.
Old 02-03-03, 08:11 AM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Angry

Originally posted by MarkBdfrd
Manaray - With all of your "good taste" and all of the many rims in the world, you would diss on my 18's and tell me to put some 17" IS300 wheels on it! You are a fruit. I caught the discouttiredirect.com glitch over a year ago and got the rims for $85 a piece. 18x7.5's. I think they blend in with the car , and "match" it in a way.
What did that come from? I think Manaray is entitled his opinion without you calling him bad things.
/Fredric

Last edited by fboukari; 02-03-03 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 08:44 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by fboukari
What did that come from? I think Manaray is entitled his opinion without you calling him bad things.
/Fredric

was their really a need for the fruit talk?
Old 02-03-03, 08:52 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather run the 17" Lexus IS wheels then a knockoff 18" wheel. Sounds like you got a deal for $85.

It's like the Louis Vuitton Knockoff stuff that is "stolen" Yeah you think you got a $1000 item for $300, but you paid $300 for a piece of crap and paying anything for a piece of crap is not a deal.
Old 02-03-03, 09:13 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MarkBdfrd
Take a look at what you posted...."you would diss on my 18's"...notice you did not care about the quality, style or whatnot, you just think it's not worth "dissing" SIMPLY BECAUSE they are 18's...I'd rather have some quality 17's then some crappy 18's.

You have 1-piece cast knock-offs (that looks like a wanna-be 3-piece) of an original AME designed wheel. You bought it for $85/each. Wow. Like JPA pointed out, that's like buying a FAKE Louis Vuitton wallet for $5...

Kick back, read some threads, learn some things...

Last edited by Manaray; 02-03-03 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 04:30 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Point taken, but I have heard no reports of this rim just cracking while driving down the street or anything like that. I understand aluminum cracks vs. bending. So I dont get it. I understand quality, but quality at 180mph and 100mph are quite different. My comment to Manaray actually stemmed from another thread. You are right manaray, the 17's Is300's do look nice. Before I bought the Konig's I was seriously considering them. At the time I couldnt find them on Ebay. But I think my 18's look small right now. I thinks it's because they have the lip around edge making the eyes focus more on the blades. In all seriousness how does a one piece rim differ from a 3 piece? And again....seriously what would you guys recommend. I like the way the "blades" look while spinning. Not spinning rims. Thanks
Old 02-03-03, 05:35 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well issue with 1-piece wheels that "look" like 3-piece wheels is that it's rather cheezy. If it's not a 3-piece wheel, there's no need to make it look like one other than for people who are trying to fake the funk...I've seen a few 1-piece wheels with a nice lip (without the fake bolts around the outside) that look good...but people try to fake that look because generally, 3-piece (or 2-piece) wheels are more expensive. Again, trying to "pimp" something they don't really have.

As for aluminum cracking vs. bending...from my experience, I've seen all kinds of wheels crack and bend. Usually, cast aluminum wheels crack from what I've seen. Forged wheels fair better in the same situation. However, on lipped wheels, the lips tend to bend (unless it's a cast lip...like in fake 3/2-piece wheels which I've seen crack). Of course, in severe situations, I've seen entire wheels get TORN apart (but in those cases, the condition of the wheel will NOT be your main concern.)

As for the 18's looking small, the IS300 5-spoke will "visually" look very close or sometimes larger because of what you stated about the lip. The IS's spokes go all the way to the edge which gives you the optical illusion of the entire wheel looking larger. On the ES, I've seen people stuff 19's in there (I believe that Yokohama makes some thin tires in 19"...like 215/225 sizes that should work on a ES).

19's do look nice but you ABSOLUTELY must lower the car or it will look like a 4x4...even with 18's...I would lower the car first. I would normally say get coilovers but I don't know if anyone makes coilovers for the ES...you should be fine with springs...I believe Tein makes some springs...Eibach probably does too and it won't lower the car as much (Eibachs are generally "mild" in terms of drop). The ES uses the same springs as a Camry I believe so Camry springs MIGHT work...(but it may lower the car a bit more than stated as the ES is a little heavier I think)

Now as for the DESIGN of the wheel, I LIKE that style wheel. When AME came out with YEARS ago, it was an instant hit. Unfortuantely, crappy companies like Konig (who make NOTHING but "mediocre" quality knock-offs...they don't have a SINGLE original wheel in their lineup!) knocked the crap off that wheel (nearly every crappy knock-off company has that wheel style)...

If you like the "blade" style (I call it a tapered spoke...tomato, tah-mah-toe, whatever...), there are other wheels out there. Do you want a lip or no? If you don't want a lip and want to retain some ride quality, you can looking into the Mille Miglia Evo 5...this is a wheel with no lip so even in 18", it will look bigger. It too is a cast wheel but I trust Mille to produce a better wheel than Konig. The only thing I don't like about it are rivets are each side of the spoke that severe no function whatsoever...but generally, it's a decent wheel..and cheap ($239 each) 19" wheels will give you a much stiffer/harsher ride than 18's...

Now if it were my ES, I wouldn't have an issue spending more money to get some better wheels but from the sound of it, my guess is that the Evo 5 is more in your perfered price range...

I think a dish wheel like the AutoCouture Supreme BR looks better on the ES...let's face it, the ES isn't a sporty car...I associate spoked wheels with sportier cars (like the IS, GS, SC, etc.) Here's the 2-piece (welded) 18" Magnifique...I would do this wheel on the ES (though retail price is in the mid $2000...but contact Peter@WheelExperts.com and he'll give you a better price...)

Last edited by Manaray; 02-03-03 at 05:40 PM.