Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Beware of HRE Wheel Scams on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 04:47 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of HRE Wheel Scams on Ebay

I know I can't give direct links, but if you search on Ebay for HRE Wheels, you will see at least 2 scams running right now. I reported one earlier this weekend, but it looks to be re-posted, along with several others.

Apparently, the scammers somehow manage to "hijack" someones membership, (almost like identity theft) and are able to give the illusion that they have established feedback with a great rating. If you check the items they have sold in the past, they usually aren't consistent with somone who would be able to get HRE's in "any size, for any car". For example, if you see that someone has sold baseball cards or women's dresses for the past 3mo, and now they have $6K wheels for $2500, you should be very suspicious, especially if they only accept wire transfer.

These guys are also using wheel pics from other auctions as well as HRE logos and fonts to look legit.

Ebay can't keep up with all these scams, so protect do your friends a favor and spread the word!
Old 02-09-03, 05:02 PM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tipoff.... I was watching those black 547s on ebay as I wanted to purchase a set for my 87 Buick Grand National. I thought the prices were too good to be true and an instant red flag popped up when I took a look at the feedback and saw the items the seller had received feedback on. And if you look close at the pics in that auction, you can see exactly where they copied the pics from, an actual legitimate wheel company selling off some excess HRE wheels to the tune of $3500 (more in the REAL price range). Hell they even copied some of the text!

Good Catch!

Gino
Old 02-11-03, 12:33 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd just like to say that HRE has no affiliation with the parties offering this 'great' deal on eBay. HRE will look into this, and we hope to avoid any confusion surrounding this issue.

Regards,
Bob