Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

To Chrome or not to Chrome!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 11:26 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default To Chrome or not to Chrome!!!!

Im getting a set of wheels re chromed, and Im wondering about the lips. I originally thought that you could not chrome the lips, just the face. However the chrome shop said that they could do the lips also and I will not have to worry about it peeling. According to them the chrome will stick to the lips just as good as the face if it is done correctly. Im just wondering if the lips being chromed will be a little too much bling bling. I dont mind the bling bling, I just dont want it to be overkill.

Any thoughts,
Chrome face with polished lips
Chrome face with chromed lips
Old 02-11-03, 03:22 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you hit a pothole with chromed lips, there is a good chance that they will CHIP...that's why most GOOD rim companies do NOT chrome the lips...

Why not just get high polished lips (lotsa shine) with some brushed aluminum centers (also shines somewhat...more than silver" anyways)....it's a classy look and has enough "shine" to accent your car w/o taking over ("I saw the chrome wheels but what kind of car was that?")
Old 02-11-03, 08:05 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Good point about the potholes making the chrome chip! I didnt even think about that when considering what to do. I had chrome faces with polished lips, im now leaning towards the entire wheel being high polished to avoid the problems I had with the chrome the first time around(pitting, etc.).
Old 02-11-03, 09:06 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

high polish has all the shine of chrome w/o all the hassles...
Old 02-12-03, 09:33 PM
1999TL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
high polish has all the shine of chrome w/o all the hassles...
Dude are you kidding me?! High polish is a hassle like a ****. You have to keep on polishing it every 3 or 4 weeks to keep the shine. Granted, if you curb it or something, it's easier to fix...but chrome keeps its shine waaaay easier. Chrome is less hassle in my opinion.
Old 02-12-03, 11:24 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

That's why you get them clearcoated...
Old 02-13-03, 06:07 AM
1999TL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
That's why you get them clearcoated...
Lucky you. You're in Cali. It's advised not to in the south where there is humidity.
Old 02-13-03, 06:38 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I have to agree that chrome is definitely easier to keep clean. Also the clearcoats on high polished actually make it harder to keep up on the rim in some cases. Water spots, etc. can actually get "absorbed" in the clearcoat making it harder to keep them in original condition. If you talk to some of the guys at HRE, thats the reason they dont recommend clearing the lips. Chrome does have its own set of problems all together though, I found that out after not getting mine off of my car before the first snowfall this year, salt is a ***** if you have even the smallest of pits in your chrome wheels!!
Old 02-13-03, 10:39 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Chrome\High Pol fan. I always do a set of winter wheels. I mean in michigan they go and toss semi warm blacktop patch into holes and let the cars drive over it to pack it down.

I see ***** all the time with their chrome wheels on in the winter up here wondering why they have pits. When the warm blacktop hits the wheel, it sticks, then it turns the area yellow and kind of pits it.