Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Quietest Tires on a GS3 Sport
Yokohama AVS dB
23.16%
Bridgestone Potenza S-03
13.68%
Pirelli P Zero
3.16%
Nitto 555 Extreme
4.21%
Michelin Pilot Sport
23.16%
Other
32.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

GS3 Quietest Tire Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 12:32 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Let's see, I've been through Yoko AVS db S1 and S2, P Zero Nero M&S, Dunlop 9000, and Goodyear F1 GS D3. They all start out quiet and they all started really howling in the usual 15 to 20K. My experience was that the AVS db S1 was quieter than the S2 and less prone to cupping but maybe that was just me although the tire dealer said they have more complaints on the S2 than they did with the S1. The Dunlop's were the only ones that developed rapid and non even wear and had to be replaced before they got too noisy but I won't go back to them. This is on both a GS3 and a GS430. My wife's car has Michelin's and I will probably go back although I won't be getting an ultra performance tire. I don't need the handling as much as I am annoyed by the howl. Any notion that Lexus are quiet don't apply to the GS with 10 or 15K on the tires. About the only vehicle I have access to that is louder is an Econoline. Please, if anyone has had a good experience, don't bother posting if you have less than 10K miles on your tires, with over 20K miles on the tires, let us all know. The TireRack customer reviews are useless for this as people only post when the tires are less than six months old. All of them are great in that time frame.
Hey Ron. How goes it? I haven't seen you posting in a while. Hope all is well.

I should probably start a different thread about this, or send you a PM, but I had a question about your suspenion on the GS4. You're running Bilstein HD shocks on stock springs on the wife's car and Bilstein sports on your car, right? About 6 months ago, I replaced my OEM shocks with new OEMs and, although it made a nice difference in the ride quality, it's still ridiculously unstable on the highway. I was thinking of starting a new thread on this in the suspension section. Will you chime in if I do?

e
Old 12-17-06, 01:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Ron. How goes it? I haven't seen you posting in a while. Hope all is well.

I should probably start a different thread about this, or send you a PM, but I had a question about your suspenion on the GS4. You're running Bilstein HD shocks on stock springs on the wife's car and Bilstein sports on your car, right? About 6 months ago, I replaced my OEM shocks with new OEMs and, although it made a nice difference in the ride quality, it's still ridiculously unstable on the highway. I was thinking of starting a new thread on this in the suspension section. Will you chime in if I do?

e
Anything I can help with I would be happy to. You have the setup right and obviously I have the TRD blue sway bars and my wife has the Sportivos. I have about 70K on my car and I think the sports are finally getting broken in. Still a bit stiff, I would go for the HDs if I were doing it again but the 430 tends to like a bit more stiffness than the GS3.

Just too much work and a couple of back operations to spend much time here. Now if we could just figure out a tire that stays quiet through at least 30K miles, that would make life a lot better. I am about ready to throw away the Goodyears with a lot of tread. I hate doing this with tires but the howl is just too much.
Old 12-17-06, 08:26 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Anything I can help with I would be happy to. You have the setup right and obviously I have the TRD blue sway bars and my wife has the Sportivos. I have about 70K on my car and I think the sports are finally getting broken in. Still a bit stiff, I would go for the HDs if I were doing it again but the 430 tends to like a bit more stiffness than the GS3.

Just too much work and a couple of back operations to spend much time here. Now if we could just figure out a tire that stays quiet through at least 30K miles, that would make life a lot better. I am about ready to throw away the Goodyears with a lot of tread. I hate doing this with tires but the howl is just too much.
Thanks Ron. I'll shoot you a PM when I get close to pulling the trigger. Sorry to hear your back is still bugging you. If you're looking for the perfect tire in terms of quiet, comfort and longevity, check out the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z. They're a bit pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have them on my 17s and they literally feel like I'm driving on 16s.
Old 12-18-06, 07:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks Ron. I'll shoot you a PM when I get close to pulling the trigger. Sorry to hear your back is still bugging you. If you're looking for the perfect tire in terms of quiet, comfort and longevity, check out the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z. They're a bit pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have them on my 17s and they literally feel like I'm driving on 16s.
The Bridgestones, not the LS-Z but they were some other Turanza, that came on my MR-2 were the worst hydroplaning tires I have ever had and made me gunshy about Bridgestone's in general but I am about willing to try anything. I'll take a look. I think that most of the noise I hear is from the fronts, as I have 245-50's on the back maybe I'll give these a try on the front. Can't be any worse than anything else I have been through. Thanks.
Old 12-18-06, 07:48 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

The Bridgestones, not the LS-Z but they were some other Turanza, that came on my MR-2 were the worst hydroplaning tires I have ever had and made me gunshy about Bridgestone's in general but I am about willing to try anything. I'll take a look. I think that most of the noise I hear is from the fronts, as I have 245-50's on the back maybe I'll give these a try on the front. Can't be any worse than anything else I have been through. Thanks.
They were probably the EL-42 or something close to that. And that's the problem with Bridgestones -- their reputation precedes them. Whether you're thinking about a bad experience you had with one of their lower tiered tires, or the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco, it's definitely hard to warm up to them. I had a bad experience with the LS-Zs this summer when tread separated on 2 of the 4 tires in the set. They were replaced under warranty, but I attribute their failure to Lexus ineptitude more than anything else. As I mentioned before, I had replaced my worn oem shocks at 80k with brand new ones. At the same time, I replaced the ball joints. Lexus told me that I did not need an alignment. After 5,000 miles, all 4 tires had terrible wear on the inner shoulders and two had separation. Anyway, enough about that. Do a search on Tire Rack and read the reviews on the LS-Zs. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

e
Old 12-19-06, 04:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I will take a look at the LS-Z. I was trying to remember what Bridgestone's were on the MR2 but I am a bit fuzzy. I think they might have been RE-92. I will also have to admit in all honesty that if you plow a MR2 into some standing water at speed you are in for a religious experience regardless of the tires. But I drove that car for 220K miles and I had a chance to compare and the original Bridgestones were the worst of the lot. Of course the fronts don't wear at all on the MR2 while the rears were gone in 12 to 15K miles but I didn't want my wife to discover the delights of little front end weight and rain with the Bridgestones.

In case there are newbies here, tire noise, particularly from high performance tires, is the curse of most cars but the GS is really prone to this annoyance. We have exactly what we have demanded from the tire makers. Tires that last 40K miles (easily) with great handling but develop a deafening roar at around 15K miles wear. Ugh.
Old 12-20-06, 07:55 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I will take a look at the LS-Z.

In case there are newbies here, tire noise, particularly from high performance tires, is the curse of most cars but the GS is really prone to this annoyance. We have exactly what we have demanded from the tire makers. Tires that last 40K miles (easily) with great handling but develop a deafening roar at around 15K miles wear. Ugh.
This is a great point. That being said, I should probably clarify something about the LS-Zs. Even though they are Z-rated tires, they are not in the high performance category. They are classified as grand touring all season. They definitely don't fair as well in the corners as the Pilot Sports or other high performance tires. In fact, they really don't corner well at all. However, if you're willing to sacrifice cornering, I truly believe these are the quietest, most comfortable tires you can buy in the 235/45/17 size.