Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New I-FORGED Wheels for '03!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 01:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bravo - Yeah, in the center of HRE wheels, it dips inward quite a bit...on the iForged wheels, the "dish" isn't nearly as deep...the spokes are little flatter too...I have seen the Senekas in person and I think they look great...did you see a set of recent ones or older ones? I almost changed my order to Senekas, but for technical reasons, I didn't.

I like designs that iForged offers. They have several spoke models, they have a inverse spoke model and they have a mesh. A little something for everyone...the best part? All forged, all multi-piece...
Old 03-06-03, 01:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Here's some photochops that I did using Din's most excellent SC (with a full '97+ conversion and a super clean paint job)...these are scaled to be 20"

With the iForged Technik Wheel

With the iForged 7-Spoke Wheel

Last edited by Manaray; 03-06-03 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-06-03, 02:02 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm...that seven spoke is pretty nice, as is the first image on this thread, the 546-ish one. i didn't like those at first, but saw them on an M3 and have strongly grown on me. but that first image of yours, the spokes are too thick for my tastes. i like an open face, if you know what i mean. the senekas i saw were the newer ones, as they were purchased over the summer i believe.

and you're right, that in the end, they're forged knock-offs or not, at least they did it with quality, and a price to match
Old 03-06-03, 05:05 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Damn that seven spoke looks nice on the SC.

What was the deal IF a while back? With the neg posts about them.
Old 03-06-03, 05:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

JPA, Well what happen with that was with some kids on the VW Vortex form...I guess there was some miscommunications and they blew up like the world was coming to an end....

I have personally met Vince and toured their facilities so I know they're legit....I wouldn't be getting my wheels from them otherwise...

Bravo, really? I kinda like the first SC better...I don't know, I've seen SC's with both open spoke and dish type wheels and I think they BOTH look good on the SC...

I will be getting my wheels today...my car will be in their booth at the car show this weekend at the Los Angeles Convention Center...

If I remember the spec correctly, I should have just a tad over a 3.5" rear lip and 2" front lip (with clearance for the massive AP Racing 6-Piston Brake kit!)...20x8.5" and 20x10"...this time, I decided to be like EVERYONE else and I got them in CHRIZOME...so I should be bling-blinging with all the rats in their '89 Sentras with 16" chrome-something-er-others...kewl, eh?

I also changed my inital tire choice...I was going to go with the S-03's but I decided to go with the Toyo Proxes T1-S...after reading many reviews, the T1-S's were rated better in every respect...of course, the T1-S cost a little more...but not much more

I'll post some pictures from the show....
Old 03-06-03, 06:02 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Since some people agree these are HRE “like” in terms of style and build. Aside from price and design is there any other plus’s to going with IF? Better finishes, quality, time to build etc…?

And you went with chrome? I love chrome, but figured the day you bought chrome wheels would be the day people stop putting 3 tier wings on civics, and I seen a few of those today J
Old 03-06-03, 08:29 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. I don't know what to say... best of luck, Mike.
Old 03-06-03, 09:09 AM
Wheel Experts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn mike, you got CHRIZZOME? the world must be coming to an end.

i guess you let the cat out of the bag a tad early, eh homie?
Old 03-06-03, 09:35 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Even if iForged wheels were the same exact quality as HRE, which I doubt, they are still a knockoff. Taking identical wheel designs from an established company and placing a logo on them that is very similar to HRE is something only a knockoff company does. They basically took HRE wheel desings and added a few spokes to make a difference. No wonder their wheels cost less than HREs, they didnt have to spend any $$$$$ to develop designs for them.
Old 03-06-03, 11:07 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray going CHROME???
The world must be comming to an end, LOL.
Old 03-06-03, 12:41 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

wow, chrome. 20" of it, at that. i would never do chrome because it would draw too much attention to me and i'd feel weird, but a very clean wheel does look good in chrome. so we'll see which wheel you chose.

and you got a 2" front lip with brake clearance? share the specs on those wheels while you're at it!!

JPA, i also heard/read those things about Iforged, but objectively, most of those comments were about problems with a distributor i think. but i'm not sure
Old 03-06-03, 01:35 PM
mr who
Lead Lap

Manaray, you went chrome?? This is like the bizarro clublexus
Old 03-06-03, 01:54 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

"JPA, I also heard/read those things about Iforged, but objectively, most of those comments were about problems with a distributor I think. but i'm not sure"

I guess that is kind of cleared up now. I don't recall the issue....

"840R series is just a little too much money."

Ouch just looked. Looking at $1750-2000 per wheel in 20" Maybe a tad bit much.

540 series vs. IF I guess there isn't to much of a price difference. I know the HRE has it's list price but that's not exactly what people pay. Figuring $600-800 less for a set of IF? Not a big difference but it all depends on the wheel you like I guess. The 840's are out of control though. Awesome wheels, but I still prefer the look of the bolts.
Old 03-06-03, 02:11 PM
jeffandi
Driver

Holly bling-bling!!!!

if (Manaray == CHROME && Manary != HRE){

Bizzaro_world = TRUE;

}

the software nerds will get a kick out of this.

Jeff
Old 03-06-03, 03:21 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hehehehhehee....JUST KIDDING FOLKS!!! I DID NOT GET CHROME!! Damn, I thought SOMEONE would figure out that I was just BSin'....come on, you guys couldn't figure it out from my statement "I decided to be like EVERYONE else" Heheheh....

They don't even offer chrome as a normal finish...but I'm sure you can get it custom dipped...

The finish I picked was the brushed aluminum finish centers...with high polished lips to give it that little accent... Considered doing graphite and I still might on my SC....

JPA, well the quality is the same as HRE and the delivery times are shorter. The biggest difference is the price. As you guys all know, I don't base my purchases on price. I base it on quality..then think about the price...just in this case, I don't need to think about the price...

Bob, email me and let me know you thoughts...

Peter - Yeah, well I figured I'm getting the wheels TODAY so I figured letting it out a little early wouldn't hurt...

RNM GS3 - Well I can tell you this, the forgings are from the same vendor as HRE, the facility has more CNC machines than HRE (2x as many if I counted correctly), the company that MAKES the wheels (Intro) has been around for longer than HRE and they make wheels for a LOT of companies. The finishers they use are the same as HRE. The bolts they use in the 3-piece wheels are of the same quality (probably the same vendor, I'm not sure)...you have to understand, when it comes to forgings and ACQ parts, there aren't a LOT of different sources out there.

As for the design of the wheels, you're compareing only a couple of the wheels they have to HRE's. Have you seen tem ALL in person? They have other wheel designs that HRE does NOT offer. As for the other ones, they are not knock-offs. You can't compare a 6-spoke wheel to a 7-spoke wheel. They're not the same Compare apples to apples...look at iForge's 5 spoke and look at HRE's 545 and 845 you can easily tell them apart. HRE doesn't make a inverse spoke design. Their split 5-spoke is also very different. The Mesh wheel is not the same (but then again, nearly all mesh wheels look the same...do you think HRE knocked-off BBS then?) I suppose the Kinesis K59 and K19's are knock-offs of the 545 and 543's too?

If you want get TECHNICAL, the entire 840R series would be essentially a knock-off of the Fikse wheels since Fikse has been doing hidden hardware LONG before HRE...the 840R would be a knock-off of the FM/10 or Profil 10, the 843R would be a knock-off of the Aro or the Mach V or Profil 13...

But I don't consider the HRE's to be knock-offs of Fikse just like I don't think the iForges are knock-offs of HRE's...man, you're talking to the all time biggest knock-off HATER...ME! Honestly, do you think I would go from HRE to iForged if I thought they weren't worthy? It's not like I can't afford HRE's...I have some, remember?

As for the centercap, like I said, they are big in a certain market, and in that market, that type of emblem is "standard". Like I said, I would have personally done a more "Japanese look" but that's me...I don't run iForged...

Quick Reply: New I-FORGED Wheels for '03!