Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New I-FORGED Wheels for '03!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 03:23 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bravo, I will post up the specs on my wheels...these are specs that iForged will be using for future orders on GS wheels....

2" and 3.5"...I was trying to squeeze a 4" but I would need to do some fender mods...
Old 03-06-03, 03:37 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah, you did get brushed aluminum. i went to their site today and say that finish, and was wondering why you'd go chrome instead of a nice brushed look with polished lips.

at least chrome would've been better than gunmetal. that's too jdm for me, especially on a black car
Old 03-06-03, 03:56 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manaray
[B]To let the cat out of the bag, iForged are the new wheels that are going on my GS...my SC will also be getting some iForged wheels...

See I didnt tell anyone.
Old 03-06-03, 04:30 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

pvmike - which Dazz wheel are you talking about?
Manaray,

I don't have a pic of the wheel. I saw it in an ad for Sprewell. Guess that's how old school I am, I'm still calling Sprewell Dazz...

Anyhow, I like the look of the 3rd wheel. Also reminds me of some old Dronells (like on RI-GS4's car). In between a dish/spoke rim.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=RIgs4

btw, I knew you were joking about the chrome. Didn't think you'd go against what you've said in about 2,000 other posts.

Last edited by pvmike1; 03-06-03 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-06-03, 04:33 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yikes, this is getting a bit out of hand... A few thoughts::

"JPA, well the quality is the same as HRE and the delivery times are shorter"
----Delivery: I'm not so sure about this.
----Quality: HRE is still THE BENCHMARK by which all three-piece wheels are being judged.
----Aesthetic beauty is subjective, of course, but the quality of our wheel, from the design and engineering, to the fitments, to the machining, to the finish is unsurpassed.
BTW, our brushed and polished finishes are done in-house...

"the company that MAKES the wheels (Intro) has been around for longer than HRE and they make wheels for a LOT of companies"
----Kudos to them. I don't know much about "Intro", but HRE has been around since 1981. We do make private-label wheels for several people, but our main focus is making wheels for HRE.

"If you want get TECHNICAL, the entire 840R series would be essentially a knock-off of the Fikse wheels since Fikse has been doing hidden hardware LONG before HRE...the 840R would be a knock-off of the FM/10 or Profil 10, the 843R would be a knock-off of the Aro or the Mach V or Profil 13..."
----Can you honestly tell me there are ANY wheels on the market that look remotely like the 840R series? To be sure there are plenty of 5-spoke wheels out there, but are they available in 18x7.5 AND 20x13?
You saw our SEMA Aston Martin Vanquish... tell me that car didn't knock your socks off!
Seriously, HRE has been making hidden-hardware wheels for five years, our private-label customers include (to name a few) Mallett Motorcars, Lingenfelter, and Saleen (an inexpensive runabout called the S7, maybe you've heard of it?).

"It's not like I can't afford HRE's"
----I'm not going to make any judgement on this one...

"As for the centercap, like I said, they are big in a certain market, and in that market, that type of emblem is "standard".
---- Like they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 03-06-03 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-06-03, 05:35 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob, you know I think very highly of HRE. I'm not putting HRE down, I'm just letting people know about iForged and since people are comparing them to HRE, I am just giving them info that I know.

Timeframe -My wheels took only 2 weeks to deliver from iForged. Granted, that doesn't mean everyone will get their wheels in 2 weeks, but if I rememer correctly, it took me over 8 weeks to my HRE's.

Quality - iForged is using the same source for forgings and probably the same source for the lips. The hardware is all ACQ...the CNC machines are the same. The wheels are tested just like HRE's. You can't deny the fact that the quality is there. I have personally seen their wheels in various finishes in person so I can vouch for the finish quality. Let's just leave it at that.

Establishment and private labels - I just wanted people to know that these guys are not "noobs". As for private label, I just mentioned that because as you know, companies that do private label have a slightly wider range of experience since they don't just focus on one type of car or type of wheel. I know you guys have that under your belt also. As for hidden hardware, that may be the case but until the 840R, they have not been available or even shown to the public. Fikse has done this style all along...again, I'm not saying that HRE copied Fiske, I'm just making a point....

Centercaps - again, like I said, if it were me, I would have done a Japanese (more like Weds) style cap...but hey, it's just a acid etch...I can have my own custom ones made.

Price - You have to admit, if you can get truly the same quality and you like the style (be it different or similar), price becomes a determining factor for MOST people. When I say price, I mean on a consumer level...

Vanquish - Yes, the new 840R series is great looking. No doubt about that. I never said any HRE wheel wasn't great looking....but iForged also makes great looking wheels. That's all I'm saying...

I still believe that HRE makes some of the best wheels out there. But there are other companies that make high quality 3-piece wheels. Work, Rays, iForged, Fikse, Kinesis, etc.,etc...

If you want my honest opinion, I think the new Rays/Volk wheel is the PINNACLE or "Top Dog" of the multi-piece wheel market. FORGED MAGNESIUM with FORGED LIPS. NO ONE else makes that. If they offered in 20", I would be all over it. THAT is the benchmark as far as I'm concerned...
Old 03-06-03, 09:49 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hey I like those rims.. I saw a set on a VW GTI here in my town.. They look really nice.. Manaray, I'll take a set of 18's or 19's.... Where do I signup??
Old 03-07-03, 08:06 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

"I'm just letting people know about iForged and since people are comparing them to HRE, I am just giving them info that I know."

--- my point exactly. HRE= Benchmark.

"Timeframe -My wheels took only 2 weeks to deliver from iForged. Granted, that doesn't mean everyone will get their wheels in 2 weeks, but if I rememer correctly, it took me over 8 weeks to my HRE's."

--- As a current HRE wheel owner, you were undoubtedly given some special treatment. HRE's current turn around time is 3 weeks. A lot has changed here in teo years (since you bought your 543s).

"Quality - iForged is using the same source for forgings and probably the same source for the lips. The hardware is all ACQ...the CNC machines are the same. The wheels are tested just like HRE's. You can't deny the fact that the quality is there. I have personally seen their wheels in various finishes in person so I can vouch for the finish quality. Let's just leave it at that"

--- Actually, not all of the rims come from the same source. There are a number of HRE-specific rim pieces that are not available to our competitors. And, based on the iForged wheel profile, I can say there is no way their wheels can match ours in cornering and radial load testing. HRE's are a bit 'overbuilt,' to sat the least...

"As for hidden hardware, that may be the case but until the 840R, they have not been available or even shown to the public. Fikse has done this style all along...again, I'm not saying that HRE copied Fiske, I'm just making a point...."

--- Point taken, but HRE has made significant design improvements to perfect the manufacturing of 'hidden-hardare' wheels. Unlike some wheel manufacturers in the marketplace, we do not weld our rim-halves (causes the aluminum to become brittle, and, typically, somewhat out-of-round), nor to we thread the assembly bolts into 'raw' drilled & tapped aluminum.
We have done exhaustive testing to ensure our 840R and Saleen S7 wheels do not have 'assembly bolt pullout.' Also. relief holes are drilled between the assembly holes, to reduce reciprocating mass. The 840R series is truly a no-compromise wheel design- you should see one BEFORE it is assembled: even the backpad pocketing is insane looking!

"Centercaps - again, like I said, if it were me, I would have done a Japanese (more like Weds) style cap...but hey, it's just a acid etch...I can have my own custom ones made. "

--- I can give you the number to a good 'etcher' if you plan on doing aluminum caps. You might need to use an aluminum cap for rear axle clearance (3.5" lip)- I dunno fro sure about this, iForged can probaly tell you.

"Price - You have to admit, if you can get truly the same quality and you like the style (be it different or similar), price becomes a determining factor for MOST people. When I say price, I mean on a consumer level..."

--- It's true, most of our customers are the Kobe Bryant/Dave Mirra/Ray Liotta/JimCarrey/Denzel Washington (etc.) type. However, HRE has a VERY loyal customer/distributor base. "Consumer Level" - nice, Mike! (wink, wink!)

"I still believe that HRE makes some of the best wheels out there. But there are other companies that make high quality 3-piece wheels. Work, Rays, iForged, Fikse, Kinesis, etc.,etc."

--- You're absolutely right. And we know our competition is tough- this drives us to continually innovate and improve our company and our product.

"If you want my honest opinion, I think the new Rays/Volk wheel is the PINNACLE or "Top Dog" of the multi-piece wheel market. FORGED MAGNESIUM with FORGED LIPS. NO ONE else makes that. If they offered in 20", I would be all over it. THAT is the benchmark as far as I'm concerned..."

--- That's exactly my point about aluminum component wheels- would you really run a magnesium wheel on the street? I wouldn't recommend it. Magnesium wheels are for RACING. By natere, Magnesium is more brittle than aluminum. Encounters with potholes can cause cracking- and a potentially catastrophic loss of air pressure. Not good. That's why they aren't available in 20". I would say Forged Titanium would be a better solution- this has been done ($5K per wheel in 17x8).

Bottom line, it's a free country: the USA is all about choices. At the end of the day, I probably won't 'win' this argument with you, but you won't convince me there is a wheel manufacturer in the world that operates with more integrity, pride, and dedication than HRE. It's the people that make the difference. I've been here over four years, and I am not going anywhere... it's just starting to get exciting!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 03-07-03 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-07-03, 08:38 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Knock-offs.

Cool thread.

I'm going to have to say that I think your definition of "knock-off" is a little skewed Mike.

IMHO a knockoff is any wheel that the average person couldn't tell a difference. And the knockoff is the latter release of the two. There are a ton of car enthusiasts who couldn't tell an iforged wheel from an HRE...let alone Joe Scmoe

Just admit you got knockoffs man...I mean heck...we all like em.

R

Did you get some "sponsorship" out of the deal?
Old 03-07-03, 09:13 AM
Cerberus
Driver

Someone just needs to take their ball and go home....
Old 03-07-03, 09:13 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default knockoffs

Those are indeed knock-offs. I'm gonna be a little annoyed if they do a knock off of the 448 as well.
Old 03-07-03, 09:27 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Turning into a good thread.

It is like a train wreck, you know it may get messy but you have to look.

OR

It is like a Bit vs. lex400sc thread, you KNOW it will get messy, yet informational.
Old 03-07-03, 10:51 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default right

>>Someone just needs to take their ball and go home....<<

You're right. Go home and don't forget your ball.
Old 03-07-03, 01:05 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Cerberus
Someone just needs to take their ball and go home....
Where was that directed?
Old 03-07-03, 01:28 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jpa2400

It is like a Bit vs. lex400sc thread, you KNOW it will get messy, yet informational.
was there a factual duel or something? link! link!!

Quick Reply: New I-FORGED Wheels for '03!