Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wanted: Quiet Tire For Ls430

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 06:59 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: Quiet Tire For Ls430

GENTLEMEN;
I have an 03 LS 430. It is very quiet, a little wind noise around "A" pillars, but the big problem is tire noise. The car came equipped with Dunlop All-Season tires and I find them very noisy on dry pavement. What I am looking for is a quiet "summer" tire. I live in Alabama and fortunately haven't seen snow in 20 years.
So I am seeking any recommendations for a quiet summer tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
Old 03-11-03, 07:49 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Smile

I have the same car as u do, with Dunlop 270SP..........but if you change to "summer" tire, you might end up with more tire noise because of the aggressive tread design most "summer tire uses. Have you consider High Performance - All Season?

I've tried Michelin MXV4 Plus on my other cars, not bad, doesn't last very long though.
Pirelli P6 All Season.

Just my 2cents, hope it helps.
Old 03-11-03, 08:10 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron,

I know your looking for a "quiet summer tire" only but this might be of some help to you.
It relates to all seasonal tires though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75138

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 03-11-03 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 12:41 AM
pongydoo
Driver

I would go for Yokohama AVS dB S2, they are Ultra High Performance All-Season with WR Speed Rated. For 225/60-16, they go for $96 at the tirerack.com

I had this tire on my 01 VW Passat (all stock) while I have done some autocrosses and some track days with those tires, they are great. The car doesn't understeer as much as the old Continential and doesn't make as much noise. And as far as the quietness concern. I drove the car from Portland, OR to LA last year and the tires are especially quiet on both freeway and city. In both wet and dry, the tire perform very well. The quietness are very impressive in both wet and dry pavement.

This is the tire I would recommend, for the price and the performance.
Old 03-13-03, 06:43 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default THANKS FOR INPUT

Gents;
Thanks to all for your input on tires I am seeking. Haven't decided on which tire I will select. However I will investigate all of your recommendations and then seek your opinions on the final 2 or 3 I select.
Thanks again guys. This site is great for the cooperation and information from all members.
Ron
Old 03-18-03, 09:28 PM
kobiashi
Driver School Candidate

Tirerack

One of the cool things about tirerack.com is that they also have Survey Results that tell you all kinds of things about the tires in real world settings...one of those being "Noise Comfort"
When you do a search for tires for your car, click on the name of the tire you are interested in and you get a page like this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

This page is for the Potenza S-03 Pole Position (17") for our LS 430's (notice it got a noise comfort of 8.1, which is pretty good.

Check it out.

k]

Last edited by kobiashi; 03-18-03 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 05:10 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Results?

ron36330,
I am about to purchase a set of 17" tires for my LS430. What tire did you buy and are you happy with them?

I've read thru several forums and found that the following tires are most-liked by ClubLexus members...

Toyo Proxies TPT
Yokahama Avid H4S
Yokahama AVS db S2
Michellin Pilot Sport A/S
Michellin MXV4

Your thoughts?
Old 02-03-05, 11:40 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ron36330
GENTLEMEN;
I have an 03 LS 430. It is very quiet, a little wind noise around "A" pillars, but the big problem is tire noise. The car came equipped with Dunlop All-Season tires and I find them very noisy on dry pavement. What I am looking for is a quiet "summer" tire. I live in Alabama and fortunately haven't seen snow in 20 years.
So I am seeking any recommendations for a quiet summer tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
ron,

I agree with some of the other comments......I would respectfully suggest that you go with a long mileage all season tire as opposed to a set of summer rubber if 'quiet' is high on your list......most summer rubber sacrifices quietness for higher performance. All seasons are much better also for long mileage & wear.

Having said that, you also never mentioned if you have the 225 55 17 or 225 60 16 size on your LS.

The tires I would suggest for what your looking fr in each size are:

- 225 55 17: Yokohama Avid H4S

Falken Ziex ZE-512

Toyo Proxes TPT

Unfortunately, the Falken's & Toyo's are not offered on the tirerack website. If your looking for reviews, check out www.tiretrends.com I would be leaning towards the Falken's first & second the Yoko's & Toyo's. The Falken's came in first overall in a recent consumer reports testing of 20 all season performance tires & it should have a 60,000 mile warranty. My wife has them on her car & has had them for 6 months now & is still praising how good they have been in heavy rain, snow & icy conditions......very quiet ride & a Japanese tire to boot! with a V speed rating www.falkentire.com

- 225 60 16: The same 3 as above....except you can get the Falken in either an H or V speed rating (the lower speed rating might give you an ever so slightly softer ride). In addition to that, the only other tire I would suggest in this size is the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads www.goodyearassurance.com This tire has weather capabilities in pretty much ANY weather conditions.....is ultra quiet (My Dad just purchased a set for his car a month ago) & will be the quietest tire in either size due to it's rubber compounds. Here is another write up about this tire:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/041201.htm

I hope this helps & let us know what you decided......Good luck!
Old 02-04-05, 12:29 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
ron,

I agree with some of the other comments......I would respectfully suggest that you go with a long mileage all season tire as opposed to a set of summer rubber if 'quiet' is high on your list......most summer rubber sacrifices quietness for higher performance. All seasons are much better also for long mileage & wear.

Having said that, you also never mentioned if you have the 225 55 17 or 225 60 16 size on your LS.

The tires I would suggest for what your looking fr in each size are:

- 225 55 17: Yokohama Avid H4S

Falken Ziex ZE-512

Toyo Proxes TPT

Unfortunately, the Falken's & Toyo's are not offered on the tirerack website. If your looking for reviews, check out www.tiretrends.com I would be leaning towards the Falken's first & second the Yoko's & Toyo's. The Falken's came in first overall in a recent consumer reports testing of 20 all season performance tires & it should have a 60,000 mile warranty. My wife has them on her car & has had them for 6 months now & is still praising how good they have been in heavy rain, snow & icy conditions......very quiet ride & a Japanese tire to boot! with a V speed rating www.falkentire.com

- 225 60 16: The same 3 as above....except you can get the Falken in either an H or V speed rating (the lower speed rating might give you an ever so slightly softer ride). In addition to that, the only other tire I would suggest in this size is the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads www.goodyearassurance.com This tire has weather capabilities in pretty much ANY weather conditions.....is ultra quiet (My Dad just purchased a set for his car a month ago) & will be the quietest tire in either size due to it's rubber compounds. Here is another write up about this tire:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/041201.htm

I hope this helps & let us know what you decided......Good luck!

I think you should address your reply to "DD" since Ron's post is from two years ago, I'm sure he bought tires already.
Or perhaps it's time for another set for Ron by now.

Just busting your chops LF.
Old 02-04-05, 01:03 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SharpLS-96

Just busting your chops LF.
Woops! lmao......thanks for keeping me on my toes Sharp!
Old 02-04-05, 09:21 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Thanks for the information

I appreciate the information, however, since I am not in the snowbelt, I wondering if your recomendations are baised toward an all-season tire that performs well particulary in the snow.

I'm leaning more toward wet/rain and handling performance. Long-term wear time of 30k miles or more is acceptable. I usually sell my cars by this time anyway.

I looked at tires.com and tirerack.com last night and found that the pricing is very high compared to my RX300 stock tires. More than 2x the price for my 17s on the LS. So, I'm looking for a sub$140 tire. Yes, price is an issue also.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I figured RON could enlighten us as to what he found. Guess he is long gone???
Old 02-05-05, 11:08 PM
YJC88
Driver

Try Bridgestone LS-Z.
I changed mine the 3rd week i had them stock to them.
They are quiet and outperforms the OEM in wet~~!!
Old 02-07-05, 03:54 AM
sp85800
Driver School Candidate

Default Quiet tires for 2004 LS430 Ultra

Hello CL members, I will be picking up a 2004 LS430 Ultra with air suspension this week. I was hoping that you good suggest an excellent all season tire. I was thinking of going with 18's or 19's in a staggered fitment on of 9fr / 10rr''. I am not interested in low profile tires, since I don't want to give up the comfortable ride. Also this car will be drive in the snow from time to time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-05, 11:31 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be easier to help you guys if you started new threads rather then attaching your seperate questions, to a 2 year old thread. I think it would be better for the forum too, easier to organize when people are doing a search and easier to see for people looking at the forum who may be able to help.

PS. In general for an LS most like the Turanza line, the Pirelli P Zero Nero, or the Michelin PS A/S.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 02-07-05 at 11:37 AM.