Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What do you guys think of these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 04:53 PM
elvingomez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for the back up dgot20s... points well said, and hopefully well taken by others
Old 03-21-03, 11:07 PM
Rover
Pole Position

Default Can't we all just get along.

Gentlemen, gentlemen,
I've been gone for a couple of days and then I come back to this.
I'm really kind of caught in the middle here. I agree with both view
points.

CHMPNGS and DGOT20s,
Guys, Manaray has a point. In order for the car to stand out a person
does not need to spend a million dollars on it. Also, he did say this,
"not saying that you're ghetto, I don't know you!" As far as him being
harsh, that is just the way he is. He tells his mind straight to you, and
I think that is one of the great character qualities.

Manaray,
CHMPNGS and DGOT20s have a good point as well. Why buy the wheels
that don't improve the look of your car and don't really make YOU happy? I myself,
just like the guys, love the look of a chrome wheel and how the light gets caught
in the wheel and sparkles when you are driving.

Guys, if you really look at it, all of you talk about the same thing. Manaray said,
"shop based on what you want on the car" and DGOT20s said, "If you like the wheels,
BUY THE WHEELS!!" All of you make fun of people, who buy stuff to fit in or to show
off. We all talk about the same thing.

Look, bottom line is do whatever rocks your boat, but all of us have got to get along.
We come here for opinions and advise, so we get opinions. Sometimes it's not what
we want to hear or sometimes it is presented in an offensive way. So??? Somebody
is just speaking out his/hers mind, take it or leave it.
It's our website, our club and it's just a hand full of us, who love the cars. And we are
the same hand full of people who need each other for advise and support. So don't you
go "nuts" on me and start fighting with each other.

Now with all that said I'm gonna go and get myself some 24' chrome wheels with 8' lip.
Old 03-22-03, 03:52 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those wheels look good Forget what others think who oppose you... it's your money!! People on this board go off and spend top dollar for a Lexus then say they don't want to attract attention. WTF. Or they put polished wheels with big lips by top brands like Lowenhart or HRE etc. that cost many dollars and do attract a lot of attention by people who can recognize the brand. Well most of those same manufacturers make wheels in chrome. You may call it setting a trend, when it also may be considered as living in the past, or even being closed minded. The world is made of different people with different tastes. And just because some make think they are so sophisticated, and have so much money that doesn't give them the right to belittle others or call them ghetto. I call that hating. Those ghetto people have just as much money as you do (many of them) with not only one or two cars with wheels, stereo etc. but more like three to five with the wardrobe, jewelry, homes and disposable cash flow to match.

Case in point, if you don't like it don't buy it. But please don't be a closet biggot or racist (for all those who are offended this applies to YOU! )
Old 03-22-03, 04:43 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Everyone has a diffrent taste in style they want for their Lexus. Get what you feel is good for your car. I have noticed some folks on here buy because others think something is cool. So what if others hate something or another. If i worried about what others think my car would not be VIP......... 4-5 years ago those out side japan hated it now some like the style. Thank god I didnt wait 5 years to get what I wanted.

Also many things also look good in pictures or mags and when you get it its not always what you thought you would get. lucky for me I can see and feel the product before I buy for my self.

If you get your these rims enjoy them
Old 03-24-03, 06:10 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

i dont know you guys, it's like everytime MANARAY has something to say, it always comes to this.
like one guy said, it's just the way his character is but he does not recognize that his opinions or
statements might be kind of harsh for some people. i, myself, got upset when i showed pics of my painted calipers (this was before). i was experimenting and i really thought it wud look nice with this color and that color, but his statements/opinion were, i think, i little harsh but i didn't really care. i mean, you can care less what others might say about yr ride, but sometimes, if you do take their advice, something good comes out..... MANARAY, though, have some good points.
Old 03-25-03, 06:49 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DGOT20s
How many idiots have you heard refer to their rims as 20s, when you ask them for the brand name?? You say, "hey man, what kind of wheels are those?", and he says, "Dubs, dogg!!". I was at the shop having my TVs installed last wknd...
Okay, one of my pet peeves are people saying they are having TVs installed...it is just as goofy as referring to 20s as "Dubs." You were having video monitors installed. The TV tuner is separate and usually doesn't come with the monitor. Just because you have monitors doesn't mean you can drive down the street "watching TV."

You're points were well made, however.

Guys, here is the bottom line. Ask opinion, ask all day long, get (hopefully) honest answers and make an informed decision yourself. Manaray has a way of making his points and whether he is "right" or "wrong" he gives his opinions full-tilt. I like that, you know exactly where you stand with him. But, he isn't buying anything for you.

My personal opinion, at this point is completely mute since you have decided against them.

DO WHAT YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-03, 11:40 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, opinions are opinions, but chmpn did specifically ask for them.

here's my take...i think the first generation looks best with 19", and a lip. manaray did make the right point about it looking goofy if its 20" without lip. like some of those trucks at shows...a little too much. 18" or 19" can work without a lip, but 20"s gotta have it.

otherwise, i also gotta vote against either of those. i'd rather go with a knock-off to at least get the right look at a very low price
Old 03-26-03, 12:51 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default AHHAHA

I see this is still getting threads, I am not getting them I though they looked good in the pic but I do not like them on my car, right now my 17in 2nd generation wheels look good enough for me.

but as far as opinions and all that, I did ask for them but if you all read all my threads I agree with most of everybody in the thread even Manaray, I just did not ask for him to let out his thoughts and feelings about ghetto a$$es and people with wheels worth more than their cars, just because I like chrome wheels. Obviously if we all here didn't like nice,classy and flashy things in life we probably wouldn't be driving Lexus'.
Old 03-26-03, 10:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not all about chrome folks...I'm NOT saying every single chrome wheel is ghetto, but nearly every ghetto wheel is in chrome. Do you understand the difference?

Also, sport and chrome don't go together. You don't see too many racers putting on chrome wheels...

Dgot20's - Stereotypes? Who am I talking about exactly? Now a days, people of all colors/races talk like that. White, Black, Mexican, Asian, Pink, Yellow, Purple, Mauve, Pantone 311C, etc...

As for assuming, well if you saw me driving down your hood, you'd probably think I'm some sort of gang banger or drug dealer too...so you can get off this "racist/stereotyping" tip...

I also agree with your statements about "Dubs", "TV's", etc...but just like you think those guys are idiots for the way they talk about stuff, I think people that buy crappy rims and talk about them aren't the "sharpest knife in the drawer" regardless of race, color, religion, or their favorite fast food joint...I have yet to meet someone who owns crappy wheels that really knows anything about wheels.

007 - It would come down to the "type" of attention and "type" of people you would get. The type of people that are impressed by low end chrome wheels is not usually the same type of people that would be impressed by a set of HRE's. Also, the TYPE of impression is different. With low end chrome wheels, the type of people that are impressed by those are usually people that don't know jack about wheels and all they care about is that it's chrome They are only impressed because it's chrome and 20". People who can recognized a brand like HRE know that it's about QUALITY. HRE's don't attract the same TYPE of attention nor do they attract the same TYPE of people. THAT is the difference.

As for "those" ghetto people, who are you talking about specifically? You mean people who have a ghetto mentality but make money (like most rappers)? Or are you talking about the ghetto type people that run every scam in the book and sell drugs and defraud the system to get money?

As for getting attention just because it's a "Lexus", well I don't know about in your area, but in my area, Lexus cars are VERY COMMON. There will be about 3 or 4 at every decent intersection...sure, my car gets attention, but not my every uniformed jackass on the road. People who mod their cars to get THAT brand of attention are strictly doing it FOR the attention. I do my mods based on what I want and not impress others....I know other people say the same thing but then they talk about impressing the "honeys"...who gives a crap? If you need a certain car and chrome wheels to get a "honey", you need to look at the quality of the "honey" and how you fit into the picture....(meaning any TOOL with the same car and wheels would have gotten her attention...yeah, that's impressive!)

CHMPNGS - I go into the whole "ghetto" thing because I want people to understand WHY I am giving the opinion that I am...not just a blind "Chrome sucks"...I don't think chrome sucks in all cases...but like I said, crappy/ghetto wheels always seem to come in chrome.

But like I always say, in the end, it is YOUR money and YOUR car, you can do what you wish. But when people ask for opinions, expect it. I just think the whole "bling bling" fad is lame.

Also, the fact of the matter is, most people don't know enough about design (form/function/proportions/history/etc.) to have a real opinion about it. Yeah, sure, that sounds kind of "snobbish" to say that but let's face it, in every field, it's the same way...like when most people talk about how "great" their sound system sounds...most people don't know enough about sound quality (like what to listen for and the right type of music to try on a system to really push it to the limits) to say what is "good" sound.

Sure, you can have you opinion on this and that but what kind of experience, knowledge, education, etc., do you have to back up your opinion? What is your basis for coming to that conclusion? "Taste", for the most part, is something that is learned. If you grew up only eating McDonalds, you would think the Big Mac is the end all and be all of food. Things like Lobster probably wouldn't interest you (might even frighten you). However, if you have actually EXPERIENCED everything from McDonalds to "couture" cuisine, they you actually have some basis for forming an opinion on foods. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Manaray; 03-26-03 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 12:53 AM
Lead Lap

It's all good
Old 03-27-03, 01:15 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A Lexus with a set of NOT SO GOOD LOOKING chrome wheels(so what they are 20's, who cares) does catch everyone's attention BUT not all of them are thinking "That's a nice Lex and DUBs." Some of them might think "Man....The owner of this Lex should've taken Custom Wheel 101 before he bought those wheels." Some chrome wheels are very nice, you can't go wrong with a set of CHROME HRE or Brabus.....I believe no one here in CL nor people on the street will say Manaray's GS looks UGLY......Why's that????
Old 03-27-03, 01:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Manaray, like I have said before, you always have good advice, its just the presentation that rubs people the wrong way! If you look at you 1st or 2nd post, and then the last one, there is a difference! Although you said the same thing in both posts, in the latter, you explained your perspective, and to be totally honest, I AGREE WITH YOU (thats scary huh!). I happen to be a guys with ghetto rims that can identify and appreciate the quality stuff, (HRE, FISKE, ETC). I also hate guys who buy the items, just to "floss"! You make some good points
Old 03-28-03, 02:18 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default This is great!

I agree with D also, he does make points but too da%n many that have not much to do with the subject, he seems to go off onto crazy tangents about his thoughts and views about the people in this country and their actions. Hes answering my "Obviously if we all here didn't like nice,classy and flashy things in life we probably wouldn't be driving Lexus'." with Lexus' are common around my area, like the cars we drive do not have any type of status symbol, (not that thats what it means too me it is just a well made car.) but I guess I don't live in a rich upper class area so I can not share all the same views. I just think he has a lot on his mind to let out and every time he sees a chance to tell his views he sure does let it all out, and goes on and on. No hard feelings or anything, we all have a great love for cars, its just simple statements can be answered with simple answers such as mine but god use the energy in some other way.
Old 03-29-03, 01:31 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yeah I agree somewhat

[Edited]

Last edited by Manaray; 03-29-03 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-29-03, 02:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DGOT20's - Well I think some people just take it the wrong way...there is always at least TWO different ways to "read" the same sentence. Like I've stated before, due to the lack of visable body language and inflection in one's voice, it's hard to determine "how" they mean to say a statement (not to mention the lack of actually KNOWING the person, what they've seen in the life, what they've been through). Guess that's why I need to explain myself some times...

As for "flossers" (or poseurs), yeah, in LA, there are quite a few...you see these guys at clubs and whatnot and dress and act like they're some sort of drug lord or a John Gotti....hehehehe...quite funny sometime...you just want to slap them into reality....the funniest part is when they wear fake "designer" suits and/or fake watches (always seems to be Rolexes...guess it's just the most 'obvious' brand) and they think they're just SO damn pimp! Hehehhe...kinda like Ricers who think their car is quick because they have fake sponsorship stickers on their car...

Getting back to wheels...why not do a nice 6/7 spoke wheel...like this....
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think of these?-jzs147.jpg  

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of these?