Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Cost Prohibitive To Repair vs. New?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-03, 08:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Cost Prohibitive To Repair vs. New?

I had planned on fixing a couple wheels, dropping them off at a Hart authorized distributor tomorrow actually. They were to ship them back to DAZZ/HART for repair.

A couple days ago, the distributor / shop called his rep at Hart. He told me, that they told him, that they can't do lip replacement on the BR5s (anymore).

??????

I said, are you sure? Are you sure you told him the correct wheel model? Is it because they don't amnufacture enough lips by themselves any loger? What's the story? he said he would call back and find out. Seemed a little confused.

So I call back just a bit ago, since I hadn't heard anything, and planned on dropping off the wheels tomorrow morning.

My contact tells me a song and dance story about how it would cost more to fix based on all teh labor involved with pulling apart the wheel, breaking the "seal", resealing it, pressure testing it, etc., etc.

Sounds reasonable, but I wanted some feedback here first, before I pull the trigger on a new set.

1.) Sound true?
2.) If not, who can officially repair / replace lips on Lowenharts?

If I can't, it gives me a good reason for a new set.
Old 03-28-03, 08:23 AM
JacobT

Dex,

1) It is true. Most JDM wheels are made on order. So if you want brand new lips, send your order to Japan and they'll ship you the new lips 2 months later for a good price DAZZ will never stock all different sizes of lips for replacements. Send your rims back to DAZZ for fixing will cost your almost the price of new rims.

2) Wheel American (fixrim.com) can fix your rims for about $100 a piece. They do a fairly good job. Not as good as new but at least they fix the bent and restore your rim to 95% new condition.
Old 03-28-03, 09:02 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well..

I had a set of Fikse wheels for my Porsche where one wheel had a bent front lip... When it was all said and done, the cost was $225 to replace just the front lip (3 piece wheel) including shipping back to me. I paid $20 to ship the wheel TO Fikse for repair/replacement.

Fikse will ONLY replace, they don't believe in compromising the metal more by bending it again.

I've heard that Kinesis and HRE will also do replacement repairs for whatever section is bent.

When you consider the price of wheels like Fikse, HRE and Kinesis... it was well worth the repair!
Old 03-28-03, 12:05 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dex: What happened to the wheel...did you hit a pothole? I thought that Lowenharts were pretty sturdy.
Old 03-28-03, 11:15 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dex...

from my limited understanding, most JDM wheel makers prefer the repair/replacement of parts to be done in-house in japan...
Old 03-28-03, 11:31 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GS4Will
Dex...

from my limited understanding, most JDM wheel makers prefer the repair/replacement of parts to be done in-house in japan...
crappola...
Old 03-29-03, 10:53 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you hit?