Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

3 piece wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-17, 08:57 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 piece wheels question

I had a debate earlier with some local guys on 3 piece wheels . Somebody stated that asanti and SSR was some of the softest wheels around . I have own 3 piece works ,HRE,Enkei ,MHT ,SSR and Asanti . My HRE had bend in them on all 4 wheels . I can say far worst wheel for the money. My enkei had bends in them but can still be balance. Which the HRE was rolling like a football on the machine. My asanti has a few minor bends but nothing major . I can almost say that most people with 3 piece wheels will face that problem sooner or later . My SSR has one bends. I will tell you this most u.s made 3 piece wheels share the same barrel and lip. The same goes for Japanese and European wheels. Their either Spun or forged . I have looked at my wheels and came to this . People swear up and down that BBS has better quality wheels then SSR but I have had a bent BBS RK and seen alot of bent bbs Rs of mines. Bottom line if you spend 1k on wheels or 10k on some nice forged 3 piece if you hit a pothole or a 2 by 4 at 60 mph guaranteed it's done . The tire size matter alot too , it's obvious that not everyone will hit the same exact hole with the same speed so , one can't speak for the whole wheel company's quality.
Old 04-04-17, 10:44 AM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

It's all different case by case.. In my past, I've heard most of these 3 piece bendage reports coming from people getting their wheels rebuilt and not knowing if their barrels are from factory or some random off the shelf alibaba barrels.
Old 04-12-17, 10:00 PM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned a SAAB 95 Aero sedan with the factory BBS Wheel option, which added another $2,900 to the price of the car! My ex drove it for 2.5 years, I drove an E Class. One day, I see the inspection is due, I make an appointment and she takes to the dealer, who is very nice and does good work. The reason for his call; Yup, all 4 wheels were bent ..
From SAAB, the rims were over $500 easy, and the SAAB canter cap and lugs were extra. The dealer sold me a set of earlier 95 model year alloys with with winter tires for $1,000. Then I sent the wheels to someplace in NY. I forget the name, but it was $250 per wheel to restore them to new standards plus shipping each way. So that cost me another $1,400. The moral of the story?
Don't get married. I had the most expensive set of BBS Wheels, ever! So yes, multi piece wheels can bend, but divorce will bend your wallet.... Get the wheels, skip the wife.
No offense to the ladies on the forum! I just got a bad one!

Last edited by enigma25; 04-13-17 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 06:47 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I hit a few potholes with 2 piece Asantis and they never bent. I know someone else with 3 piece Asantis and they cracked them every few months. I've heard people say 2 peice wheels are more durable than 3 peice.