Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

wheel locks, theft proof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 09:05 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lexkost
DGOT20s, When you find a good spot don't tell anybody and when going for service where a tire/wheel has to be removed , take your keys out of hiding spot beforehand................
Will do , dont want potential theives attempting to CUT MY HEAD OFF for my wheels eh?
Old 12-09-03, 05:38 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Originally posted by PHML
What brand name are these locks? Where can I get them from? How much do they cost?

Pete
the wheel locks are Gorilla Guard Locks, cost about $12.00 for a set of four.... they fit perfect in the wheel lugnut hole so no one can put a socket over the nut. But if you loose the key, good luck!!!!!!!!!

i have a set of 5, the tire guys hate me when i had all my tires rotated (remounted)....lol
Old 12-09-03, 08:26 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jbbnet:

where can i get these?

they look good and i want to be protected with new whels coming in next couple of months;

i will get 2 sets and put 2 locks on each wheel (one lock from each set so it becomes even tougher).

Ted
Old 12-09-03, 10:08 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

TEd,
I got them local at a shop in Ludlow at that car show i met u at, remember? They have them for 12.00 a set but i'm sure you can get them anywhere if you search for "GORILLA GUARD LOCKS"

I have a narrow deep lugnut hole on the wheel so it fits like a glove with the socket on the key.

jim
Old 12-09-03, 12:55 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Jim.

Got any plans for the car? Anynew mods or anything?

Drive it in the winter?

Ted
Old 12-09-03, 08:16 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

My question is, if you have 3 sets of wheel locks, leave 2 of the key in the car and the other one at home, what happens then if you have a flat tire?? You need all 3 keys on you or accessible at all times just in case you get a flat.
Old 12-10-03, 10:43 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theives have a habbit of just taking the whole car when it comes to me. I have had two cars stolen from me and no doubt it was mostly for the shoes, so when the theives get the car in their garage they got all the time they need to figure out how to get past any wheel lock.
Old 09-09-04, 06:33 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

JBBNET - The locks in the picture are the EXACT Locks I'm looking for.

"Gorilla Guard 63631" I've searched everywhere and no place has them in stock. I called Gorrila Auto, and the referred me to Americas Tire. Americas Tire doesn't have them in stock.

Can you send the address of the place you bought yours so I can get a set?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-04, 06:43 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm looking for wheel locks for my Volk AV3. Anyone knows what model will do the trick?

Henry referred me to someone from LA. That guy said he has a set. Maybe he has other selections
I also talked GS4Will. He said McGard is better. I will call them to see what will fit my rims.

Darius, if you want the info, pm me. may be we can combine the shipping
Old 09-09-04, 07:47 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those locks arnt so great. Sure the outside spins but if you get the right sized socket that outer sleeve will help get the lug off. All you have to do is hammer on a socket and the sleeve jams it on to be able to undo it. I was parked by my GF house and heard a clunk noise when I came out 2 wheels where already off and he was working on number 3 but i had a surprise in my hand for him. Im glad it was my old LD-1s and that this was 3 years ago. If my new wheels and me now he would be hurting bad

Last edited by GammaLex; 09-09-04 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-09-04, 08:09 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

actually, once installed, they leave no gap in my wheel. the nut fits almost perfectly in the hole and i already use a thin walled socket for the key.. but i'm sure there's a way.

i don't worry much now, parked in a house with an alarm.
Old 09-09-04, 08:32 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jbbnet
actually, once installed, they leave no gap in my wheel. the nut fits almost perfectly in the hole and i already use a thin walled socket for the key.. but i'm sure there's a way.

i don't worry much now, parked in a house with an alarm.

It jams in the inside of the sleeve where the lock key goes in.
Old 09-19-04, 06:06 PM
Dislexic
Rookie

There is no such thing as a theft proof wheel lock. If someone wants your rims, they WILL get them, it is just a matter of putting things in their way so as to make it take so long that it wouldn't be worth their time, or it would take so long they wouldn't be able to complete their devious task.
Old 09-19-04, 06:11 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I couldn't find anyone that carried the Gorilla locks with the casing around the outside that Gamma has so
I bought a few sets of McGard locks and SplineDrive lugs - I couldn't be happier. Expensive but worth it.

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/

Last edited by TwentyTen; 09-19-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 07:44 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Thats what I have now. The Gorillas, the Mcgard Spline drives, and an Imported JDM brand. I keep 4 wheel lock keys in my trunk for my wheels. Its a pain when changing the height on my coilovers but worth the extra hassle

Quick Reply: wheel locks, theft proof?