Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Are HRE's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-03, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Aint it crazy how a thread about a wheel can turn into an argument!!

One Love!!
yeah it just reminds me of the daizen thread.... and i totally agree with what dex said
Old 07-15-03, 11:01 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man I'm unsubscribring from this thread! This thread spells TROUBLE!
Old 07-15-03, 11:17 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jpa2400
gsintensive - What exactly did I say that was offensive? I was giving a comparison. Sorry if I lack some patients with those who purchase the highest quality mass marketed luxury car on the market, then talk about how a wheel is over built. To ME, if that is how one is thinking then the Lexus line up is completely over built.

Toyota Production Systems at the Lexus plant level is beyond what I can even imagine, with those types of systems in place you know why these vehicles are rock solid. So why put anything less then the highest quality anything on your Lexus?

"JPA is just brainwashed by HRE"

You have known me for years right? For those that KNOW me, they know that is absolutely false. If anything, I am a JDM fan.

The comment about me being a rep is pretty funny. I would have to say I rarely talk about HRE's or any other specific brand that often. I don't personally own HRE's, but I have many friends and associates that do, some of them are even ordering up some of the IFORGED items now, I am curious to see these in person.

As far as the brainwash non-sense, sorry but I do respect some of our members opinions, including Bit and Dex.The consensus is, HRE is top notch.

So enough about HRE. I am for ANY high quality wheel, and that goes for IFORGED which seems to be a hot topic these days. If they are reviewed here and proven to be a high quality 3pc wheel, I am ALL for it. Work, Fiske and any other to boot.

This topic was started about HRE so don't come to me talking about being a representative.

If the topic was "Are Work wheels worth it" You would be calling me a Work representative right now.

Maybe you and bravo are buddies or something and you felt the need to jump in, but I forgot his posts right after I made my last one. I have nothing against him and to ME, considered this just a friendly debate.

I think any frequent viewer of this forum knows it does have some heavy opinions on lesser quality wheels (saying lesser quality, not cheaper).

Edit -gsintensive - No need to change your post, I already read it. Feel free to repost your thoughts, I made it past recess without a nap so don't worry about offending me
Hey JPA, I understand your points about quality wheels on our quality Lexus. It is the very basis of many enthusiasts like us to modify our cars to begin with. Myself, like Manaray, are one of the quality defenders on CL, so dont' worry about that. The core of this topic is "if HRE worth the price" instead of "HRE worth the price compared to ADR" so I first thought your response was a little too dramatic. I for one, don't think I have ever qustioned HRE's top notched quality, just if its worth the extra 1~2k is in debate here.

You could say I and Bravo are buddies, considered he drives quite a while extra to Cal to meet me Like I said in my "modified" post, we are all Lexus enthusiasts here, if it is you in the same situation, I would jump in to defend nonetheless.

ps. mm I thought I have modify my post fast enough, I guess not fast enough. my mistake.
Old 07-16-03, 06:59 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

< --------Sold on HRE now.

I think they've made some good points 'defending' their pricing structure......which really required no defending.

Last edited by DriftGirl; 07-16-03 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-17-03, 12:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, even HRE's can break. Bottom line is that there is no wheel out there that is "THE" wheel. Personally, I have owned many brands of wheels and seen many more. I bought iForged because they offered the best of everything IMO. They had nice clean designs, they had 3-piece and 2-piece wheels, they're customizable, they offer deeper lips than the other American forged brands and the fact that they good prices was just icing on the cake. As for their experience, don't forget, the company that actually makes the wheels is Intro and they've been around for a while. They're not newbs....

The price on the 540's are reasonable as are the 440 but think about this folks...the 440R is also a 3-piece wheel with forged centers and spun lips. As are the 540's and 540R's...are 440R's tested less? Lesser quality? Why the price difference? And let's look at the 840R's. They put the hardware on the inside much like Fikse did (knock-off?!? ) but does that warrant a $8000 sticker? Twice the price of 440R's? Think folks, think...

I know many of you like to get on the bandwagon but let's face it, how many of you have actually owned HRE's to speak from experience? And the folks who HAVE owned HRE's (or currently own HRE's), how many have owned other forged wheels? Cuz until you've met those two requirements, you can't speak from experience, can ya?

HRE is going for the "luxury item" type market. Plain and simple. They want their brand to be like Louis Vuitton. Afterall, everyone knows that LV bags are COMPLETLEY overpriced but people buy it. People who want other people to see that they have a LV bag. Personally, I could give a crap if someone knows what kind of wheels I have because *I* know I have quality wheels. When I had my HRE's, hardly anyone had ever heard of them. Certainly not many people on ClubLexus (I believe I was the first on CL to own a set)

The only way to answer the question is to you ask yourself if it's worth it to you. There are other multi-piece forged wheels of the same quality and there are wheels that are more exotic and more rare than any HRE (except maybe the 544... )....if the designs and the label does it for you and you're willing to pay the price, then HRE's are worth it. If you're more about getting your money's worth, IMO, there are other choices out there. The bottom line is BUY QUALITY WHEELS....but remember, just because they cost more does not mean they're necessarily better.

With that said, I won't be buying a set of HRE's anytime soon. I had less than stellar service with them and only recently (nearly 3-years later), did they correct it (sort of)...not to mention some of the other things I now know...
Old 07-17-03, 01:18 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Manaray
You know, even HRE's can break. Bottom line is that there is no wheel out there that is "THE" wheel. Personally, I have owned many brands of wheels and seen many more. I bought iForged because they offered the best of everything IMO. They had nice clean designs, they had 3-piece and 2-piece wheels, they're customizable, they offer deeper lips than the other American forged brands and the fact that they good prices was just icing on the cake. As for their experience, don't forget, the company that actually makes the wheels is Intro and they've been around for a while. They're not newbs....

The price on the 540's are reasonable as are the 440 but think about this folks...the 440R is also a 3-piece wheel with forged centers and spun lips. As are the 540's and 540R's...are 440R's tested less? Lesser quality? Why the price difference? And let's look at the 840R's. They put the hardware on the inside much like Fikse did (knock-off?!? ) but does that warrant a $8000 sticker? Twice the price of 440R's? Think folks, think...

I know many of you like to get on the bandwagon but let's face it, how many of you have actually owned HRE's to speak from experience? And the folks who HAVE owned HRE's (or currently own HRE's), how many have owned other forged wheels? Cuz until you've met those two requirements, you can't speak from experience, can ya?

HRE is going for the "luxury item" type market. Plain and simple. They want their brand to be like Louis Vuitton. Afterall, everyone knows that LV bags are COMPLETLEY overpriced but people buy it. People who want other people to see that they have a LV bag. Personally, I could give a crap if someone knows what kind of wheels I have because *I* know I have quality wheels. When I had my HRE's, hardly anyone had ever heard of them. Certainly not many people on ClubLexus (I believe I was the first on CL to own a set)

The only way to answer the question is to you ask yourself if it's worth it to you. There are other multi-piece forged wheels of the same quality and there are wheels that are more exotic and more rare than any HRE (except maybe the 544... )....if the designs and the label does it for you and you're willing to pay the price, then HRE's are worth it. If you're more about getting your money's worth, IMO, there are other choices out there. The bottom line is BUY QUALITY WHEELS....but remember, just because they cost more does not mean they're necessarily better.

With that said, I won't be buying a set of HRE's anytime soon. I had less than stellar service with them and only recently (nearly 3-years later), did they correct it (sort of)...not to mention some of the other things I now know...
Amen, couldn't have said better.
Old 07-17-03, 04:32 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, manaray, with all due respect, this is two-face approach to HRE becoming rediculous. The following are purely glaring inconsistencies I've noticed, so I'm going to type them out just as they flow off the top of my head.

From the relatively short time I've been on CL, you've shared a ton of useful information, but this fleecing of the board needs to be shaken off.

Peace

You know, even HRE's can break.
Nobody said, as far as I can see, that they were unbreakable

....I know many of you like to get on the bandwagon but let's face it, how many of you have actually owned HRE's to speak from experience? And the folks who HAVE owned HRE's (or currently own HRE's), how many have owned other forged wheels? Cuz until you've met those two requirements, you can't speak from experience, can ya?
Ahhh. Listen up everybody, you can't speak unless you've owned at least as many wheel brands as Manaray, maybe more.

So I've only own 2 Lexus cars. How many have you owned? Less than me? If so, than I must regretably inform you that you can't possible expound upon the Service, Reliability, and Quality of such a fine automobile.

In my first set of HREs, everything has been perfect, and I really like to share that fact. Is my experience worth less than yours? I went off word of mouth (experience) and research. I would surmise that there are a few thousand more happy customers out there than there are disgruntled manarays. For my money, why not go with a proven winner.

Are you sure? Becasue you were quite the poster-boy for HRE as long as I can remember. From what I can remember, HREs were paramount, and all else was spit. Now, after so many years, you jump ship. Why? All of a sudden you're not getting what you want? Tell us about that. No 'PM me for details' either.

You want to call out and complain about HREs in public, tell us really why in public too.
Old 07-17-03, 01:32 PM
Cerberus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the CL rules regarding Personal Attacks don't apply to power-abusing Super Moderators.
Old 07-17-03, 01:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

They're both super moderators, but they're also people with sometimes strong opinions and feelings too. Sometimes that gets out and this thread is closed for that reason.

And there are also rules about not "smarting off to moderators", which you've just done. If you have any questions, comments, or issues with a moderator, please contact the administrator at administrator@clublexus.com.

There are benefits to many types of wheels at many different price points. Pros and cons to all of them. We need to discuss those items here - without personal comments - for the benefit of our members.

I will say in closing that folks who are offered special deals by wheel vendors do tend have a very strong bias towards those vendors and that factor should be considered by our members. Not everyone knows what goes on behind the scenes with these deals (nor do I). I ask that those folks (and there at least a couple on this forum) who are sponsored be conscious of their financial and personal investments when responding to posts here on ClubLexus... please try to be fair and objective.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-17-03 at 03:41 PM.