Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 04:01 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SC300nAE86
I agree. Try a used Japanese importer site like GSpeed or something get some nice wheels cheap.
where can I find this GSpeed you are talking about?
Old 07-27-03, 07:58 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

This may be a longshot but, has there ever been a group purchase on tires?
Old 07-28-03, 02:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't afford it, why not just stick with stock wheels and tires and save the money for MAINTENANCE. What good are $1000 wheel (well, they're no good period but....) if your car is stuck on the side of the road? You obviously don't have money to drop on proper wheels so what's going to happen if your car breaks down? Don't be so concerned with "pimpin" when you have to scrape up money to buy a set of cheap knock-offs. Be concerned about have some reserve funds in your bank account (or pillow case) when/if something does go wrong with the car.

I mean seriously, if you're low on cash, WTF are you doing fixing up a Luxury Car? Worry about school first and when you get out of school and have a real job that pays real money, THEN fix up your car properly. Besides that, schools are a GREAT place to get your shiat stolen anyways...

As for the Civic with ADR's getting compliments, no offense, but let's think about the crowd that's complimenting the Civic with ADR's...that's like going to a import car show and winning a prize...big whoop, look at what you're competing against....
Old 07-28-03, 03:42 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

This is how they look staggered on a Z. Not a bad look.
Attached Thumbnails ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet-fb9084fe.jpg  
Old 07-28-03, 03:43 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

another shot
Attached Thumbnails ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet-fb908556.jpg  
Old 07-28-03, 03:43 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Manaray -

Dude, calm down. I have ample money to maintain my car. When I say $1800 is my budget for wheels, I mean $1800 is my budget for my wheels. It's not my budget for the car in general, or for myself, for that matter. I NEVER plan to "pimp" out my car. I plan to replace the only part of my car that's detracting from it's style, the wheels. Just because my idea of "proper" wheels isn't the kind of wheels that cost as much as a used SC doesn't mean they're not sufficient for my needs. So I suggest you not tell us little guys what we can and can't obviously afford. I'm shouldn't have to be ashamed to be able to spend ONLY $1800 on wheels/tires. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford what I can. Take care man, and don't be so quick to assume.
Old 07-28-03, 03:44 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Thanks Lexpro

I think they look great on 350s
Old 07-28-03, 07:04 PM
dvp
Driver School Candidate

Its too bad they look cheap when you get close to them, but from far away they look nice. I agree with Manaray though, you should buy nice wheels that compliment your car. And if you cant afford them or don’t want to buy them. Wait until you have the disposable income to buy the wheels you will be proud to own as long as you have your current vehicle. Then that is money well spent, if you spend 1800 and a couple years later you cant stand your wheels, that money is forever wasted. Then so called frugality is an exercise in futility. That is why I currently roll on stock wheels, i may detest them. But I couldn’t live with spending money to downgrade any part on my car.

D.
Old 07-28-03, 07:44 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

That is some great snobbery spewing out of your computer Manaray. IMO, my IS is not a Luxury Car, and therefore does not need $6000 for HRE's unless I care to **** away that kind of money. Sure it's a nice car, about as nice as some $1800 ADR's. I would like to change the look, but don't feel it is worth having 1/5 of the car's value be in the wheels. Not sure if is is the same for SC400 there, but I can see where he might not want to dump piles of money into an old car if it's not for show and not for go, just something to change it up a bit.

Hey, I buy Payless shoes and Anchor Blue jeans and eat $1 double cheeseburgers quite frequently. Maybe I would rather put that extra $$$ into my house, trips to wherever, and save for my upcoming college education. Not all of us have a void in our pants to fill with some overpriced shiny wheels
Old 07-28-03, 08:02 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Besides, these look nice, hope no one hates me for posting this pick, but I dunno who's car it is
Attached Thumbnails ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet-mclassic2.jpg  
Old 07-28-03, 11:30 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SweetSC400 - If you have plenty of money, then why only a $1800 budget on wheels (is that wheels only or wheels and tires)? You can get some nice Volks (in 19") for around $2500 (no tires). You can also get a lot of JDM wheels in 19" for that price (ask GS4Will)...why spend $1800 for crap? And if you want to talk about being "sufficient", let's face it, stock wheels are "sufficient".

And you're right, there is nothing wrong with only spending $1800 on wheels/tires but you're not putting it on a low end car. $1800 for wheels/tires on a Civic is great, on a Jetta, it's great, etc., etc...maybe I'm just crazy but I figure if you can afford an Armani suit, you can afford a proper watch and shoes to go with it. Not a $20 Swatch and $30 loafers from the Shoe City. Maybe I'm just particular in that respect.

Lexpro/SDuquette - The wheels do *look* nice but from about 300 feet away, even hubcap rims looks ok.

SDuquette - I never said an IS300 was a Luxury car, it's not, but if you're POOR, what business do you have buying a Lexus IS300 in the first place? If I was poor, I would buy a Civic.....when I say Luxury Car, I was referring to the SC400....I also never said that you *had* to spend $6000 on a set of HRE's so check your notes next time son. $1800 ADR's are as nice as $11K Civics. There's a reason why a ton on Civic owners have ADR's. As for changing it up a bit, that's like saying I want a new watch to "change it up a bit" so I'm going buy a Folex (a fake Rolex). Sure, it will tell the time, it *looks* like a Rolex, but it's not a Rolex, now is it? I'm not saying you need to go out a buy a frickin' $250,000 IWC Grand Complication but WTF, buy something that's WORTH buying. Don't buy from a known crappy knock-off brand. Buy something better. If $1800 is your budget, then save up some more.

As for Payless Shoes and Anchor Blue jeans...your life doesn't ride on $20 shoes and $20 jeans. If you would rather put money towards a house/trips/whatnot, that's fine, but why crap out your ride with crappy knock-off parts?

As for having a void in your pants, kinda like having a buy a *LEXUS* to make up for some shortcommings? I guess we're all guilty if you want to use that logic...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-28-03 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 04:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

come on guys . lets get along , i mean its sc's money howerver i in part agree with manarays logic about the armani scenerio.. too many people fakin the move.. i also agree somewhat with sc logic, but sc i too have inquired and rearched adr stuff and it is very cheap stuff.. heavy metals and terrible workmanship..the veterans on the boards like manaray know their stuff well, you should not take his advice out of context and think its a personal attack...you drive a lexus is true , no need though to mortgage ones house to represent ..quality speaks for quality remember at&t motto once was " you get what you pay for" which is why places like the tire rack does not carry that brand because it is inferior quality

common sense is warranted here
Old 07-29-03, 11:33 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray does have a point. Just save up a bit more and get some quality rims. You can always get a nice set of used Volks, Blitz, etc...etc anyways to save some dough.

Does anybody have the site for that used wheel site Gspeed?
Old 07-29-03, 12:05 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im with Manny!!
Old 07-29-03, 02:50 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Ok guys. . . I never intended for this post to take a turn like it has. In reference to Manaray - It should be noted that MY Lexus is a 1993 with 150,000 miles that cost me $6000. And I think you're stretching your logic a bit when you suggest the idea of "riding" on ADR wheels could be hazardous to my life or others riding with me. I don't participate in the 24 hour of le mans. And, yes, my $1800 budget does include tires. I knew that ADR wheels were inferior to these wheels that you all plunk 5 g's down on before I posted this whole thing. However, that fact has been stressed many times over, and I'm taking that into consideration. So, don't think I'm chosing to ignore your insight. It's just that some of you don't understand that people like me simply can't, and more importantly WON'T, spend great sums of money on wheels. On another note, I'm in Kansas City, Missouri. My area is not commonly known for high traffic of tricked out Lexus', or Civics, for that matter. So, say I do eventually chose to ride on ADRs, I won't have a hate crew picking my car apart everwhere I go, at least not that I can anticipate. But, I've never seen ADRs up close. And, I've never seen HREs up close. The only experience I've had in aftermarket wheels are Cobra R's on my old Stang, and 96 SS rims on my Camaro. This is why I asked you all for advice. It's just that some gave MORE than advice. Anyhow, no harm done. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some used JDMs and such, but haven't yet ruled out the ADRs. Sorry. Thanks for everything guys.

Matt

Quick Reply: ADR wheels. . .don't hate me yet