Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

backward rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 01:11 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backward rotors?

I first posted this in the GS suspension forum but I couldn't get this resolved so I am asking here (to a larger audience)

I noticed some people installed thier brake rotors two different directions. Also I've have seen it in many import magazines installed this way.

Here's my front driver side rotor (front of the car is to the left)

Other user's brake rotors are installed with the slots (lines) on the outer portion contacting the pad before the inner portion of the slot as the wheel rotates. Is that correct? Do I have mine on backwards?

If so, I noticed many users have it the both ways. (see this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=77866)

ps. my rotors were not marked left and right

thanks for the help.
jim
Old 07-29-03, 02:36 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It depends

On my power slot rotors, power slot recommends the leading edge be closest to the center (exactly how yours are installed). EBC is the same way, but other brands recommend the installation exactly the opposite. You will have to consult the rotor manufacturer for their recommendation. Nice wheels by the way.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 07-29-03 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 03:28 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks.

I checked on the inner vains in the rotors and they are not directional but straight down. They are bradi rotors that Steve had in the group by. Anyone else have these? how are yours installed?
Old 07-29-03, 03:39 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the vains are straight up and down (NON-Directional Rotors), then it shouldn't matter either way (which is probably why they weren't marked).

For reference, if you do get rotors that have DIRECTIONAL vaining (which is superior to straight vains), the vain "exits" on the front rotors (at the outside edge of the rotor) should point towards you when you're sitting in the car.

If you have directional rears, the vain exits should point away from you when you sit in the car...