Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Q: I'm pretty mad...need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 12:42 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you end up with +26 offset. Ain't that too aggrassive for the front
If the wheel is 8.5 +26, it has the same frontspacing as a 9" +32. For sure, they will be aggressive, but for camparison, my 20x9 +35 are still tucked in a few millimeters.

how about if I shaved the inside of my wheel to accomadate the caliper?
Yikes! Please don't do this- it will compromise the structural integrity of the wheel!!!

Maybe I am not understanding the offsets , does it mean the more the offset +35 and up the more room you have between the wheel hub and the actual rim clearance
Typically, a lower offset value will imply more wheel spoke-to-brake caliper clearance... but not all wheels have the same spoke profile and cross-section. Some spokes are flat, some are curved.. for example, all of our wheel lines have different spoke profiles (which change the brake caliper-to-spoke and other clearances) which were dictated by aesthetic and weight goals we had in mind for that particular wheel series.
Offset only relates to where the wheels' mounting surface sits in relation to the (imaginary) centerline of the wheel. The design of the individual wheel style wil dictate the actual distance from the back of the spoke to any particular brake.

Is everyone confused now? I'm always happy to help confuse people!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-01-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-01-03, 08:20 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so Bob, let me get this straight...

on my SC, I am thinking of getting the Supra front brakes...
On a 19 x 8.5, I will need a high disk wheel with an offset between +35 to +40?
thanks for any insight. It is appreciated
Old 08-02-03, 09:26 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by legendary
so Bob, let me get this straight...

on my SC, I am thinking of getting the Supra front brakes...
On a 19 x 8.5, I will need a high disk wheel with an offset between +35 to +40?
thanks for any insight. It is appreciated
I also considering of getting the Supra front brakes on my SC300 and my Z-Gettin (19x8.5) offset of +43 high disk.... will this have enough room to clear the Supra BB?
I know that it suppose to fit but after reading this thread I'm hesitant to upgrade...

Thanks,
Old 08-03-03, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well the way i tell myself is, it's the spoke design, disk application, and shape, that determines the fitment of brakes. the lower the offset MIGHT help the clearance a litlte bit, but technically i don't see how it's related to brake clearance
Old 08-03-03, 04:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Typically, a lower offset value will imply more wheel spoke-to-brake caliper clearance... but not all wheels have the same spoke profile and cross-section. Some spokes are flat, some are curved.. for example, all of our wheel lines have different spoke profiles (which change the brake caliper-to-spoke and other clearances) which were dictated by aesthetic and weight goals we had in mind for that particular wheel series.
Offset only relates to where the wheels' mounting surface sits in relation to the (imaginary) centerline of the wheel. The design of the individual wheel style wil dictate the actual distance from the back of the spoke to any particular brake.

Is everyone confused now? I'm always happy to help confuse people!
I am definitely confused now!

To summarize:
1. Lower offset = greater distance between wheel spokes and brake caliper
2. Higher offset = less distance between wheel spokes and brake caliper
3. Offset is the distance between the wheels mounting surface and the vertical (imaginary) centreline of the wheel.

Is that correct? I'm still confused. I need to see a diagram to see the light............

Last edited by Hameed; 08-03-03 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-03-03, 09:15 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brandon,
I think the only safe way to go is with a new set of correct offset rims for the front.

Shaving wheel....(wheel integrity reduced) ...

Shaving caliper ....(caliper integrity reduced)....

Custom bolt on spacer..0.5 inch.....(strain on suspension , wheel will not look right)...

You have two options:

1) Get new rims for the front

2) Sell the brake kit to me
Old 08-04-03, 10:48 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am definitely confused now!
Hameed: Offset ONLY dictated how a wheel fits on a vehicle. The spoke profile determines whether or not a paticular wheel will/won't clear certain brakes. For example, two 19x8.5 +37 wheels: one has a flat spoke, one has a 'bowed' spoke- the bowed-spoke wheel will have a better chances of fitting over large calipers, as the spoke will tend to 'sweep' over and away from the brake caliper.

Notice how our 840R series have a fairly dramatic spoke sweep? This enables us to combine deeper lips with bigger brake systems.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-04-03 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-05-03, 07:41 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going for a Supra TT brake upgrade you will most likely have to ask for a Hi-Pad disk with correct offset. All manufacturers are different and you can't go by a set offset. As some other members mentioned there are different aspects of the wheels which will affect it such as spoke design. I'm sorry, not an expert on wheels but having a Surpa TT it is best to ask for this type of fitment.

This is also why I'm selling the Rotora Big Brake kit, it fits the factory 16",17" offsets, I didn't use a spacer on my SC300 and had plenty of clearance. this is for members that have already invested in wheels.....
Old 08-05-03, 10:45 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Just so I am sure, the Rotora kit fits the stock 16" wheels? That is might attractive.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Ron
Old 08-05-03, 10:48 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct Ron!!

Here's the original post on the GB forum if your interested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=82466
Old 08-05-03, 10:52 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Impressive. Just when I thought it was safe to give up all notions of big brakes if I stay with the 16's......

Yet another demonstration of the value of this board. If you know the combo fits, you obviously have a much better chance of driving bliss without a) having the car laid up indefinitely for new parts and b) getting those nasty little checkbook surprises that double the cost of a mod. I hope we have put to death the ideas of shaving either a caliper or a wheel to make a half inch of clearance. Those both qualify for the "Gigli" solution to suspension engineering.

Last edited by RON430; 08-05-03 at 10:56 AM.