Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HRE vs Autocouture

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 09:03 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRE vs Autocouture

Okay,
I successfully bent all four of my L-Sportlines!!! Hit a 1.5 inch lip where they shaved away the asphalt from a concrete surface bridge at 45 m.p.h. Not impressed with L-sportline product or customer service. I took them to a wheel repair place. They said the hubs were bent and wheels were non-repairable. I am now looking for new wheels. I really like the Autocouture Magnifiques and the HRE 540Rs. The HREs are forged rather than cast so they are a lot stronger according to Peter at Wheel Experts. They are also modular and can be repaired easier. The Autocoutures look awesome and are cast wheels and have to be sent to Europe for repair. I prefer the Autocoutures slightly. Does anyone with the 540Rs have difficulty keeping them clean?? They look hard to clean. Please give your opinions on those wheels. The 540 vs. the 540Rs and Autocoutures etc. I need advice from the great minds of this forum!!!!

Doc C
Old 08-20-03, 11:26 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This would be better answered in the Wheel and Tire Forum but I will try to lend my insight from my wheel shopping experience and the very knowledgable minds that have given me advice on CL..

Personally if you are spending this kind of money for then your 2 choices should only be the 540R and AC.. Since both are reversed lip (Flat lip) and the 540 is a stepped lip which to the casual observer makes a 19" wheel look like a 18" and 20" look like a 19".. Since Gene has already done the AC's I would tend to stay away from that since in my eyes it would be nice to be original but then again i've seen 540R's on a SC430 too.. Both are really nice wheels and my other favourite with respect to HRE would be the 549R.. As for finish if you are getting brushed aluminum or polished make sure you get them clearcoated too so you don't spend hours cleaning/waxing them..

Peter @ Wheel Experts is a class guy who can help you make the best possible choice at a price you can live with so check with him before you pull the trigger on your wheel purchase!

Also if you need JDM (ie. Work, Arrow, Volk) wheels hit GS4Will up for a price quote..

Hope that helps!
Old 08-20-03, 01:16 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have put it on the wheels and tires area, but there are numerous threads on this area dealing with everyone else's wheels and tires, so I thought it would be okay. I have talked with Peter. He's the one that sold me my L-Sportlines. I think I can get a decent deal on the 540Rs. I saw somebody's (XEEETBMW330???) SC with the 540Rs on it. They looked good. Gene's car does look great too. I guess I was wondering about the cast wheels vs. forged wheels question. Especially since I just bent 4 wheels. The dealership, or the wheel repair place said they had never seen that happen. Even in very severe circumstances. L-Sportline guy was an ----hole!! Thanks for your response. I appreciate the insight on the 540 vs. 540Rs.

Doc C
Old 08-20-03, 07:10 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

No problem Doc.. With respect to Forge vs Cast as you probably already know that Forged wheels will most definately be stronger & lighter which is an added bonus since you would have less unsprung weight thus making your car faster.. Cheaper solution for Forged wheels you might want to look into a company called IFORGED since their designs are similar but different from HRE..

PM Manaray for additional details with respect to IFORGED and hit this link below for their website..

http://www.iforged.com/mainl.html

As for the L-Sportlines that is amazing that all four bent the way they did.. I don't think I have ever seen such a case..

Hope that helps!

Ken
Old 08-20-03, 09:38 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

2 SAVVY,

Thanks for the info. Those I-forged wheels are awesome looking. They are competitively priced as well. I think they are very similar to HRE and look wonderful. Has anyone had those wheels put on, or had any problems with them??? I'm definitely going to look into those. I couldn't find the weight of the 540R HREs, but the I-forged that are similar are 25 pounds. Thanks again.

Doc C
Old 08-22-03, 03:10 AM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the i-Forged Seneka brushed aluminum and they look just like HRE 540 and 540R, my rims are really east to clean. The only difference between HRE and i-Foged is that HRE is a 3-peice wheel and they cost more, i-Forged is only a two-peice wheel, but cost less. Some people like HRE because not alot of people can afford them thus not too many have them, but in my area I've seen more cars with HRE's then
i-Forged wheels.
Old 08-22-03, 08:06 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Hmmm...

i-Forged is only a two-peice wheel
IForged FS series are all 3 pc construction (that includes the Seneka)

Regards,

-Seize
Old 08-22-03, 01:50 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

I disagree, back up your information some how. I have the FS Forged Series Seneka and they told me they only make it in a 2-peice. I'm pretty sure Vince told me all i-Forged are 2-peice,
call him and ask 818-245-1135
Old 08-22-03, 02:11 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I'll back it up for him

The iForged wheel line is seperated into three distinctive series, each with it's own unique features.

FS Forged Series: This series is made up of modular 3 piece construction that are manufactured to increase the strength of the wheel while reducing the overall weight. We currently offer five styles in this series, with new designs on the way. These styles are available in 18"-24" sizes with widths varying from 7.5"-12". These wheels are offered in a variety of widths and offsets to fit your vehicles custom needs.

RS Racing Series: This series consists of two-piece wheels that utilize a forged center and a fully polished rim. The flexibility of forging allows us to create beautiful designs that will clear larger aftermarket brake calipers. We currently have five styles in the RS series. These race inspired designs are available in 17-24" sizes and are offered in a variety of widths from 7" to 10" and offsets to fit your vehicles custom needs
Old 08-22-03, 02:16 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Default Wide LS

What jpa2400 has put in his post is correct...it is sourced directly from the IForged website.

Oh and jpa2400, good lookin' out!!

Regards,

-Seize

Last edited by Seize; 08-22-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 02:26 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default ?

How could you be insulted by Wide LS's question? He didn't make any comment about you personally or your intelligence.
Old 08-23-03, 12:09 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Default Re: ?

Originally posted by link13
How could you be insulted by Wide LS's question? He didn't make any comment about you personally or your intelligence.
I was just trying to clarify things not insult anyone. I'm still trying to figure out why my wheels are 2-peice if the web site says that they are 3-peice.

Last edited by Wide LS; 08-23-03 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-23-03, 12:25 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Default Wide LS

Hey I sent you a PM.

Regards,

-Seize
Old 08-26-03, 08:37 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Ordered 19 inch 540Rs. Dseag2 convinced me to get the Pilot sports too. I hope the ride is okay on those. Sorry Deseag2, but I went with the A/S rather than the others. Colorado weather kind of dictates that. My wife hates the run flats!!! I went with the 285s rather than the 275s. I know they may not look as good, but I think that will provide a little more protection for the wheels. No one I know had ever heard of anyone bending all four wheels at once!!!?? I don't want that to happen again. Thanks for all your help in this decision. I don't want to have to think about wheels or tires anymore!!!

Doc C
Old 08-26-03, 04:35 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Congrats Doc..

Let us know how you like your wheels when you get them.. Did HRE let you know how long it would be?

Ken

Quick Reply: HRE vs Autocouture