Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Brake pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-03, 06:56 PM
Lexboi99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake pulsing

My friend's Uncle has a 2002 ES300 with only 13K on it and there has been a shake through the steering wheel during moderate braking. The Lexus dealer thought it could be a alignment problem and an alignment was performed but the problem remains. I had said it is most likely a warped rotor which now after driving more in the car i know for sure that it is. He is calling Lexus back tomorrow to let them know about his problem. My question is i had told him that he should insist that Lexus cover the warped rotor for premature wear. He does not drive hard at all and there is no way that this should have happened so soon. The car was however a test car and was the last 2002 model left so i have a feeling it may have been driven hard during that time. Do you think Lexus will cover the premature warped rotors??? anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-24-03, 08:13 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a TSB on this one. Your dealer should be able to install an upgarded brake kit for free under the TSB. If not, call Lexus service or beat some sense into your dealer.
Old 08-24-03, 08:56 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my '94 ES300 I developed the same brake problem. The car had under 11,000 miles at the time. I went to my dealer and he replaced the pads & rotors under the warranty. That corrected the problem. This rotor warpage can happen if the rotor is hot and the car goes thru water, either at a car wash or puddles.
Old 08-25-03, 06:57 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Brake pulsing

[ Do you think Lexus will cover the premature warped rotors??? anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I've had the problem on my '02ES, and as others have mentioned, it's a known defect corrected by a TSB. Lexus will certainly correct it at no charge, by applying the kit. If you dealer even hesitates to do so, I'd start dealing w/Lexus Customerr Service. (I'd also start looking for another Lexus dealer for future service.)
Old 08-25-03, 08:55 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I had the same problem and had the TSB work done 7/19/2003 at absolutely no cost to me. Front rotors and pads where totally swapped out. i'm suprised the Lexus dealer he went to didn't know about this.
The rotors are a different composition and style that are supposed to have better compatibility with the pads.

If the Lexus dealer does not know about it, start using a new delarship.

steviej
Old 08-25-03, 05:45 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

I seriously doubt they would...
The only way rotors warp is by overuse, and that's the end user's fault. :\

I'm sure if he complains enough to the right person you might could get it changed...
Old 08-25-03, 06:06 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The only way rotors warp is by overuse, and that's the end user's fault. "

Not in this case. As I remember this one, the TSB was issued to correct a problem with material/thickness installed at the factory, and causing high heat and warpage as a result. Some referred to the TSB as a "silent recall", whereas, the replacement kit would be applied to any vehicle exhibiting the symptoms, or any owner complaining about the symptoms.
Old 08-28-03, 10:48 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Question This TSB applies to 2003's?!

What's up all,

So, This TSB on the brake/rotor warping applies to which year Lexus ES's? Was it an issue with the 2003 ES300's? I've noticed from my older 2000 Toyota Avalon, that the rotors are very prone to rusting and the steering wheel and column vibrate when braking fast and driving over 75mph. Toyota design issue?

Regards,
Ken
Old 08-29-03, 05:16 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by kwc_diesel
So, This TSB on the brake/rotor warping applies to which year Lexus ES's? Was it an issue with the 2003 ES300's? I've noticed from my older 2000 Toyota Avalon, that the rotors are very prone to rusting and the steering wheel and column vibrate when braking fast and driving over 75mph. Toyota design issue?
Yes, this TSB applies to both the '02 and '03 ES300. I believe it's called "front brake vibration" (the name speaks for itself). You can find more TSBs for your car by going to alldata.com, and clicking on the "Recalls & TSBs" link at the top.

Rotors are going to rust no matter how you drive or how often you take your car out on the road, so this is normal. With the shaking of your steering wheel, it sounds like you need your rotors resurfaced or grinded down. Best to go to your dealership to fix the problem. I had the same problem on my '01 ES a while ago. This is pretty much a wear-and-tear issue, not an OEM design issue.
Old 08-29-03, 11:18 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Question

Thanks for the link lexusk8. So this appears to be an issue with the front disc brakes. A vibration symptom like this would happen only after certain usage or mileage?

My ride has slightly under 8500 miles on it with no unusual vibrations happening. Maybe talking to the service techs at my Lex dealership can check if this rotor warp is showing up yet. Is there a timelimit for TSB recalls like this? Such as before a certain mileage is reached, the problem must be reported?
Old 08-30-03, 08:38 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

kwc, the problem stems from a material mismatch in the selection of parts by Toyota.
Apparently the rotors were/are prone to premature warping after excessive heat build up over time. This is according to the service manager at my dealership. The problem is excentuated when there is excessive braking and long term high speed driving (highway, freeway and the like). Mine did not exhibit signs and symptoms until about 22,000 miles. I called, expressed concern of the brake pulsation, they swapped the front rotors and pads out, no questions asked. Takes only 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

I do not think they will give you a problem even in a year or two. The only caviot is that your problem pads and rotors have to be original rotors and pads.

If the potential of your brakes pulsating is causing you any paranoia or excess worry, call them next week and tell them you feel a pulsation and you know of the TSB. Get them sewitched out.

Or wait and get a free brake job when the problem is apparent.

As for a time limit, you can always call anonymously and say you know of the TSB and that you don't have any pulsation but you would like to know what the deadline is.

good luck.
steviej
Old 09-01-03, 12:42 PM
Buster
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by steviej
kwc, the problem stems from a material mismatch in the selection of parts by Toyota.
Apparently the rotors were/are prone to premature warping after excessive heat build up over time. This is according to the service manager at my dealership. The problem is excentuated when there is excessive braking and long term high speed driving (highway, freeway and the like). Mine did not exhibit signs and symptoms until about 22,000 miles. I called, expressed concern of the brake pulsation, they swapped the front rotors and pads out, no questions asked. Takes only 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

I do not think they will give you a problem even in a year or two. The only caviot is that your problem pads and rotors have to be original rotors and pads.

If the potential of your brakes pulsating is causing you any paranoia or excess worry, call them next week and tell them you feel a pulsation and you know of the TSB. Get them sewitched out.

Or wait and get a free brake job when the problem is apparent.

As for a time limit, you can always call anonymously and say you know of the TSB and that you don't have any pulsation but you would like to know what the deadline is.

good luck.
steviej
I found this article on the myths of disc brakes:
http://stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm
Old 09-02-03, 01:16 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thanks Buster,

That was a kickass link. Very informative, anyways, i'm about to go to one of my dealers soon, gotta try the upgrade for the 3G ES transmission fix. Gonna talk to the service techs about the brake pads and rotors.