Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

BEST Tire Sealant ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 01:53 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question BEST Tire Sealant ??

Hi Folks, What Tire Sealant BRAND do you think is the BEST and lasts the longest for slow leaks - there's Slime, Fix-A-Flat, TITE-SEAL, etc? Thanks!!
Old 04-27-20, 06:16 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What the inside you your rim probably looks like. Air is escaping where the minute cracks in the chrome meet and pass thru the tire/rim seal. My guess is you’re loosing about 3-5 lbs of pressure per day?

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Hi Folks, What Tire Sealant BRAND do you think is the BEST and lasts the longest for slow leaks - there's Slime, Fix-A-Flat, TITE-SEAL, etc? Thanks!!

I’m guessing you have OEM chrome rims? If so, I just got through with this headache. You’re not going to like this answer, but IMHO the best course of action is to remove tire from rim (about $20/tire to un-mount & remount), sand the corrosion down smooth (inside of the non-visible part of the rim, where tire holds the air pressure). You can use a wire wheel brush on an electric drill, and a hand sander. When it is completely smooth, wipe with a mineral spirits soaked rag (or paint thinner) then paint that part of the rim with a quality primer. Maybe two coats. This is what I saw another guy do on the other Lexus forum, and it worked very well for me. No more leaks. I’ll try to post some pics.
Old 04-27-20, 06:34 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Forgot about this thread! lol But, damn, those pix of the rims look kinda gucky inside. AVOID Tire Sealants as much as possible - they create & leave even more residue & guck inside your rims - even Slime which apparently is the best. Better to mount the spare, then take the leaking wheel to tire repair.
Originally Posted by chuck58
What the inside you your rim probably looks like. Air is escaping where the minute cracks in the chrome meet and pass thru the tire/rim seal. My guess is you’re loosing about 3-5 lbs of pressure per day?
Nah, turned out it was a pretty thick nail missing the head, or screw, or something. That's why losing only around 1 lb per day but still annoying.

Originally Posted by chuck58
I’m guessing you have OEM chrome rims? If so, I just got through with this headache. You’re not going to like this answer, but IMHO the best course of action is to remove tire from rim (about $20/tire to un-mount & remount), sand the corrosion down smooth (inside of the non-visible part of the rim, where tire holds the air pressure). You can use a wire wheel brush on an electric drill, and a hand sander. When it is completely smooth, wipe with a mineral spirits soaked rag (or paint thinner) then paint that part of the rim with a quality primer. Maybe two coats. This is what I saw another guy do on the other Lexus forum, and it worked very well for me. No more leaks. I’ll try to post some pics.
OEM rims for IS350 FSport RWD but don't think they're chrome. Your pix look like GS rims. Just got Foy's Tire Service to fix it for pretty cheap - only $13 - so left a $2 tip. But they didn't do all that sanding & priming stuff you mention.

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-27-20 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 01:32 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

X2^^^^^ If you like your wheels & tires......Total mess
Old 07-31-20, 09:35 AM
chuck58
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a follow up, I did not take a photo of the wheels after I cleaned them up, but wire-brush, sanding them, and application of a quality primer seems to have done the job. It's been almost five months now, and the slow, irritating leak in both tires, is no more. FWIW.
chuck
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (07-31-20)