Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel lock question as well as PSI on them...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 08:26 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel lock question as well as PSI on them...

Hey guys,

I am really confused and I do not know who to trust. I believe the stock lug nuts on our cars are supposed to be somewhere in the 70 psi range...

The wheel locks I have on my car are at 75 PSI and I was told by my mechanic that it is bad. Wheel locks should be no more than 20 psi.

My neighbor worked for a rim shop a few months ago and told me that all the PSI's should be the same in regards to the lock and lug nuts.....

I am purchasing new tires and would like to loosen up the wheel locks so I dont risk "discount tire" breaking my locks....

Is there a certain way locks have to be taken? Someone told me if I loosened up one lock, I could risk the wheel blowing off as I am loosening the lock...

Please let me know what you guys think. ANy input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot for you help.

Bryan
Old 10-07-03, 09:18 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Awhile back I had the same questions. Can't seem to locate the post. Could be from at the original Clublexus.com website hosting before it was moved.

Well to give you summary. Yes, you are to tighten the wheel lock to be the same with the other 4 regular lug nuts or else you will get rotor warpage. I forgot which of the two popular wheel lock manufacturer, McGard or Gorilla, that I read the FAQ regarding torquing the wheel lock. When I get the chance I will find it again. Basically you would loosen the wheel lock first and then the other four lug nuts before you raise the car. When you remount the wheel you would torque the regular lug nuts to 70lbs before you torque the wheel lock. Also, NEVER USE A IMPACT WRENCH use a good manual wrench to remove and tighten the lug nuts and wheel locks. I use a Gorilla Wrench (powerful leverage) and a torque wrench (both purchased from TireRack).

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 10-07-03 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 09:21 PM
Wald GS

Thanks for you input so far Chuh!!

Should I just buy a torque wrench and set it to 70 psi? BTW I have mcgards and I am afraid of breaking the key...

Last edited by Wald GS; 10-07-03 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 09:30 PM
ChuH
Instructor

LexAristo:

See following link on installation:

http://www.mcgard.com/custserv/tech_support.asp

Go to the following site to purchase the Gorilla Extendable Power Wrench (the one the come with our Lexus is useless compare to these) and adjustable torque wrench. Never had to struggle to remove lug nuts.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/tools_all.jsp

Never had any problem damaging the key. I have a Gorilla wheel lock though. Different design from the McGard.

Chu...
Old 10-08-03, 12:14 AM
Wald GS

Originally posted by ChuH
LexAristo:

See following link on installation:

http://www.mcgard.com/custserv/tech_support.asp

Go to the following site to purchase the Gorilla Extendable Power Wrench (the one the come with our Lexus is useless compare to these) and adjustable torque wrench. Never had to struggle to remove lug nuts.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/tools_all.jsp

Never had any problem damaging the key. I have a Gorilla wheel lock though. Different design from the McGard.

Chu...
Autozone has a torque wrench for like 24.00. hehee. Are you running 70 PSI? BTW is there a special procedure when putting the lug nuts on? Clockwise?

Thanks
Old 10-08-03, 12:34 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally posted by LexAristo
Autozone has a torque wrench for like 24.00. hehee. Are you running 70 PSI? BTW is there a special procedure when putting the lug nuts on? Clockwise?

Thanks
Using your regular or Gorilla wrench. Do a star configuration or every other one (clockwise or counter-clockwise doesn't matter) with the wheel lock being last. Lightly tighten but not over tighten. Lower your car a bit so the wheel does not move then use the torque wrench and tighten further until the torque wrench clicks to the settings you made. Make sure you follow the star configuration with the locking nut being last also.

I am running 76 lbs. on a GS430. No sure about yours. Check your manual for proper torque setting.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/torque.htm

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 10-08-03 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 06:43 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque is measured in foot-lbs...not psi.

PSI is a unit of pressure........very different from torque..